• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

rear corner step bumper

09chevyavy

okay guys I have a new idea going through my money wasting brain of mine. The new silverados will come with a corner setp bumper like the older avs right??? so...... wouldn't it be awesome to get one and have it color matched and then mod the mounts to fit on the 07+ avs? I think it would be an awesome addition. while yes, you CAN get the steps from AMP research but I am going for that one off custom look here guys like I know most of you are and I think it would be absolutely amazing to do and have.

09chevyavy said:
okay guys I have a new idea going through my money wasting brain of mine. The new silverados will come with a corner setp bumper like the older avs right??? so...... wouldn't it be awesome to get one and have it color matched and then mod the mounts to fit on the 07+ avs? I think it would be an awesome addition. while yes, you CAN get the steps from AMP research but I am going for that one off custom look here guys like I know most of you are and I think it would be absolutely amazing to do and have.

I have thought of this same thing...
Hard to say if the body lines and width will be right...
But it would be nice to have a step right there... I am tall but that bumper is still a little tall for me...

I agree with that one. But it cants be that hard to line them up. Also although AMP makes those steps, I just don't like the way they look, the corner step just looks good

i was saying test drive a new silverado take it home pull off the bumper and attach to avy to see if it fits  >:D then if it does put the bumper back on take the truck back and order a bumper  :laugh:

I'm not sure it will work, the one I saw at the auto show was a insert to a chrome metal bumper

09chevyavy said:

Revving an old thread!

Any idea what "09chevyavy" is referring to when he mentions - "...get the steps from AMP research..."

I ask, as I too miss the step in the bumper.  But if there something like this for the 2013 Avalanche, it would work:

https://www.amp-research.com/amp-research-75306-01a-bedstep-rear-bumper-access

TIA  (y)

I assume what you found SpottyJ is what 09chevyavy was referring to for using on an AV. There were several products on the market years ago when the AV was being made but products may be rare now. There used to be a company that made a step like that that went into the hitch receiver and telescoped out when needed when the tailgate was lowered, otherwise it could be used close in when tailgate was up.
Earlier posts were referring to a more standard step corner bumper on the Silverado and I don't think anyone took the time or trouble to bring a tape measure and see if it would fit on an AV. I imagine for that mod, it could be done if you had access to fab equipment to make a set of custom brackets.
I guess someone could check out the new GMC multi-function tailgate to see if it could be transplanted to an AV as well since it has built in steps. Again I would guess some customization would be needed as well as a big wallet to buy the tailgate.
Of course you could eliminate having to climb into the bed if you got a Bedslide device that would also prevent wear and tear on the tailgate and prevent the possible breakage of the tailgate cables.

Thanks for the reply.  I have a homemade bedslide.  But still need to get in the, and now that I am bit older, it is getting harder.  I miss the steps on the ?original? avalanche.

Will startookung for folks who have an old step laying around from Amp research. 

Thanks again.

I miss that corner too.  My search to find a good replacement failed... However, I have learned to use what small area of the bumper is exposed when the bed is down to get in the bed the same way.  That said, I now always use 2 hands to grip the top corner handle whereas I used to be confident enough to use 1 hand with the original AV step.  I've found that this is also better done with the opposite foot and a quick foot shuffle once up.  Definitely not as safe, but it does work.

Tossing this at an old thread for visibility.

My conclusion is that the bumper is essentially the same fitment as 2000-2006 GM SUVs like Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, and Escalades. 2003-2006 non-cladded Avalanches too. They should all fit 2007-2013 Avalanches.

If you're going aftermarket, the choices are slim.
Only three companies I've found market a bumper they say will fit an '07-'13 Avalanche: Move, Iron bull, and Buckstop. Only Move seems to have steps. Move bumpers are sold as kits you gotta weld together yourself.
Several Other companies make Rear bumpers for 2000-2006 GM SUVs, but Hammerhead is the only one I've seen with steps.

Some people have put newer stepped Silverado bumpers on. Apparently the only real difference is the width of the frame and thus the mounting brackets need to be modified.

Trying to get Bodyguard Armor to make one as what they have intrigues me. https://www.bodyguardbumpers.com/new-product-requests/

They make a 2001-2008 Silverado bumper, and it looks like it would only require a minor redesign in the mounting arrangement (either at the bumper or in the mounting brackets).

What I'm looking for, I've only seen on a pic in one of Prompts previous threads. *don't know how to put the pic here.
Post a few more messeges. Not sure how many but it really didn't take long and then I was able to post pics on the site.
The way I do it, My pics are on google photos, select a photo, right click mouse and 'Save image as' onto a file. Then when on a message here "Attach file" - bottom left of page. A file page comes up displaying photos saved, select photo and 'Open file'. This should automatically attach the photo file, click "insert" on the file, thumbnail or full pic.
Hope that helps or someone else has a better way?

Guy on the Avalanche forum on Facebook just put 2018 GM step bumper on with some work. Looked great.

I "think" I found it...

Last edited:
Honestly, might not look bad if you paint it to match the body color.

Something about the pictures makes it look un-level. But that might just be optics.

Back