• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Ebay CAI??

Madsammer

Was looking for a Spectre and found this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-RED-00-06-Yukon-V8-4-8L-5-3L-6-0L-Heat-Shield-Cold-Air-Intake-Filter-/290968129352?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CModel%3AAvalanche+1500&hash=item43bf0d4f48&vxp=mtr

Looks almost like the Spectre, but a whole lot cheaper?
Amyone see these, how are they.  I mite get one.

Thanks
R

Here's my 2 cents of opinion.

What's to figure out? You replace the OEM Helmholtz resonator setup designed to quiet the induction system with a hollow tube same diameter and bend, connectors and clamps......if the filter has the same surface area and pore size then the engine won't know the difference.........mass produced minus packaging, advertising and distribution costs there's probably only $30 worth of parts there anyway. If it looks like a duck and if it is just as noisy (which is really all this type setup give you....more noise so it quacks like a duck) it's a duck.

And where does all this magical supply of cold air come from that a CAI is sucking in......under the hood where the engine is running at 215 F......or the same stock airbox pulling ambient air from the same location as the stock intake?.......the days of 400F pre heated intake air from a "stove" over the exhaust manifold disappeared with computers and O2 sensors. Even if you were somehow able to inject denser cold air the MAF/MAP air mass sensor along with the O2 sensors will reajust the fuel mixture accordingly and you'll gain nothing other than noise.

Not like pre emission days where you could pull the inner high beams and replace with air ducts to the intake snorkel, open the carb jetting and you had a functional poor man's ram air system.

Stretch MFD said:
So its safe to assume that you dont run a cai on your AVs?
I don't use one of those magnet attachments on the fuel line promoted to save gasoline either.

If you want less restrictive airflow, retrofit the stock air filter with the one for the Z71 which also fits in the stock airbox.....same pore size with twice as many pleats and twice the surface area........won't give any additional HP but sounds better and less frequent changes.

here ya go  -  http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Air-Filter-2002-2012-Chevy-Avalanche-w-5-3L-engine-/140696732146?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c22dc1f2&vxp=mtr

RB`s 2010 AV said:
here ya go  -  http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Air-Filter-2002-2012-Chevy-Avalanche-w-5-3L-engine-/140696732146?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c22dc1f2&vxp=mtr

A filter with more pleats and greater surface flow gives more horsepower?  Chevy doesn't think so.....both Avys using the stock filter and Z71 versions which use a filter with more pleats and greater surface area are rated at the same horsepower.........with air mass sensors, computerized fuel mixture control and downstream oxygen sensors you would gain noise, but wouldn't gain any horsepower if you ran without any air filter at all over a clean air filter.

And a filter you have to wash and re-oil?...and just how consistant/reliable is that operation with age?...thought those days went out with the old 50's oil bath air cleaners. All it takes is fifteen bucks or so and you pull a new paper one out of the box , no washing, no oiling, just pop out the old and pop in the new..that meets mfr. specs

I got one from Ebay fitted ok just had to add a couple of holes for the heat shield to fit secure but very happy so far no codes or check engine light and it sounds awesome when you put your foot down  (y)

I'm running the stock air box that I modified and added a intake tube that picks up air from the opening around the tow hook(link below). By monitoring intake temps before they would be 30 -50 deg or higher than outside temps, after they pretty much mirror outside temps unless you are sitting still for a long time. I used insulation that you would use for sound/heat dampening for inside your cab or doors to wrap the bottom half of the air box to further insulate it from engine compartment heat.

For a filter I'm running a K & N, yes Thomcat a K & N  and not because for horsepower but because it filters better than a paper filter and I clean it about every 25,000 miles or so and if it frees up a couple of ponies all the better..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vnt-35060/overview/

Here's my final .02 on the matter. The material comprising the filter has nothing to do with effectiveness of filtration. Pore size alone equals effectiveness and pore size vs. surface area determines flow rate. And the mass not the temperature of the incoming air is what determines how much fuel is metered by the ECM and hp extracted from the power plant. And IMHO dry paper/woven polymer filter media IS better and far superior to a reusable liquid coated adsorbance system for critical particulate filtration requirements.

HEPA (High Efficiency Purifies Air) filters used primarily to achieve sterile air flow in clean room environments are disposable dry paper or woven polymer filters, not an oil coated substrate and for good reason, the latter would shed microscopic oil particles.....these filters which cost into the thousands of dollars although subject to periodic recertification to verify effectiveness are not reusable and depend on barrier trapping of particles not adsorbance to a coated surface. And although a vehicle's induction system does not require such a high level of purified air, it does require something that is capable of filtering out more than macro particles of crap because over time even dust will cause wear and damage to the system.

My '53 Chevy 210 used an oil bath with re-oilable metal filter mesh atop the carb which could filter out particles barely smaller than sand.....didn't see paper filters until the late 50s and I don't see any reason to go back....every 15K for about $15 throw out the old, pop in a new filter and you're back to factory specs. No washing or re-oiling of a critical part of the induction system. I don't believe that one can wash and oil a filter and bring it back to the same porosity and particle trapping capabilities, no more than washing a used condom will maintain the same barrier integrity.  And I wonder what happens when you kick the engine to a high rpm and suck and drag along a fine oil mist and that crap hits the fine heated wire in the MAF sensor located a few inches downstream. Even if you throw out the air filter altogether you won't free up anything but noise in the Avy's computerized closed loop feedback system.......the MAF will determine the number of air molecules going in and the oxygen sensors monitor what goes out the exhaust and the ECM will adjust engine parameters so only the minimum number of fuel molecules are metered to achieve complete combustion.....whether feeding in Arctic or Tropical temperature air won't make a difference any more than you would get a progressive increase in hp as you drive North from Florida to Canada.

Now if you want to talk increase in hp using a CAI system, get a pre-emission carbureted system and drill out or get oversized jets, then more air will give you more fuel without an ECM to adjust spark retard/advance, variable valve timing, injector dwell time, or cat convertors to restrict the system and you will get increased hp to go along with the increased noise and likely a lot of unburned gas out the tailpipe.

I'll put in one of those systems when they start using them as OEM equipment in cars, tanks and helicopters.....until then I'll put my bucks to better use buying the OEM stainless steel door sill protectors....at least I can see the difference they make.

Your comments just show how ignorant and closed minded you are on today's technology. If you did a little reseach and got your self into this century you would discover the myth of oil being dislodged and deposited on the MAS, when if fact through testing it was proven to not happen. Furthermore testing was done where an oil mist was put into the air stream to try to see what it would do to the MAS, guess what nothing happen, it performed as designed even with oil on it.

If you want to learn more please go to the links below, if not that's up to you. We've come a long way since 1953, if you want to hold on to it, again that's up to you. Best wishes.

http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm

http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm

Got it backwards......Using an ECM to monitor engine parameters and control all engine functions is 21st Century technology.....oiling the reusable substrate of a automobile air filter media to trap particulates is 1953 technology!

Times change, people don't......and unlike the self proclaimed "open minded"....... the gray haired crowd educated at the "school of hard knocks" knows well that: "there's a sucker born every minute and two to take him" is as true today as it was when our ancestors pounded animals with a club. Largely, knowledge comes only with age and experience not by believing everything that is written or said. There are written articles and studies indicating that magnets on gas lines give better mileage and that you can power an ICE with water instead of a combustible liquid or gas.

After over 30 years experience doing first article and final inspections of multimillion dollar contracts , reviewing clinical studies for non existent test subjects, taking proven false depositions, providing expert witness testimony in court to the contrary, and independent researching of written "facts", etc. I believe nothing of what is said until verified, and nothing of what is documented unless tested by an Internationally recognized third party who had been certified by a recognized authority. Would you trust your life to an electrical cord or device certified by UL, CSA, etc.and bearing their hologram sticker or one certified by its manufacturer in an article that they wrote or referenced that it won't flame your curtains. Every hear of recalls.......wouldn't happen unless the product was defective as advertized, i.e. did not perform as promoted, tested and released for sale? And the majority of recalls are restricted to dangerous or life threatening products, not for economic deceptions.  Thus the expression, "Let the buyer beware"

And, I guess historically I am relatively close minded.........The CEO of a large firm once accused me of calling him a liar ....... "No, I'm simply saying I don't believe you, for now...."After I conduct my investigation and document the results, I'll let you and the DA know for sure!".

I awakened to that decades ago when I investigated rusty, unusable surgical instruments marked and supposedly tested and verified as stainless steel coming out of sterilizers in combat hospitals in Viet Nam. They were supposedly reusable and had manufacturer's test results to "prove" it.

You want to purchase or use some brand CAI.....go ahead, get it....who cares anyway?.....say it works for you?..... great, heard that before!...but it would take much more than what I've seen or read to convince my gray headed, closed mind that it really works.  Fin.

If independent laboratory tests don't sway you then I guess you know better than the experts..

The cotton oiled filter was originally created for off road motor sports because paper filters did poor job at filtering dirt and plugging up. They do a better job and filtered out smaller particles than paper and last allot longer. If you can't grasp the difference between a 1953 oil bath air filtration set up and a oil soaked cotton filter then keep throwing your money the way you always have in the trash..

Well went for a long run yesterday everything was OK ran great and saw a improvement in gas mileage as well went from 14.8 L/100km to 12 L/100km so i am very happy so Thomcat what do you think about apples Mr know it all

Glad to hear it's working good and that you didn't drink the Kool-Aid.. That guy must be a Hoot around Christmas "there is no Santa Claus" blah blah blah blah...

Glad you are happy with it mark24v.

Signed,

Repeat K&N filter buyer

I read last night in the April issue of Super Chevy magazine that the new Camaro Z/28 that the author of the article was allowed to ride in while a Chevy engineer drove around a GM test track had a K&N air filter installed.

I have a ebay CAI. Great for the space gained over the bulky stock tube. like the noise too :D But did nothing for my MPG's but wasnt really expecting any change

Back