• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Range Technology, AFM Gone

W**T**D

Just installed a Range Technology module on my 2013 Avalanche to eliminate AFM.
It took all of 2 seconds to install and that's it, no more going from 4 cyl, 8 cyl and back, makes the truck more responsive.
I went with Range Technology as all I wanted to do was to eliminate AFM.
If you take the Range module out, the truck will revert back to having AFM working.
It works great if all you want to do is get rid of AFM.

details man, need more details. Got a link to the product? How's it work? How much?

Here's the link:
http://www.rangetechnology.com/?gclid=COPo-bOBhLcCFcU7MgodqGQAQg

just plug it into the OBC under the dash, takes 2 seconds, all it does is tell the computer to stay in V-8 mode.
you can also get a module to keep it in 4 cyl mode longer, but don't know why any one would want that.

it retails for 199.00, but when you order put in  "Camaro5" in the code to get a 15.00 discount plus free ship.

you can talk to an Adam at Range Technology, great guy.

A lot of guys with Camaro's with the L99 engine are using these.

hope this helps.

Nick@Night said:
Could you expand on this part, a little?

Nick
by responsive, it just eliminates the slight lack going from 4 cyl to 8, other than that it's just like driving the truck as a V-8.
hope this helps

Hey I'm thinking about ordering the range tomorrow haven't seem it much on this site. I have 96k on my truck wondering if I should get it? How's your experience been so far? Thanks

Ok mileage figures just in.......I really care more about comfort and utility and don't give a crap about gas mileage or I wouldn't have bought Avys. My normal gas mileage of 16-17 mpg in mixed small town mountain driving is just fiine.

That being said I had a chance to play with it a bit because I took three identical round trips from Harpers Ferry to Gettysburg over the past months, 2012 Avy, Shell regular gas (same tank of gas round trip), flat ground for a change, all highway non stop driving at the posted speed limits of 65 and 55,  6 spd, 20" wheels,  2:42 rear end, fresh Mobil 1, 8.9K on odometer

Trip with AFM active..........22.1 mpg and 21.7 return

Trip using Range module.......20.8 mpg and 20.1 return

Trip using Range module and a Weathertech deflector over the closed sunroof............21.9 mpg going and 21.6 return

It appears that under ideal condtions the AFM may actually save a miniscule amount of gas when active, but not as much as you could get by removing the roof rack crossbars or using a sunroof deflector. I figure that the deflector must reduce the wind resistance of the rack cross rails.

The Range module worked perfectly by keeping in V8 and vehicle reverted to AFM operation as soon as removed. Worked fine in the '12 and the '13 but I don't plan on running it full time just yet. Waiting to see if the post '11s updated engines with the valve cover/PCV, AFM discharge valve baffle, and redesigned valve lifters mods have fixed the high mmileage oil burning problem, especially since GM continues to use AFM technology in the 2014 V8/4 and V6/4 engines.

I recall reading somewhere regarding AFM in Pontiac G8 GTs it was supposed to increase fuel mileage by around 8%.  Your results show a little less than that which would make sense as the truck would probably spend less time running on 4 cylinders than the car.

Honestly, you can buy a used Predator tuner for $200 and do WAY more than just turn the AFM off.  :rolleyes:

I was looking into it a few months ago and ended up backing out. At the moment I don't have exhaust or anything on the truck I would get a preditor but I've heard if you really don't know what your doing you could screw up the truck pretty bad. I'm more worried in the engine getting messed up with the afm I have 96k on the truck and don't wanna think about any engine problems anytime soon

I have never used a tuner or seen a tuner used in my life. Plug it in, and use it like an old calculator game.

You can simply use any tune they have pre-loaded; performance, fuel mileage, power, etc.... Turn the 4cy/8cy mode off. See and clear check engine codes.

Its not scary, you just need to do it.

Thomcat said:
Ok mileage figures just in.......I really care more about comfort and utility and don't give a crap about gas mileage or I wouldn't have bought Avys. My normal gas mileage of 16-17 mpg in mixed small town mountain driving is just fiine.

That being said I had a chance to play with it a bit because I took three identical round trips from Harpers Ferry to Gettysburg over the past months, 2012 Avy, Shell regular gas (same tank of gas round trip), flat ground for a change, all highway non stop driving at the posted speed limits of 65 and 55,  6 spd, 20" wheels,  2:42 rear end, fresh Mobil 1, 8.9K on odometer

Trip with AFM active..........22.1 mpg and 21.7 return

Trip using Range module.......20.8 mpg and 20.1 return

Trip using Range module and a Weathertech deflector over the closed sunroof............21.9 mpg going and 21.6 return

It appears that under ideal condtions the AFM may actually save a miniscule amount of gas when active, but not as much as you could get by removing the roof rack crossbars or using a sunroof deflector. I figure that the deflector must reduce the wind resistance of the rack cross rails.

The Range module worked perfectly by keeping in V8 and vehicle reverted to AFM operation as soon as removed. Worked fine in the '12 and the '13 but I don't plan on running it full time just yet. Waiting to see if the post '11s updated engines with the valve cover/PCV, AFM discharge valve baffle, and redesigned valve lifters mods have fixed the high mmileage oil burning problem, especially since GM continues to use AFM technology in the 2014 V8/4 and V6/4 engines.
You meant 3.42 rear, right?

Speedfreak95 said:
I was looking into it a few months ago and ended up backing out. At the moment I don't have exhaust or anything on the truck I would get a preditor but I've heard if you really don't know what your doing you could screw up the truck pretty bad. I'm more worried in the engine getting messed up with the afm I have 96k on the truck and don't wanna think about any engine problems anytime soon

I have an 07 with 84k which had an occasional slight stutter when at stop lights.  I bought the range, installed it and have been running it full time since October.  I believe the stutter was caused by the 7 piston getting slightly fouled when switching into 4 cyl on the highway.  With the range in, the stutter is just about gone, I need to change the plugs out and I bet it will go away altogether.  I had also been burning a lot of oil, I have read that with eliminating the AFM, that oil consumption will go down.  I just had an oil change, and will repost in a couple weeks with an oil consumption update.  My gas mileage gas gone down, from ~16 to now ~14.  I run 70 miles a say on Long Island highways (against traffic) with about 20 being stop and go side roads.  20" wheels, k&n filter, otherwise stock.

The added bonus is the range unit has blue lights which illuminates the driver side footwell.

I bought the range AFM disable and I noticed a huge difference in how the truck performed.  I didn't like how the truck would shudder/lag when hitting the gas out of V4. 

Anyone have experience with Range dropping to 4 Cy to save gas?  Seems like a way to get better mileage but sounds like most want it for 8 Cy  only.

Which one did you get Range AFM Plus or Range AFM Disabler. Usually they get the Range AFM Disabler to stop it from going into 4 Cylinder Mode

The aerodynamics and weight keep this truck in 8cyl mode almost all the time anyway. There is no benefit for the 4cyl switch because 90% of the time it would kick in would be only for a few seconds on a flat road, or when you are already coasting to a slower speed to stop or going down hill. My MPG didn't change one bit turning off AFM.

My parents have an 07 Suburban LTZ with 45k on the clock. Obviously it doesn't get driven much but lately it's been making 1500 mile round trips to Gatlinburg often to clean out my grandparents vacation home to prep it for sale. Two trips ago they got a low oil message. Filled it and got oil changed. Yesterday they got back and I decided to check it. No oil on the dipstick. 1 quart filled it back up. I'm pushing hard for them to get a Range unit. They were worried about mpg loss. I asked them if half a mile per gallon was better than a new engine...

Maybe knowing most don't see much of a drop will finally convince them!

If there is any MPG loss, that can be made back with changing driving habits alone. The benefits outweigh everything else.

If left in 4cyl/8cyl mode they are open to these problems:
- fouled out spark plugs
- loss of cylinder compression
- oil loss
- emission system wearing faster from burning oil
- valve, cam, lifter damage

Considering  the cost of repairs today it may not be wise to drop to 4cyl all the time .

Well this would be a good follow up review for the OP. Its been 9 years, still have the truck, and what's the long term review of the Range AFM Disabler.

Well this would be a good follow up review for the OP. Its been 9 years, still have the truck, and what's the long term review of the Range AFM Disabler.
Probably won't hear from original poster since he was last logged into this site May 8th, 2019.
(FYI if you hover over some members name you can see when they were last on site and further info.)

Probably won't hear from original poster since he was last logged into this site May 8th, 2019.
(FYI if you hover over some members name you can see when they were last on site and further info.)
Thanks, I wasnt aware of that. Ill remember for next time

About 5 years ago I was having problems with the lifters collapsing even after installing new ones. I found a website that caught my attention and seemed legit. One sends in the ECM and you get it back within the week. For $50 which includes return shipping. They will disable the AFM mode. Please read in total. This guy researched alot into the AFM and really knows his stuff.

Here is the link: https://www.lt1swap.com/afm_delete.htm

Back