• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Few Turbo questons

beast721

Hey guys, I just had a few turbo questions. Ive been doing alot of reading but cant really find the answers im looking for. I have 2003 z71 5.3 Avalanche. Now Im not looking for extreme HP. Im just looking to get a little more Umph. While keeping my fuel mileage. How much boost can a stock avalanche hold without doing any mods. Only mods I have is CAI and Magnaflow Exhaust. I dont mind doing some mods. Just trying to get to deep(right now) such as Computer re-program.  Any info Would be greatly appreicated. Thanks

I think you can do about 600 hp with the stock engine and tranny, which means you could do about 12-13 pounds of boost.

The previous owner of my son's truck was seeing up to 11 pounds from his supercharger.

Needing injectors depends upon how much boost you are talking about, whether you have a flex-fuel truck, etc.

There's a ton of things to consider ....

I'm running bigger injectors (44 pounds) and a booster fuel pump.  Will probably be going to 60 pound injectors soon or increase fuel pressure.  Saw 92% injector duty cycle today shifting at 6100 rpm - just reprogrammed the truck to shift at 6300 ....

I Was Only Thinking Like 5Psi I'm Not Wanting To Get Crazy Just A LittleMore Pick Up And A Little More Power When Pulling. Also I Don'tHave TheFlex Fuel

Sounds like you may want to check out a supercharger too.  Some say a supercharger does best a low rpms off the line and for towing. Several members have this type of supercharger and there are many good reviews by them on it.

http://www.magnacharger.com/p-71-tahoe-yukon-suburban-avalanche-48l-53l-2011-2012-magnuson-supercharger.aspx

Wow I've Never Seen That Before. I'll Look In To That. Say If I Decided To Go Turbo,What Size Would I Need For A Low RPm Spool. Say Around 1800-2000 Rpm

Just realize that no matter what you do there will be pro's and con's.

The cost of a turbo or super charger will be expensive and will require at a minimum new injectors and programming. You will likely shorten the life of your transmission as well since the 4l60e transmission is a weak transmission due to its design. It has been around for decades as a 700r4 transmission and some upgrades are available but you still are likely to shorten its lifespan. Depends too on how you drive it.

You may also require a larger exhaust to handle the output since you are putting more air into it. It is possible that you could actually GAIN gas millage with forced induction when driving it gingerly but depends on the setup.

If it was cheap and easy we all would have them and they would be a factory option...

But if you have the money and time you won't be disappointed. ;)

I would never use NO2 on any of my vehicles because it is so variable. Forced induction is easier to tune because you have performance you can track easier.

Back