• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

When is a truck not a truck?

Thomcat

SM 2013
Ans. According to their respective GM websites.... when it's the more costly Caddy.

The full sized Caddy ESV and corporate familial twin Chevy Suburban are listed and described as 8 passenger SUVs

The Caddy EXT is listed and described as a 5 passenger SUV whereas its corporate familial twin the Chevy Avalanche is listed and described as a truck.

Both EXT and AV are registered as pickup trucks in Michigan but that differs in other states.

Suburban and ESV are station wagons, the cargo area is open to the cabin.

It makes sense today, if it has an enclosed cab with a separate cargo box it's a pickup.

Historically not so much, an enclosed cab was an early option offered on some cars & trucks. 

My EXT is often listed as a crew cab pick-up.

I'm fine with that.

(y)

EXT4ME said:
My EXT is often listed as a crew cab pick-up.

I'm fine with that.  (y)

It is a crew cab pick-up truck. The ESV is a crew cab panel truck with windows  :D 

The Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon, Escalade are all trucks.

I have said for years that my belief in advertising problems for GM with the AV and EXT is that they are in a class by their own. They both are part SUV and part truck so most comparison articles in magazines and TV shows want to decide on the best SUV or the best pickup truck. The writers and advertisers can't figure out where the AV or EXT belong so it doesn't make many comparisons to keep the name and features in the general public's mind.
I remember with my first Suburban back in the 1980s the Virginia DMV didn't have a classification as SUV so it was registered as a station wagon......by my second Suburban they allowed the classification as SUV.

My 1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 4-door 4WD has often been called an SUV.

What I have been known to call it from time to time is so profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing it here.

:eek:

:laugh:

j/k

SUV is an almost meaningless designation. Wagons and trucks predate automobiles.

How many EXT owners actually use their vehicle as a truck ?

When is a truck not a truck? The term truck is both a noun and a verb, if it's never used to truck cargo or goods from one point to another is it still a truck ? Is an unsharpened pencil a writing implement?  :p 

Flint4x4 said:
How many EXT owners actually use their vehicle as a truck ?  

I would not hesitate to do so.

I believe at least some of the previous owners of my truck used it as one, as well.

I traced my trucks roots back to an Indian reservation in Oklahoma and based upon some of the stuff I washed out of the bed area and by the looks of all of the dirt that was packed underneath, it was used to haul hay and no telling what else.

It also has a trailer brake controller and E-series tires installed and the trailer hitch and rear bumper plastics show some heavy use wear and tear.

I spent quite a bit of time addressing the scratches and such on the tailgate lip and saddle bags.

So yes, I would say at lease some EXT owners are not afraid to get their truck dirty.

For me, my truck is a truck.

A nice truck, but still a truck just the same.

And just because I am not afraid to fill the bed with a load of lumber, concrete or some sacks of manure does not mean I would not give it a good washing when the work is done.

Many more Avalanche owners drive pavement princesses than do EXT owners, there are more AVs.

An EXT in original condition could be a collector item in ten, twenty years

Back