• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shifter goes into gear without applying the brakes

$2002Chevav

Hi All
I need help. I have an 02 1500 with 60K and I noticed recently that the shifter comes out of park without applying the brake. I recently had a tranny fluid and filter change so not sure if that has something to do with it. I attempted to search but have no clue what words to enter. Is it electrical or what could it be? Also how important is it. I am the only one that drives the truck so no worries of having someone pop it out of gear. Is it possible for it to come out of gear on its own. It only happens when the truck is on if this helps.
Thanks as always
Marc  :B:

Seems the interlock's simply not functioning. It's only really there in the first place to keep folk from doing something stupid. So as long as you don't do anything stupid I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sure it's repairable. Don't really know what it would take. The "switch" would be a hard mechanical interference link of some sort.

I don't have a schematic in front of me, but the interlock system either takes input from the brake light switch on the pedal or a seperate switch on the pedal.  A simple "test" would be to verify that your brake lights function properly.  if they are always on, then the switch is bad or needs to be adjusted.

you might stick your head in the footwell and look at the switch setup on the brake pedal and then verify that the switch(es) function properly (e.g., change from open to close or vice versa when the pedal is pushed).

The brae light switch is under the dash operated by the brake pedal.  I believe there is a second switch for the shift interlock.  If either fails, then the interlock will not operate correctly.  Do the brake lights work?

SpynCycle said:
The brae light switch is under the dash operated by the brake pedal.  I believe there is a second switch for the shift interlock.  If either fails, then the interlock will not operate correctly.  Do the brake lights work?

Yes the brake lights work

Back