• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Any meets in VA?

I've been trying the cruise coordinators in our area to organize a cruise or some sort of meet for years.  What part of VA are you from?  Perhaps it's time we take matters into our own hands and do something not sanctioned by the coordinators.

144 miles from Bent Mountain.  Not undoable, but some planning would be needed.  Any thoughts?  I had at one point mentioned a Blue Ridge Parkway run/meet where we stopped at various towns along the way and meet up with others.  Allow a certain amount of time at each stop then move on to the next town/stop.

ms38w,
You do not have to be a Cruise Coordinator to plan a GTG.
Go for it!  (y)

Just my .02 but I would try a one location GTG before attempting a multiple location moving GTG unless it was a multiple day thing. I tried several years ago and found that only a few diehards would show up and you had to set a date and location well in advance so people could plan around work or family plans. You also need to talk it up and send private messages to state members and post in neighboring states boards to get the word out since many members don't come on the site on a daily basis. Even then many members would not travel far for a short GTG so something in the center of Virginia may make it easier for members to travel from all parts of Virginia.
Good luck with your efforts.

Only thing I can say is come up with an idea and I will help plan it. I have tried to have GTG's several times over the last few yrs with limited or NO participation. Folks seem to be too busy during the summer time to come. Car shows seem to draw very little interest to the general AV population.

We got it rough here in VA!

At least up here near DC most people avoid driving as much as possible, so that might be a problem, and then everyone else is too far away!

I'm down for anything as long as it's reasonable and we've got enough notice. I'm sure there's something interesting somewhere - park, landmark, tourist attraction - that we could meet up at just to see who we can get!

A fall GTG or even a cruise would be a great idea.  This gives a decent amount of notice, like was mentioned and for those of us who's A/C doesn't work  :E:  the cooler weather is a bonus (not that we've had any warm weather this summer  :E:  ).  Anyone know of a central location that could/would allow us to hang out in their parking lot for awhile?  I see other car clubs make weekend runs along the Parkway all the time, that's why I thought a Parkway cruise might be fun.  There are interesting stops and towns along the way, so even if we picked just one stop to meet at and then if a few wanted to go cruising along the Parkway, the cops wouldn't bother us.  Some places don't like a crowd of people hanging around  ( :cool:  "licence and registration please")

If we can get enough people to do a cruise that be a good idea. Or just find something central intresting eat lunch or have a cookout or something.

I have lots of room for a meet and a huge deck for a cookout, but not exactly centrally located...about 20 miles south of Roanoke, just off the Parkway.  I would be more than willing if anyone is interested, otherwise Richmond is more centrally located.  I'm about 5 hours from D.C., 2 1/2 hours from Bristol, 2 hours from Danville, 3 hrs 20 min from Richmond, and 4hrs 15 min from Newport News...just to give all a reference if you're not familiar with Bent Mountain.

OK here is an idea for discussion.

How about meeting for lunch at either Big Meadows Lodge or Skyline Resort which are along Skyline Drive lets say the first Saturday in October? The leaves should be changing by that point in time. Big Meadows is at approximately mile marker 51 and Skyland is location close to mile marker 41 on Skyline Drive.

If there is enough interest, we could also do a picnic at one of the assorted picnic areas along the drive. We did a picnic about 5 yrs ago at the picnic area close to Pinacles (MM 36.7). All of the Shelters are on a first come first serve basis so someone would have to get there early to ensure that we get a shelter in case of rain. Big Meadows also has a visitor center that we could browse at and there are also many hiking trails. After lunch or the picnic, we could cruise Skyline Drive driving either north or south from where we meet, or just do your own thing afterwards. For those of you that don't know there is a yearly pass entrance fee of $15/vehicle for access to the park.

I'd be down for that, I love the skyline area and the trip isn't so bad for me! I could even Caravan with people from the DC/Ft Belvoir area if they don't know the way, I'm pretty familiar with that area as I work for Valley Health hospitals out that way. Plus you could make a trip to Luray caverns after lunch if you've not been there, shouldn't be too far off Skyline drive (not sure on the mile markers and how far away it is though)

it's too bad George Washington Nat'l Park closed down all its ORV trails, my poor truck hasn't seen any mud all summer...

Not to mention it's dead as a doornail, turn the key and it doesn't do anything, even after I tried to jump it and charge the battery. Has been sitting for about a month, wonder what happened..

Torenhire said:
I'd be down for that, I love the skyline area and the trip isn't so bad for me! I could even Caravan with people from the DC/Ft Belvoir area if they don't know the way, I'm pretty familiar with that area as I work for Valley Health hospitals out that way. Plus you could make a trip to Luray caverns after lunch if you've not been there, shouldn't be too far off Skyline drive (not sure on the mile markers and how far away it is though)

it's too bad George Washington Nat'l Park closed down all its ORV trails, my poor truck hasn't seen any mud all summer...

Not to mention it's dead as a doornail, turn the key and it doesn't do anything, even after I tried to jump it and charge the battery. Has been sitting for about a month, wonder what happened..

Yes a trip to either Luray or Skyline Caverns could be included. I will pass Luray Caverns on my way to Skyline drive. I haven't been there is quite few years. (y)

Sounds like we have a plan, then  (y)  I didn't know the $15 fee for Skyline Drive was for a yearly pass, though...I was charged at least that much the one time I was there, and figured it wasn't worth the money to go too often.  I did see a LOT of bear that evening, though.

02 Z71 said:
Yes a trip to either Luray or Skyline Caverns could be included. I will pass Luray Caverns on my way to Skyline drive. I haven't been there is quite few years. (y)

Went there on the 4th with my girlfriend, worth the trip. I haven't been since I was a little guy, still a cool place even now!

Now that we have a semi-plan, are we all good with the first Saturday of October? That'd be October the 5th. That date works for me and I assume it works for 02 Z71 as he suggested it..

Finally a VA meetup!

I will post another thread in a couple of days with the details.  (y)

Torenhire said:

Random status update - fixed the truck, bad connection at the battery

Brake lines blew out on 395

VknKOJm.jpg

bye bye $2k

Just started a thread for an Oct 5th Get together HERE  :wave: (y)

Back