• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

question for those with oil consumption issues

specialk440

I saw that part of the fix for the oil consumption issue was to install this deflector thing in the oil pan to deflect the spray of oil away from the bottom of the pistons, or whatever it does. Anyone install this on their own as a precaution, prior to signs of oil consumption? My Avy has 45,000 miles on it, doesn't seem to be consuming oil, but I was thinking of installing this before the problems start. The part is less than 10 bucks. Thoughts?

My issue after researching for a long time was the valve cover needing replaced. GM redesigned the valve cover to have a different PCV baffle location. This immediately stopped the oil consumption that I had.

Genuine GM 12570427 Valve Rocker Arm Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F66SLG8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qNXhwbJHVV68G

I am not sure how a valve cover would fix that issue. My 07 avy uses oil just like others are known to do so. While this seems like a good fit I'd have to learn more about how many miles after installing this part did you see results? And any other real time driving experiences to prove that this part actually works as others may have said. That being said glad that Amazon has these parts available that are genuine GM parts.

LanachenMo said:
I am not sure how a valve cover would fix that issue. My 07 avy uses oil just like others are known to do so. While this seems like a good fit I'd have to learn more about how many miles after installing this part did you see results? And any other real time driving experiences to prove that this part actually works as others may have said. That being said glad that Amazon has these parts available that are genuine GM parts.
This was a GM fix via TSB.
Many threads on here about this

special440 this issue is mostly for the 2007 models. Known problem that should have had a recall but GM likes to save money and did not do so back then.

To everyone else that has replaced the valve cover, I am assuming this was a straight forward job.  :wave:

As I'd like to do this in the near future.

Had the valve cover TSB done 3 years ago. It did not solve the issue for me. After that didn't solve it I decided to disable AFM. That has so far been the best option for me since I only burn 1qt every 3000~ miles as opposed to 2000. However, it is possible that the plugs aren't being fowled the same way with the new cover, so there's that...

Copy/Paste (mostly) from a similar question:

I had minor oil consumption (1qt @ 5k miles) and decided to disable the AFM with the Range OBD option.

The issue with consumption due to AFM issues is that you need to prevent it before it becomes a problem.  The 4 deactivated cylinders continue to get worse and worse due to many issues that I won't completely outline here, but it has to do with non-combustion in the chambers allowing oil to seep up the cylinder.  Once ruins the rings, you are done...

As I understood from my reading, you need to correct this problem before it happens.  Again, fixing really isn't an issue.  The modified baffle helps if you don't already have ruined ring, but can't fix ruined rings obviously.

Anyway, Range OBD was installed and no oil consumption.  I am at 151k miles and hardly an issue overall.

I just bought a 2011 with 42k with 30k extended warranty.  Just had the value cover replaced as a precaution, dealer wouldn't cover since I am not burning oil yet, $200.  I also did the upper engine and Fuel Injector cleaning recommended in the tech bulletins at my expense, $200. I leave it in M5 to keep it out of 4-8 mode.  Time will tell.

LanachenMo said:

I'm about 2500 miles after the valve replacement and I'm still at 83% oil life and haven't had a low oil message yet.

Who knows if it was actually the issue but since the replacement I haven't had to add oil and my oil pressure gauge is actually moving a little which I never saw before....probably unrelated.

I'll take it as a win even if it's not one. 

Back