• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New and Questions

ZakRhyno

Hello everybody first time posting to the forums and new I?m new around here. I just gotten my 2007 Silver Chevy Avalanche and first I got to say that, I?m loving it! It?s only been a week and a few days, but that don?t really matter. :D  
Well life is not being so well to me and I have to pay a car payment or the place to live. The place to live can be move from where I want it to. Thus I will be living out of my car, this will free up a lot of money. Thus paying for my bills and school so I can get ahead and not have that much debt is a better deal. Well with only a two or so week left I?m making plans to move from room to truck. I have a few issues I?m trying to look in to and would greatly like any feedback on my questions any of you can give.
1. I?m looking in to a top shell for my truck the only one I can find are SnugTops which cost about $2,400. For now I only have the flaps that come with the truck. This seems well crazy is something this money worth it? Is there something else I can get?
2. Will put in duel batteries help me not drain my truck if I try to get an inverter to charge my laptop or cell phone? I plan on putting in a Chey Wifi so I can get internet in my car.
3. Is there an option to have an outlet added to my car that maybe could run off battery power and solar panel on top of the shell so I won?t have to fear of draining my battery power?
4.    Where are the backup senors? I think they may be having a problem but can't find them.
5.    Can I upgrade my navigation system to something more modern then with a DVD for maps in it? Something from the factory?

Keep your eye on the for sale section the Snugtops come up ever so often. I see them on Craigslist also.  :welcome:

First welcome to the site.

Z66 Butch is correct the Snugtop does come up for sale from time to time in the for sale section. It is the only hard top cover I have seen for the AV. There is another option that is much cheaper though..... A fabric tent made to fit the AV. They also are for sale sometimes on this site or on EBAY or at a dealer.
A second battery would help for items you wish to run a long time without the motor running. Check out the threads mentioning "Painless dual battery hookup" or something like that. For long time draining using a deep cycle battery as the second battery is better than a cranking battery as the second battery.
I would think a laptop or cell phone could be charged with a simple car charger plug and you could save money on not needing an inverter. I am not an electrical guru though and maybe someone in the know will answer that for you soon. I don't know how well the solar chargers work but they can be found.
The backup sensors on an AV are the four little round things on the rear bumper.
The navigation for a 2007 can probably be swapped out with the right connections, just to let you know the update nav discs run $200 so an aftermarket nav radio may be cheaper in the long run. If you check a company called Crutchfield they can get you set up with a good nav unit and all the right connectors for a good price, they have great customer service.

Good luck moving into the Av!  I guess if you need to live in a vehicle, this is the one to do it in.  You may want to pick up a gun for personal protection as well, just something to consider.

Vaeagleav said:
First welcome to the site.

Z66 Butch is correct the Snugtop does come up for sale from time to time in the for sale section. It is the only hard top cover I have seen for the AV. There is another option that is much cheaper though..... A fabric tent made to fit the AV. They also are for sale sometimes on this site or on EBAY or at a dealer.
A second battery would help for items you wish to run a long time without the motor running. Check out the threads mentioning "Painless dual battery hookup" or something like that. For long time draining using a deep cycle battery as the second battery is better than a cranking battery as the second battery.
I would think a laptop or cell phone could be charged with a simple car charger plug and you could save money on not needing an inverter. I am not an electrical guru though and maybe someone in the know will answer that for you soon. I don't know how well the solar chargers work but they can be found.
The backup sensors on an AV are the four little round things on the rear bumper.
The navigation for a 2007 can probably be swapped out with the right connections, just to let you know the update nav discs run $200 so an aftermarket nav radio may be cheaper in the long run. If you check a company called Crutchfield they can get you set up with a good nav unit and all the right connectors for a good price, they have great customer service.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the AV has space for two batteries already? I see one area and than another place that looks like a battery would fit.

ZakRhyno you are correct that there is space under the hood for a second battery. Some AVs have the second battery tray too but most don't. So if the AV in question doesn't have a battery tray then the tray and retaining hardware needs to be purchased. As well as some sort of wiring harness/fuse and battery selector switch etc.

It does have the tray. Then can one guess it supports dual batteries? I still plan on getting that one with deep cycle battery.

Back