• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

OEM site that ships to Canada needed

DarkSky

My truck: '07 LTZ

I need a pair of front struts (that are AutoRide-compatible struts).  I live in southern Ontario (Canada).

I asked gmpartsdirect.com if they shipped to Canada and got this:

We ship internationally. All international orders are non-returnable or exchangeable. All international orders payments must be made with a certified check (cashier check or money order) - no personal checks, international credit cards, international Paypal or wire transfers. A $35 export fee plus a 35% export fee will be added to your order total. You agree that you are fully responsible for any taxes, fees, and duties associated with the import of the goods on this order.

So basically, they DO ship outside the States, but with so much extra expense and risk to the customer, that nobody outside of the States would be crazy enough to do it.

Anyone know of another REPUTABLE site that ships internationally?

The part I need is:  http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=19300038&tid=1906

The old part # was: 20810269

I'm in exactly the same situation.  I live in Calgary and need to replace the struts all around.

My solution is to ship it to a shipping outlet in Montana and then drive them across.  It will take my 7 hours and cost $100 in fuel, but it is still far cheaper.  Most online retailers will ship for free within the continental US.  

If you do find someone who will ship to Canada, let me know.  I don't actually need the fronts done right now, but I'd rather bring them up and sit them on the shelf rather than having to drive to Montana again.

Check in with DouglasOak.  He lives in Windsor and shuttles parts across all the time.  Maybe he can help you?!?

DarkSky said:
The old part # was: 20810269

Thanks for this BTW.  I discovered that some retailers don't have the same part numbers.  I've seen 20810269 and 19300038 for this part and I'm not sure if they are identical.

JohnnieMo said:
Thanks for this BTW.  I discovered that some retailers don't have the same part numbers.  I've seen 20810269 and 19300038 for this part and I'm not sure if they are identical.

I'm not sure if they're identical. Both should work - the 208# is the old one.  I called my local GM dealership and it was $462.80 for the 208# and $686.25 for the 193#.

I'm seriously thinking of ditching the entire autoride system and just having regular struts put on.  Anything to keep that damn compressor from running so much.  I don't know what an Avalanche without Autoride drives like, but autoride just doesn't seem to be worth the MASSIVE $$$ it costs for replacement parts.

JohnnieMo said:
I'm in exactly the same situation.  I live in Calgary and need to replace the struts all around.
--snip--

I live 15mins from the border (near Niagara Falls) but I'd never try to smuggle anything back.  Those border guards are like swat team guys now.  They'd probably shoot me for undeclaring the struts.  That's if I didn't get shot and tortured just for trying to ENTER the States...  I could tell you horror stories from people that go over regularly...

Lol.... I didn't say smuggle it! you can declare it and pay the tax. You would pay the tax here anyways.

If your compressor is running that means your rear shocks are leaking, not the fronts. The fronts don't use air ride. The other reason these shocks are expensive is the electronic ride control. The shocks literally change their stiffness in real time. So both features add up to big bucks.

Why are you replacing the fronts?

Why couldn't you come across the boarder, buy the parts, put em on here and drive back across the boarder with em already installed!

hmmmm

Didit

JohnnieMo said:
Lol.... I didn't say smuggle it! you can declare it and pay the tax. You would pay the tax here anyways.

If your compressor is running that means your rear shocks are leaking, not the fronts. The fronts don't use air ride. The other reason these shocks are expensive is the electronic ride control. The shocks literally change their stiffness in real time. So both features add up to big bucks.

Why are you replacing the fronts?

I was told my front right strut was leaking.  So the compressor is JUST for the rear struts????  GRRR!!!  So even if I replace my front struts, my rear compressor is going to keep running a lot?  This truck just keeps turning into more and more of a money pit.  Looks like I'll have to just take it in to the dealership and have them take in in-depth look at it.

I took my truck into the shop and they said my fronts were leaking too.  However there was no ride degradation.  It turned out it was just the silicone lube I sprayed in there to stop some sqeuaking.  These monkeys at the dealership don't really investigate the issue - they just look for the most simple sign and say replace it.  If you aren't noticing the ride being off, I wouldn't rush to replace them.

The rears are another matter though.  In the other thread you noted how you raised the truck.  I'm not sure how this would affect those rear shocks.  They may be fine at the stock ride height.... not sure.  I sprayed mine down with soapy water and it was leaking right through the bladder.  However this was with 1000lbs of bricks in the bed.  In unloaded situations, it still loses some air, but nothing extreme.

DarkSky said:
I'm not sure if they're identical. Both should work - the 208# is the old one.  I called my local GM dealership and it was $462.80 for the 208# and $686.25 for the 193#.

shopchevyparts.com tells me that 193# and 208# are the identical part:

"Both are the same part one is an older number than the other. Part # 20810269 is the current number. GM may send us either the older number if is stock or the newer number. They are the same. GM changes number from time to time."

Back