• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013, 2012 new lower oil pressure for 5.3s?

Thomcat

SM 2013
Rather than burying this under an old unrelated post I'd like to start a new post to get feedback from late model Avy owners. I've noticed a consistent reproducible drop in oil pressure in my '12 and '13 Avys (and in my wife's previous '11 Tahoe) equipped with the 5.3 AFM Vortec. We have a lot of recent Black Diamond owners who can provide some good info in this area.

Running Mobil1 5W-30, once the coolant is warmed to 210 F (mid gauge) for about 20 minutes in warm weather, my previous '07 Avy always idled 40 psi (mid gauge) and ran at up to 55 psi at highway speeds....BUT... it appears that mid model '11 and later Avys once fully warmed, idle at about 25 psi/600 rpm and climb to 40 psi/1000 rpm and above and remain around 40 psi at highway speeds. I've even test rode a new late '13 at the dealer's and got the same result. Oil levels are fine and no oil warning light. I'm not too worried because all are over the minimum 10 psi per 1000 rpm rule of thumb for safe oil lubrication.

However; it is a little unsettling to see the oil gauge needle climb faster than the tach coming off an idle. Can't be a bad oil pump or stuck oil pressure regulator or a coincidence .......possibly something as simple as oil cooler placement or more complex like a late model engine rework to address the AFM oil spray/stuck ring problem. No sense taking it to a dealer for evaluation just yet because I don't want them addressing a non problem and this forum is probably the best place to get actual owner feedback on whether these are normal readings for later models.

Now that summer and warm weather is upon us, perhaps other '12 and '13 owners can provide feedback if they've also have oil pressure at around 20-25 psi once warmed at idle?

I been wondering to if any body with new 2013 has been seeing a drop in oil pressure when engine reaches  210 F  so went to the dealer about the problem so I thought  but was told that it was OK. I told them that my 07 had great oil pressure so why not on the 2013 models this what the service person who is a friend of mind gave me this from GM.

22psig at 1,000 engine RPM
30psig at 2,000 engine RPM
33psig at 3,000 engine RPM

So I told him if it gets any lower some body going to catch hell and I would start with him if something tears up.

PS. my oil pressure when hot running between 18 to 20 pisg

I noticed it low (or lower than what I expected) on my 2011 Tahoe and my 2013 Avalanche. I questioned the dealer with the Tahoe, they said it was normal. I would have guess it was around 20 to 25 at idle. though the pressure gauges on these are pretty much just an estimation.

WD13 said:
22psig at 1,000 engine RPM
30psig at 2,000 engine RPM
33psig at 3,000 engine RPM

This is good information.  Glad to see we have connections to actual dealer technicians.

When the time is right, would you feel comfortable asking what we really want to know?

Things like:

Why are the pressures lower on the later models?

What, specifically, was changed that would cause them to run lower?

Was running at higher pressures causing some unintended consequences?

At work, we usually end up having to ask all of the proverbial 5-Whys before coming to a satisfactory technical solution.

Come to think of it, that's probably how long this thread will run.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Minimum oil pressure for any engine to run and not eat it self is 8 psi. I once had a 49 chevy truck with a 6 in it and no oil filter and when it was hot had no pressure at all at idle and I put 60000 on it before I joined the military in 86. Stop worrying about oil pressure that is 20 psi at idle    :E:  :beating:

ronthehandymanga said:
Stop worrying about oil pressure that is 20 psi at idle. 

Some of us are wondering whether the higher oil pressures in the '08 to early '11 models may have contributed to AFM issues.

There were concerns (for various reasons) expressed in other posts about the differences in oil pressures during the GMT-900 platform run.

So, another member created a stand-alone thread.

Nick

ronthehandymanga said:
Minimum oil pressure for any engine to run and not eat it self is 8 psi. I once had a 49 chevy truck with a 6 in it and no oil filter and when it was hot had no pressure at all at idle and I put 60000 on it before I joined the military in 86. Stop worrying about oil pressure that is 20 psi at idle    :E:  :beating:

There is no problem with the lower oil pressure in itself, concern is why the engines are running at reduced pressures....possibly a redesign to correct the AFM problem and if so what other changes were made to operate the AFM at lower pressures, change in lifters, AFM valve, oil spray baffles, etc.

Rule of thumb for modern engines is 10 psi per 1000 rpm regardless of what was passable for engines over half a century ago...if you ran an Avy engine at 8 psi on 1950s grade oil (don't think they even graded it then) it would seize before you could get to the grocery store......as I remember it, the gauge on my '53 model 210 was 0-30 psi and it ran about 15 psi on a good day....of course there was no need to use oil to lube the upper end.... no hydraulic lifters.......no valve-in-head (reserved for Buicks and Caddys).....other than using the oil pump for journals, bearings and seals all you really had was splash lubrication......and there was almost as much oil in the air cleaner reservoir as in the engine sump. Mid century Chevys had no power steering, no power brakes, no A/C, vacuum windshield wipers that stalled on an upgrade, ran at 145F, backup lamps only on certain models, etc. but they did have a long list of options: a 2 speed auto tranny over the non synchro 3-on-the-tree manual, AM radio with antenna, heater, and chrome airplanes.....and no fun to drive.

Also in looking under the hood I do not remember having and AFM sticker with a bar code  on the '07 hood......both the '12 and '13 have this sticker (a coded list of AFM mods ????) on the master cylinder.....possibly to tell the mechanic up front in lieu of looking up the glove box RPO code.?

Attachments

• DSCN0790.JPG
    DSCN0790.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0792.JPG
    DSCN0792.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 135
(n)  8 psi even on todays engines would and have survived, I posted about a 72 402 that was a new rebuild went from NJ to MN on 18 psi at speed and made it there running 70 mph and when I got there changed the pump and it then and to this day has 60 psi at speed. I understand that AMF has problems but pointing to oil pressure as the fix has no bearing  on the subject. I have in the past and now say, If you want to know the true oil pressure use a mechanical gauge and stop relying on an electrical sending unit. another thing that may be giving you these reading could be the bypass on the filter and or the pressure regulator in the pump itself. as a racer in the day I would do mods to control said fluctuations. I'm not trying to anger anyone,  just to inform.    (y)

ronthehandymanga said:
I understand that AMF has problems but pointing to oil pressure as the fix has no bearing  on the subject.

No pun, intended.

You may be right; however, some of us have our own way of reconciling technical questions.

Some engineering changes have been performed on the later LC9's.  I, personally, am only interested in knowing why GM made the changes.

If anyone picks up on something that General Motors has stated, or written, please feel free to post.

As always, thanks a million for your help!

Nick

Saw my 2013 guage drop oil pressure once and yes it got my attention  :eek: at the time, but it rose back up just as fast. I have just over 3,800 miles from new in 5 months now and haven't noticed it happened again. My old 2003 5.3 Avalanche never dropped at all in the 10 years I drove it...

Dads 2012 has low oil pressure like the others. I noticed it when we picked it up from the dealer when it came in from ordering it. Me personally, I was concerned but he says "its got 100k mile warranty, if it blows up it blows up, if it makes it 100k it wasn't a problem" lol. I just assumed that maybe the sensor was faulty but it does make sense that lowered the oil pressure to relieve the oil consumption problems with AFM.

I have noticed this also, but I have a 2009 so I have no clue why this is happening to others. I just thought it was normal.  I idle at around 25, regular driving it stays at 40 and if I get on it it will bump up a little around 45 and then settle back down.

Thomcat said:
Also in looking under the hood I do not remember having and AFM sticker with a bar code  on the '07 hood......both the '12 and '13 have this sticker (a coded list of AFM mods ????) on the master cylinder.....possibly to tell the mechanic up front in lieu of looking up the glove box RPO code.?

On my '08, there's an ACA label on the reservoir.  It's a text, rather than a product bar code.

Thought I saw AFM somewhere under the hood.  Turns out it was on the booster.

Attachments

• Labels.jpg
    Labels.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Labels 2.jpg
    Labels 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 91
Nick@Night said:
On my '08, there's an ACA label on the reservoir.  It's a text, rather than a product bar code.

Thought I saw AFM somewhere under the hood.  Turns out it was on the booster.

I thought those were just supplier codes.  ???

ghoster said:
I thought those were just supplier codes.  ???

I, agree.

My guess is the letters AFM are nothing more than an intriguing coincidence, in this case.

Wouldn't suprise me to find AFM labels under the hood of pre-AFM model years.

Nick

Nick@Night said:
I, agree.

My guess is the letters AFM are nothing more than an intriguing coincidence, in this case.

Wouldn't suprise me to find AFM labels under the hood of pre-AFM model years.

Nick

It was originally called DoD, Displacement on Demand. I don't remember (or probably never knew) when they changed the name of it. I see those little stickers all over the place on my trucks.

Back