• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HELP!! WANT more power!!

Avalanche 1500

PM 2013
hi, i was just wondering if anyone knows what i can do for a decent price to give me better acceleration it seems like when i mash on the gas it takes a while to pick up speed and build up rpms what do you think i can do to get the rpms to jump earlier and quicker and what will give me better acceleration? thank you  :B:

Depending what sort of power you want, I'd say gears are the cheapest way to get up and go. Beyond that there is no mystery. Add horsepower. I went with a supercharger but that is fairly extreme.

I would see If there is a reputable tuner close by who can tune it or you can get a mail order tune from someone like nelson performance.

Custom tunes are just that...custom.  You can tell the tuner guy what you want in what area of performance and he can give you exactly what you ask for.  The problem is, do you know what you want and how to ask for it?  Some custom tuners put a "block" on the computer so neither you, nor any other tuner, can change their tune in the future.  It forces you to use the same guy.  Mail order tunes from Nelson are a good way to go.  He doesn't "block" the computer, and he offers free lifetime tunes in the event you change your setup and/or needs down the road.  The downside is it is more expensive than it appears up front.  The tune is something like $400, but to install the tune your self via email files, you need a $500 HP Tuners program and $300 for the interface.  Now you're in it for $1200, but it's tuning for as long as you own the vehicle...and the HP Tuners program and interface hardware can be used on other vehicles and if you learn how to use HP Tuners, you can make a few bucks tuning for others.  Be warned...it's not just point and click like surfing the internet...it's more like writing the programs that we all take for granted while surfing the web.  Tinkering with a good tune can lead to a 6000 lb paper weight sitting in the garage.  There are other laptop based tuning programs out there, but I don't know much about them.  The way I understand it, HP Tuners is a Leer Jet and the others are a Tomahawk Helicopter.  Both hi-tech.  Both with a very specific purpose in mind.

Hand held tuners will run $300-$800 and can tune various aspects of the engine and transmission.  Some hand helds offer email tuning changes, but it is not as advanced as full on computer tuning with your lap top. 

What's your budget?  You can make it as fast as you want it - it just takes money.  If we knew your budget we would be able to suggest the most band for your buck.

I'm using a custom Diablo intune with mine and love the results so far. not a bad price complete with tuner and custom tune around 480 bucks.
:cool:

Drop in a 1000 HP Corvette engine and remove all seats as well as most of the body panels.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hpe1000z06.html

(y)

Diablo sport intune with custom tune from 06monte check out diablewtune.com

Woke mine up  (y)

I just got done the steady throttle tuning and now on to WOT tuning...the fun stuff!

Wow, custom tune over handheld any day, you don't see or hear of a performance vehicle that runs at the track using a handheld ever. And MS38W you don't need 1200 bucks to get a nelson tune... cost for a custom mail order tune from Allen (farmtruc) Nelson is roughly $300-330 total. You don't need HPT to use his tunes for a basic, naturally aspirated vehicle therefore you don't need to spend $1200...

To the OP, look into nelson performance and give them a call to ask some questions. Also, whats your location besides USA?

Also with a custom tune you get free re-tunes if you ever do more upgrades to your truck.

we_fly_high said:
Wow, custom tune over handheld any day, you don't see or hear of a performance vehicle that runs at the track using a handheld ever. And MS38W you don't need 1200 bucks to get a nelson tune... cost for a custom mail order tune from Allen (farmtruc) Nelson is roughly $300-330 total. You don't need HPT to use his tunes for a basic, naturally aspirated vehicle therefore you don't need to spend $1200...

To the OP, look into nelson performance and give them a call to ask some questions. Also, whats your location besides USA?

What he said... Nelson good too...a few options to look at in your budget

we_fly_high said:
If by good you mean he owns the fastest LS truck in the nation, then yes he's good!

I believe there's someone on this forum that has twin TVS1900s that is probably a little bit faster than Allen....... >:D

I'd say a tune of some sort, a K&N replacement air filter and a flowmaster or other brand of free-er breathing muffler is where you want to start.

we_fly_high said:

The only way you can get a Nelson tune without spending $1200 is to buy his pre-programmed PCM and send your in as a "core".  That's $500, unless he's reduced in the last 4 years.  Otherwise, you have no way to install an email tune without the HP Tuners program and the interface. I heard that he lowered the price on his tunes, but not to $300.  I can email you a copy of all the receipts I have from Nelson to get the email tuning capability.  Came to $1200, not including the AFR gauge to help him tune...that was another $400.

we_fly_high said:
If by good you mean he owns the fastest LS truck in the nation, then yes he's good!

Honestly...who cares?... Avalanche1500 asked for better acceleration at a decent price...NOT the fastest truck on the planet :rolleyes:

Anyways, have a great day! 

we_fly_high said:

wow ill have to look into that sounds like a good deal, and im from new york

Back