• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Boat Access Door mod questions

Bronik

Hello and thanks in advance for your replies,

I've read some great threads from people cutting out the box liner to add an access hatch to access the saddle bag storage while the snuggy is on the truck. This has left me with a couple questions which I can't go look at for myself because my saddle bags are now perma closed lol...

1) I noticed that although there was no mention of it in the installation thread, some of the replies to others mentioned that this will expose some metal leaving it prone to rusting. The advice given was to put some paint on the exposed surface edges to avoid the rust. I have no experience with painting to seal and avoid rust, is there a product you'd recommend for this purpose? I was just going to buy some tremclad black and roll a coat on the exposed edges.

2) The thread I found that looked the best used a 13x17 hatch door and when asked if he still had the functionality of a cooler he said no. I'm assuming that's because the hatch is too big? how low do I have to go with the hatch door, if I was to say buy a much smaller access panel in and high is anything in my way (like say the original locking mechanism? I'd still like to be able to drop some drinks and ice in there when i go camping if possible but I'm thinking there is probably a reason the others didn't go this route. Physically the largest items I store in the saddle bags are my left over oil or the winter snow brush so I don't think I'd need that big of an opening.

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed, thank you for reading this post

Welcome.  Any rustoleum spray paint will be fine to stop the rust.  But no, you can't really use it as a cooler any more.  The boat access door pretty much cuts out the entire side of the saddle bag so there is no way to put ice and beer, err.. beverages in it.  Think of it like putting a igloo cooler on it's side.  You could try a smaller door but that will just make it harder to get stuff in and out.  BTW, the saddlebag isn't that great of a cooler anyways.  You'ld be much better off just buying a small igloo (or better yet, a Yeti!!) for those few times that you need to have cold drinks.  It will last allot longer and is portable.

Back