• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2500 Hitch Issues

DVRuger

I've read the forums, and know there's a problem with the 2500 and factory hitches.
I don't know if this is the factory hitch,.. but It's obviously having issues. 
I thought I'd post some pictures. 

First is the hookup.  Note how the insert is actually pointing up, and I'm having to tip the ball back quite a ways to level it.  It's made proper distribution really difficult. 
Second is under the truck so someone maybe able to tell me if this is factory.  It was supposed to come with factory hitch according to the build options.
Third is with it hooked up,.. weight on.  Raised the front about 1/4 inch, settled the back about 1.5 inches. 

Hitch1.JPG

Hitch2.jpeg

Hitch3.jpeg

That looks like a bent stock hitch, it should come out level.

It looks like it's bent up and not the dreaded down.  :B:

ronthehandymanga said:
It looks like it's bent up and not the dreaded down.  :B:
To be more specific on this.

It looks like the hitch receiver bent up (relatively cheep fix) not the dreaded frame bent down (much more expensive fix).

I wonder if the previous owner was rear ended cause I have never seen one bent up like that. I'm with AV 2500 throw that thing away and get a good hitch.

MS03 2500 said:
I wonder if the previous owner was rear ended cause I have never seen one bent up like that. I'm with AV 2500 throw that thing away and get a good hitch.
A weight distributing hitch will do that to the GM receiver, way to common with the stock GM receiver.

My opinion is if you have the OEM GM round tube hitch and the trailer is heavy enough to require a WD hitch you need to replace the receiver, even on the half tons where that means any trailer over 5000lb.

Yep he just bought it last week so I think the previous owner did that.

Wazbro said:
To be more specific on this.

It looks like the hitch receiver bent up (relatively cheep fix) not the dreaded frame bent down (much more expensive fix).

Thanks,.. I'll look into it.
I did pull it this weekend.  It towed ok, but I couldn't stop worrying about that crazy receiver.  It's gonna go.  It really made hooking up difficult as well because of the angle. 
I'll replace the receiver, then have to re level everything again.

What you have is definitely NOT factory equipped. Your spring bars are lighter weight; factory's are heavy, slide in sideways, then tilt. They are not curved. The  OEM "curved around spare tire" hitch receiver is satisfactory if you never overload it, i.e. put more than about 700 lbs dry wgt w/o spring bars on the stock hitch. This means that you support the dry wgt of the hitch with blocks until after you complete the spring bars and load leveling. Properly adjusted, your truck will remain perfectly level, just a hair lower.

Texas86 said:
What you have is definitely NOT factory equipped. Your spring bars are lighter weight; factory's are heavy, slide in sideways, then tilt. They are not curved. The  OEM "curved around spare tire" hitch receiver is satisfactory if you never overload it, i.e. put more than about 700 lbs dry wgt w/o spring bars on the stock hitch.

If by factory you mean GM, I don't believe GM has ever offered weight distribution spring bars, heavy or light.

As for the receiver hitch, to me it most definitely looks like a factory GM receiver.  However, after enlarging the photo to 400%, it also looks like it has been painted over with undercoating.  It appears possible that the hitch could have sustained some distortion or damage in the hitch box area that was repaired, and then painted over with thick paint to cover it up.

The tilting up of the receiver box could be related to the repair, but it is just as likely to merely be a function of the spring bar tension.  Is the receiver box angled up like that when unhitched, without any trailer or stinger present?

I was meaning the receiver bar, not the hitch in general.  I'm assuming the receiver it factory, and yes without the spring bars it still tilts up. 

I changed the factory crap hitch on my 2500 before I towed anything. I am around 1200 lbs tongue weight so I wasn't taking any chances  :D

As stated above if it was set up correctly your truck should not change to the measurements you gave.

I bought a new travel trailer last fall and had the dealer do the setup and adjustment of my hitch and I am very happy that they know what they are doing.

Back