• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How big of a monitor can fit in a 2003 console?

redheadedrod

SM 2017
PM 2015
I am looking to put a monitor for my computer into the console and I am wondering what is the biggest sized monitor that can be fit in the dash console. I have a Z71 and it is the standard console that came in this 2003.

I have seen where people have put up to a 10 inch screen. I will be using a bare screen with no buttons or anything so I need to know the biggest screen that will fit in this spot without needing to make it over sized? I want it to look as factory as possible and putting a 15 inch screen in might look a tad out of place here.

This summer I am also looking at building a prototype dash cluster replacement but still trying to decide if I want to build 3 seperate screens into the cluster to cover the current gauge packages or if I will replace the whole face with 1 or 2 screens like they did with the Bentley at CES 2013.

Will also be working on building a custom midgate to house new speakers and amplifiers so I can keep the interior looking reasonably stock. Having 2 10" subwoofers in the rear will give me room to mount the PC where the current factory BOSE sub is now. I don't want to mount any amplifiers or speakers under the rear seats because I want the truck to appear stock (Other than the screens).

No one can help me out?

I am looking to do something similar to the install in this thread:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,99536.0.html

In this thread the largest mentioned is a 10" but I want to use a bare screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I got 12 inches in there. :eek:
I could probably have fit 15 inches in mine if I tried but I wanted to keep the center vent (at least part of it) as majority of the airflow when the A/C is on comes from there.
I tested later and learned that if you block off the center vent, the air gets pushed to the others.
I can tell you though that it will affect cooling of the interior a little bit during the summer months

I guess grnxnam and Dluvr22 are the only 2 that I heard of putting a 12 inch ones. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Not in the dash, the center console... Where the two 12v accessory slots are and 2 storage slots.

In the thread I mentioned the very first posting has a picture of a 9" screen going into the console piece.

grnxnam Mentions in the post he thinks a 10" will fit but the 9" that is in there looks like the bezel takes up quite a bit of the room and I will be using a bare monitor.

Trying to figure out the biggest sized monitor in the console. Not the dash. Once I have the PC operational and can remove the head unit and have either replaced or moved the HVAC controls then I will look at adding a second screen in the dash.

Thanks!

If it comes with a bezel attached then yes 9 inch is the maximum.
You may be able to get creative with a 10 inch screen that is not in the monitor housing but there are things you must consider.

One thing you must consider is the aspect ratio of the screen
Another thing to consider as you build your CarPC is the future. If you don't want to keep upgrading screens which in my opinion is the hardest part of a CarPC build, then a multi-touch touchscreen is the way to go.
Also are you going to be running in the native windows mode or using on of the CarPC frontends out there vs. building your own front end?
Finally what is the up and down viewable angle of the monitor

That 10 inch screen will more than likely have to be of a 4:3 aspect ratio. A 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ration LCD will not fit.
At this time there is only 1 multi-touch touchscreen panel out there and it is with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the 10.1 inch monitor.
Lastly most monitors have a much narrower up/down viewable angle. You want to consider that before building your console to make sure the angle of the monitor allows you to view it easily when you want to use it.

So consider what you plan to be doing with the screen to make your decision

Typical open frame 10.4 inch LCD monitor with a 4:3 aspect ratio
Size(LWD)(mm): 226.5 ? 178.3 ? 10.5

10.1 LCD in a case with 16:9 aspect ratio
Size(LWD)(mm): 253.5?162.5?35

I could go on with the differences and choices but you and I will both get a headache.
Start by measuring the dimensions of your console and comparing to these monitor specs and go from there.

By the way if you ever change your mind and want to go straight to the in dash route, I do have a spare 12 inch monitor that I am thinking of letting go of as I bought two for my build to be safe.

Keep your eyes on the road too. Trying to look down at that screen in the center console while driving is a very bad idea.

I plan to only use frame type monitors with no bezels. I won't need any buttons.
They will all be multi-touch and compatible with Windows 8.

I plan to use OM as my front end but will also make use of the operating system at some times. The main setup will be to use OM as the interface.

I will be incorporating voice and gestures as well as I can.

It will be a project to be sure.

A 10 inch will work, but requires alot of modification. You will also have to build a support to hold the screen, as for room behind it gets cramped real fast. A suggestion: build a support in the slot and place the components beneath the cup holders in the center console.

Ok thanks, how much area does one of those need? There is lots of depth behind the pockets that are there now. You could easily mount a single or dual din radio there.

I will be picking up a junkyard console as soon as I can and will be "chopping" that up.
I currently am working on a custom midgate to hold amplifiers, controllers and 10" subs now.

I currently have a BOSE sound system in this truck and that will all be removed. I am using the junkyard pieces to build my custom pieces so I can revert the truck back to stock if I ever need to.

In the new console I plan to put a monitor where the 12volt plugs and 2 pockets are now.
Where the subwoofer is now I plan to build a compartment for the PC.
I will hopefully be getting an all in one box from a guy on mp3car that will pretty much do everything but the radio and this will go under the console storage pocket where the BOSE amplifier is now.
I have a DEI HDRadio module as well and will likely place this where the XM module is now.

I hope to have room behind the monitor to build any other needed electronics to interface into the truck and put them there.
This truck will have additional computers placed in it throughout the vehicle for a variety of functions but this is the main setup for my PC.
I am looking at potentially having a small screen at the rear of the console for the rear passengers to be able to access the computer directly but I may also put Tablets in the rear of the back seats that will use the main pc as a media server as well as any internet they need. The rear passenger part I haven't worked out yet. Depends on how well the rest works out.

Coming back to this....

I measured the console and the insert currently in there is basically 10" by 6".
If we do the math and don't look at the aspect ratio we get a diagonal of 11.6".

Converting these to metric and we have 254mm x 152.4mm.
This would match up pretty well with the mentioned 10.1 monitor in a case... Remove the case and It would likely fill up the verticle very well and the horizontal would leave me enough room to probably place USB ports next to it. 

Another option then with this is if I remove this small trim piece from my console and build a new piece to house my monitor I can probably make the opening a little bigger since there is about an inch border all the way around the console insert. Doing some calculations assuming 11" wide I would need only a little over 6" tall to gain a 16:9 aspect monitor. The room would actually easily accommodate a 16:10 ratio monitor as well and be more even so either way would work. Assuming 11" wide and 16:9 ratio this would calculate out to a 12.5" screen so a 12inch screen SHOULD fit.

The depth on this console insert is similar to a radio but since the insert is separated with a divider I can't go that deep with it. But if I am building my own holder this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Hmm, if I can find a nice 1920x1080 resolution 12" screen with capacitive multi touch screen that would be the best... ;)
Even a 1200x800 screen or something similar would be nice...

Could likely use the same screen in the dash as well.

I will have to remove the console piece and look at the mounting system a little better and see how difficult it will be to build a new one. Thinking if I get a junkyard console I can take an old one, cut the trim piece all apart for the base of the piece that holds the insert and build a new body on it to hold the monitor...

Back