• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Painted to match cladding

captainmiller33

New guy here.. This is my 2002 Avalanche. I just finished the cladding and got it back on. I haven't seen many with the cladding painted. I'm going to order tow mirrors tomorrow and paint the upper rear plastic satin black tomorrow or Tuesday. Truck does have 285/70/17s and Rough Country Leveling Kit

Very nice, I did my upper cladding a couple years ago. (y)

How did you paint the cladding?

vanthony said:
How did you paint the cladding?

Sanded everything smooth, primed all the parts with 2k primer, and painted with a single stage so it will be a little tougher. Turned out GREAT  (y)

captainmiller33 said:
Sanded everything smooth, primed all the parts with 2k primer, and painted with a single stage so it will be a little tougher. Turned out GREAT  (y)

I know nothing about sanding and painting. How or what did you use to sand your cladding?

20130908_185407.jpg

20130908_185254.jpg

20130908_185235.jpg

20130908_185046.jpg

20130908_185224.jpg

A few updated pictures I took today after I gave her a bath. Finally got the mirrors on and in Thursday.

That looks beautiful. I know nothing about sanding and painting. How or what did you use to sand your cladding?

Thanks guys..

I've already had a bunch of people ask what kinda truck it is, then they ask what edition is it. lol

Vanthony, I own a restoration shop so I treated it just like any other body part. DA sander, paint gun, 2k primer, 80, 180, 320, and 400 sand paper. A lot more work in it than I thought would be in it lol

enoniam said:
Did you leave the texture on the upper plastic pieces?

Yes sir.
Also on the lower part of the front bumper, and the pads on the rear bumper
It broke up all that black just enough  (y) (y)

Since this is along the lines of your business, and assuming you would offer this "service" to others, what do you think it would cost?  ???

enoniam said:
Since this is along the lines of your business, and assuming you would offer this "service" to others, what do you think it would cost?   ???

I have right at 43 hours just the other. Depending on the color and cost of it I would say ball park $2000.  I did mine in single stage just so it would be a little tougher.

captainmiller33 said:
I have right at 43 hours just the other. Depending on the color and cost of it I would say ball park $2000.  I did mine in single stage just so it would be a little tougher.

Thanks for the info!  Yours really looks nice.  :love:

(y)

And thanks for being honest with the guy that asked "how much if I brought it to your shop to have done!" And you said "right at about 2 grand to have it done at our shop"..... Not knockin' that particular guy when I say this at all, but some people just have NO IDEA what goes into doing that kind of operation!!!

"I just buy a spray can of Krylon and it comes out all show quality n' stuff right!?!?"

"No dude, if you do that first(krylon)then bring it to me when it starts to peel, its THREE GRAND, not two grand like it would've been if you'd have just let me do it to begin with!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sometimes "saving a dime" costs ya in the end.....

Good job man, it looks GREAT!!!!!!!  (y)

Hanz Groober said:
(y)

And thanks for being honest with the guy that asked "how much if I brought it to your shop to have done!" And you said "right at about 2 grand to have it done at our shop"..... Not knockin' that particular guy when I say this at all, but some people just have NO IDEA what goes into doing that kind of operation!!!

"I just buy a spray can of Krylon and it comes out all show quality n' stuff right!?!?"

"No dude, if you do that first(krylon)then bring it to me when it starts to peel, its THREE GRAND, not two grand like it would've been if you'd have just let me do it to begin with!!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Sometimes "saving a dime" costs ya in the end.....

Good job man, it looks GREAT!!!!!!!   (y)
Have seen krylon on AVs for years, with NO peeling..  But regardless where its done professional shop included, if its NOT prepped properly it doesnt matter..
Have seen it time and time again with GMs "fix" for this years ago with armillo, and Gatorback. 
Its all in the prep pure and simple.. 

I'm not trying to start a war or get in a pissing contest here, I'm really not...... Just passionate about paint..... but you spill some good gas or brake cleaner or have to remove some overspray on that badass Krylon, then talk to me about how "good" Krylon is..... To each his own budget i suppose, but i look at Krylon on claddings as RUINING them, because some day, some poor sucker will have to strip what's left of it off when he refinishes it..... Probably not the guy that put it on tho, so what the hell right?

Not talking smack, I'm really not, but chemistry is chemistry...... Guys say "well krylon is easy touch up!"..... trying to repair a 1 part product that's had a chemical absorb into it? Foggggggget abowwwwt it! It'll wrinkle and lift and do all kinds of crazy stuff until its stripped completely OFF...... I'll take a 2 part catalyzed product that costs more money, and do it RIGHT the first and only time......

But if you Krylon guys wanna test my theory, go right ahead. :)

Back