• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 Grille Installation - Loose Guide

JohnT3

2013 Grille Installation Removal Replacement Guide Tutorial

I thought I would share my experience for those looking to replace their grille.  The replacement really isn't too complicated in retrospect, but I did a lot of things I didn't need to do.  Between my 07-12 Hayne's manual and the directions that came with the grille, neither one helped at all except to be confusing!  Even looking on the internet, I couldn't find anything.

For starters: This is how I did it, my replacement did involve a fair amount of bending of grille area, I didn't notice any problems from this but do so at your own risk!

If you are familiar with removing the bumper cover, that's probably what you should do to do it properly.  This is the quick and easy way.

--------------------------------

First thing to do is remove these 6 bolts marked with red arrows, they're 10mm.  In my pictures, I removed a lot more but I wasn't sure what parts I could take off to get them out of the way.

(The part with the blue line over it is what I wanted to remove but there were 2 bolts holding it on behind the headlights I couldn't access.  Maybe more too? I'm not sure.)

9Sy00Si.jpg

Next step is to remove the nuts securing the bowtie.  There are 2 of them and they are also 10mm, a deep socket would be ideal to start them off but if you're handy, you can get them off anyway.

After that you can work on removing the grille, I squeezed my hand and arm between the upper section and the radiator cover and the grille flexed enough forward where I could push in the tabs on the upper section of the grille to remove it.  There was one huge thing that held up installation by quite a bit, there was one clip on each end side of the upper grille that were a major PITA to remove.  Pictured Below.

CbIphVv.jpg
piNOTHb.jpg

Once I got those off, I could push in all the tabs and get the upper grille off pretty easily.

fM4Jt6V.jpg

Pic with top section removed:
SwS3SAl.jpg

Lower section was easier, mainly because there were no clips to remove and now there's room for hands.

If you look closely, both sides of the grille behind the fascia extend beyond the opening, so therefor I had to remove it by starting with the tabs in the middle.  Also, for the tabs on the bottom side of the lower part of the grille, I couldn't really fit my fingers underneath with enough leverage to pop them. So I felt where they were with my finger and then used a covered screwdriver tip to push them up.

q5yBAsz.jpg

Stg1Ws7.jpg

Installing the new grille is literally a snap! Just the reverse of removal.  I didn't put the end clips back on the upper section of the grille either.  For me, those things were a nightmare getting off!  :E:  And personally, I feel they are overkill.

WCgowtn.jpg

FFTPUgt.jpg

BEFORE:
jzWF8qS.jpg

AFTER:
ccDOjlP.jpg

Wow! are you a "god send" :laugh: i have been trying to figure out if i could put lights there.you know like http://www.rigidindustries.com/    lucky i found you first instead you saved me(everyone)$$$,backaches,scratched knuckles,etc (y)

BUMP!

I finally got that same billet grill for my AV after years of searching for a cheap one. It's unreal what they want for one of these.

My brother is buying my current billet grill.

I'm not a big fan of billets, but that looks pretty good.  Maybe because it matches the trim around the grille and doesn't look too gaudy.

So, ah, still go that factory grille laying around?  I'd like black instead of the chrome on my rig....

Edit.  Ah dammit.  Never mind. You're the one who sold it just as I got my truck.  :E:

Samsquanch said:
Where did you acquire that new grill?  I like it!

Here's my thread where I was choosing between three different ones.  Has the part #'s there!  :D

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,140673.msg2039745.html

Its hard not to love it! Only place to find a decent deal is on epay, if you can find one. Amazon has them for $400  :beating:

IMG_41991_zpsdsy4hsab.jpg

I got my grill off, but its definitely no snap putting the new one on. I have a black Topline grille and there is no way to install it. It has reverse tab clips, but theres no where to clip them to where the old grill was mounted. I have a 2011.

Back