• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

transfer case is switching to 4wd or neutral

03 z71

Sometimes when I start my truck it is 4 wheel low or neutral. I am thinking it is just the switch but wanted to ask and see if anyone else has had this problem.

You could try the switch, but when mine did that it ended up being the encoder motor.

Went to the dealer to get a price on my encoder motor and found it odd when I was told that I needed parts compatible with an EXT.  As far as I know awd systems don't have a selectable tc so how could it be the right part?

No they are not the same part, what part number did they give you.

I came across a blown fuse that goes to the 4wd system and since changing it the TC has stayed in 2wd. Hopefully a cheap fix for a big pain in the @ss

Sweet I love cheap fixes.

My 92 Yukon started doing this just after warranty. I found replaced the 25 amp fuse and as soon as I'd 4WD, it would blow again.

The dealer didn't let on until after I surrendered the vehicle for repair that it was a relatively cheap and easy fix. Front Axle Actuator. Back then it was about $125 GM installed.

As it was explained to me, the actuator, when activated moved a pin similar to an irrigation solenoid pin to move and engage the front axle.

I don't have any history with the Avalanches I've owned. I hope your fuse holds up.

Go here....

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,14789.775.html

you can start from beginning of thread also if you have the time.

But I highly suggest at least reading from page 31 to 36.

Thanks I had not gotten to find these pages in the thread so this helps me and I'm sure some others in finding how to fix this.

Finally got my tc sensor replaced today.took me longer than it should have because I got it apart and back together then walked back in the house and find one of the shims from inside the motor on the table and had to do it all over again. I'm sure  some have seen this but here is a pic of the inside of the sensor where the marks are the brushes wore thru the contact surface.

Attachments

• IMG_20131005_183426.JPG
    IMG_20131005_183426.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 27
Back