• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

tow vehicle tires needed

edh19

I have a 2006 2500 avy . I bought new bridgestone duravis 773 tires because other tires were gone. I installed same tireshat came with truck .these new tires felt very squirly. I tow one a year but its 2000 miles . I have heard the michelin ltx ms2 were a good solid towing tire . I need help with this .I tow with a hensley so I'm setup for antisway . But the bridgestones just don't feel right . They almost feel like there not enough air in the tire but it is. Thanks for any advise.

What type tires did you get LTs. What is the load range.

I replaced the tires on my '08, 1500 LT, 6 months ago. I tow a 24' KZ Toy Hauler (about 3,900 lbs dry weight) with a Harley Ultra Classic (about 900 lbs) plus cargo weight totals about 5,000 lbs. I installed BF Goodrich 275/55R20, Long Trail TA Tour tires. Max pressure is 44 lbs and I keep 40-42 lbs in them all the time. They feel solid and I don't get any mushy feel or sway out of them.

I have e rsted tires. I tow a 35 ft travel trailer and it is about 9000 lbs..

What air pressure do you have in them.

When I tow 80psi  all around. When I don't 65 in front and 80 in rear

I'm not sure now, you have them aired up. I had a set of cooper discovery and took them back after 3 days for the same reason. I just did not like them too much sidewall flex..

Sidewall flex  is bad on these tires . What tires do u have now

michelin ltx at2 summer tires,  BF Goodrich KO winter

New tire tread squirm maybe?

Might work itself out in another few thousand.

The Bridgestone Duravis M773 is the OEM tire, the only one of two with a TPC rating from GM.

I love my Michelin LTX. I did not like the Bridgestone OEM tires. I have no issues with mine and have 75000 on them.

Avalon

I have to agree with avalonandI, I've never felt comfortable with Bridgestone tires on any truck I've had. My '08 came with Good Year OEM and when I switched to 20" wheels I got rid of them too. Of course many of you guys are hauling some heavy loads and the tires will be more reactive to your load. The heaviest thing I tow is 5K and the new BF Goodrich tires seem to work well..

The Bridgestones themselves are "squirmy" and this is do to compound, tread design, etc.  I just really like my Michelins- they have been great tires. The extra you pay for them is more than made up by the milage I have gotten from them and the secure ride even when towing.

Attachments

• Chris Cat.png
    Chris Cat.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 191
I'm leaning toward the michelins ltx ms2 . Do they have sidewall flex when towing.

The michelins ltx are a good choice just make sure you get the Load Range E

Im leaning toward the michelin ltxms2. I have read mixed reviews on them but more good then bad. I appreciate the advise on this . The bridgestones just to much squim for my liken. I need peace of mind and hope the michelns give me that

No the regular LTX M/S 2. I LOVE them- they have great wear, great traction etc.

I may go the AT route- they are signifcantly cheaper. My Av 2500 is now a second vehicle and towing the boat- I have a Buick Regal as a DD. TWICE the gas mileage- it pays for itself. :D

I have one LTX that Discount Tire replaced for free last summer (screw in sidewall). Now they want me to buy 4 not 3. Claiming there would be too much difference in the tread depth. What the F#$K are differentials for??? I have over 70,000 miles on my other Michelins and they are worth the money.

Avalon

Thanks for getting back to me . I'm trying to decide which tire I want . I want a stiffer sidewall for towing I get to much flex and sway . Is the ms2 a solid tire for towing.

avalonandl said:
No the regular LTX M/S 2. I LOVE them- they have great wear, great traction etc.

I may go the AT route- they are signifcantly cheaper. My Av 2500 is now a second vehicle and towing the boat- I have a Buick Regal as a DD. TWICE the gas mileage- it pays for itself. :D

I have one LTX that Discount Tire replaced for free last summer (screw in sidewall). Now they want me to buy 4 not 3. Claiming there would be too much difference in the tread depth. What the F#$K are differentials for??? I have over 70,000 miles on my other Michelins and they are worth the money.

Avalon
If your spare has the same size rim use the good 1 to replace the spare.

edh19 said:
Thanks for getting back to me . I'm trying to decide which tire I want . I want a stiffer sidewall for towing I get to much flex and sway . Is the ms2 a solid tire for towing.

None better in my opinion. I am sold on Michelin tires, especially the LTX M/S range. They have a nice stiff sidewall. If you put them on you will never need another tire.

Now I'm finally at the juncture of having to make the same decision:

Repeat the "upgraded" stock Bridgestone Duravis M773ii OEM tire?

"Downgrade" to the "standard" stock Bridgestone R265 V-Steel Rib tire (that has a higher speed rating and better wet traction than the M773ii)

Or toss aside GM's only two factory validated OE tire choices, and go with the popular Michelin LTX M/S2?

I'm not just looking for tread life.  I can't seem to wear out a set tires of any kind with the way I drive.  I'm replacing the original tires solely due to age, as they still have plenty of tread on them.  I'm looking for wet traction in the rain, good cornering stability in the dry, sidewall longevity under the relentless summer sun's barrage of UV rays, for a vehicle that is never garaged, and durability overall.  I don't want squirrely tires that reduce confidence where the rubber meets the road.

I wonder which tires the OP ended up getting?

Just food for thought, I was at a juncture a year ago with my 1ton, and I put cooper discoverer M+S, and after putting 7K on them they still look brand new. I know Byron said he had bad time with a set, but I've read nothing but great reviews on the heavy trucks, 3/4 all the way to the medium duty. They are great in snow, and hold the road great at 65-70 in heavy rain. But any tire will be great as long as you maintain them, I rotate and balance mine at 5k.

Back