• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

sorry if there is already a thread about this...

rachelariel

but I would really like to replace my front and rear emblems on my 2011 Avy....any ideas on the rear? my new emblems came with two tiny screws for it...so I assume it is not held with 3m only...and from my reading, I think the front can be done by simply removing the washers and pushing it through.

thanks for your advice in advance :)

The back is a lot harder. I had to remove Rhein Ed tailgate panel break off the little nubs that go through the body the use a heat gun to soften the glue and remove emblem. Be careful it's easy to dent and it leaves 2 holes in tailgate. I'm guessing your going with a polished emblem to cover the holes

Removing the rear emblem isn't that bad. 

I used paracord, I simply removed the 7 inner braids and tied one strand thru a deep well socket on each end for handles.  I was then able to "saw" thru the 3M tape around the outside edges of the OEM emblem.  You will break a couple of the braids and have to make a new "tool" before you are done. 

Using the nylon cord will keep you from scratching the paint.  Once you have the emblem removed, you will need to rub the remaining tape/adhesive off, following up with Goo-Gone.  You won't be able to tell an emblem was ever there, except for the 2 alignment holes in the tailgate.

The new emblem will probably have 2 threaded headless screws to align in the holes in the tailgate.  Test fit the new emblem BEFORE you remove the red tape covering.  I would also recommend wiping the area down with rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining wax/Goo-Gone/road grime, etc.

I just used the rear insert from ChevyMall.com

You have to drill into the center of the old emblem until you hit the material of the bezel underneath.  Then using a small screwdriver and a putty knife, pry away the gold emblem.  Clean up the bits of foil and old adhesive and stick the new insert in.

I shoulda done a walkhtrough on that one. 

Of course, this only works if you want to keep the chrome trim around the emblem.

They also have full replacement emblems that presumably have different instructions.

Back