• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

The Tennessee Road Trip

Dueck

PM 2014
PM 2013
:drive: We're going to be in Tennessee for a couple of weeks in September, from the 8th till the 23rd. The first week in Sevierville and then second in Nashville. Probably passing through Chattanooga on the way to Nashville. We have to get a few games of golf in but open to a GTG anytime. We plan on meeting up with Ski Edition for a game of golf in while in Nashville. But everything else is open for discussion for now.

We do not have plans to visit Tennessee then but it may happen. Tagging this thread.........

Just got back yesterday from a week in Pigeon Forge.
Wife found a good deal on a nice condo for the week, closer to Sevierville than Gatlinburg.

I couldn't get over the TRAFFIC!
I might just as well have gone to the beach for the week. The only thing missing was sand.

My wife prefers the beach, I prefer Mountains, and we alternate our vacations.
One year she gets sand and surf, the next I get Fresh Air and tranquility.
I gave her credit for trying, but to me mountains means Cabin, not Condo.

jmuller62 said:
Just got back yesterday from a week in Pigeon Forge.
Wife found a good deal on a nice condo for the week, closer to Sevierville than Gatlinburg.

I couldn't get over the TRAFFIC!
I might just as well have gone to the beach for the week. The only thing missing was sand.

My wife prefers the beach, I prefer Mountains, and we alternate our vacations.
One year she gets sand and surf, the next I get Fresh Air and tranquility.
I gave her credit for trying, but to me mountains means Cabin, not Condo.

We save the sand for the winter trips.

As for the traffic, I'm hoping by the time Sept rolls around things will calm down a bit. We try to plan our road trips south of the border till after school starts. We went to Branson, Mo. a couple of years ago and found that once school started, it was fairly quiet. Our plans are pretty simple, do some sight seeing, get some golf in and meet new people. That always keeps us busy for a couple weeks.

I'm up for a round of Golf near Nashville, keep us posted.

You may find fresher air than the city in Pigeon Forge, but it is pretty FAR from tranquil

james21 said:
You may find fresher air than the city in Pigeon Forge, but it is pretty FAR from tranquil

Agreed. I prefer something in the Blowing Rock/Banner Elk/Johnson City area to Pigeon Forge.
I would have preferred Gatlinburg (away from the main drag). The place she booked through kept saying the condo was in Gatlinburg but it was actually in the Center of Pigeon Forge.

jmuller62 said:
Agreed. I prefer something in the Blowing Rock/Banner Elk/Johnson City area to Pigeon Forge.
I would have preferred Gatlinburg (away from the main drag). The place she booked through kept saying the condo was in Gatlinburg but it was actually in the Center of Pigeon Forge.

If I would have known I'd have given you the "owner's special" for our condo.  It is technically in Gatlinburg, but it is about 1600' above downtown.  We can see the lights of Pigeon Forge from our deck.  We can be in either downtown Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in 15 minutes.

Search for Gatlinburg Summit...

It sounds like you guys have been there before. We're staying in Sevierville at the Wyndham Vacation Resorts Smokies Mountains Lodge for 8 days. I'm assuming it will be pretty busy with the water parks. We have a golf course view and will probably play there a couple times. We would like to do some sight seeing, what would you say would be a decent drive? Not sure we'll do the Dollywood thing, may try some ziplining. Really, other than golf, we have no plans. Don't do's, if you have any, is more important than the do's. Any suggestions?

I wanted to do some zip lining when we were down there last time, but at 270 pounds dripping wet I'm over the weight limits.

For interesting drives, do a search for Tail of the Dragon, a well known twisty bit of road near the western tip of the Smoky Mountains National Park.  From one of the main Tail of the Dragon sites you'll find links to other interesting drives popular with the touring motorcycle crowd for some interesting ideas.

Edit - also check out the Cades Cove loop in the western area of the park.  Can often spot several bears.  There's also a road that heads southwest from the loop that eventually goes to a gravel road with a warning for 4 wheel drive only or something like that.  We turned around at that point since we were in our Kia Rio compact.  But, between the loop and the sign with that warning, we spotted 2 bears within 30' of the road, and another about 30 yards off the road, all much closer than what we spotted from the Cades Cove loop.

Back