• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Black bear tune

Eat em up

I'm thinking about taking out the sct tune ,that came with the whipple and getting a Black bear tune. Will I see any improvements,or should I just keep the sct tune ? Has anyone done this without any problems?  I have a whipple supercharger. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I want to get rid of the tune from whipple, to get a custom tune. I've heard I will get better results.

Custom is always better.  Just the same reason why a tailored suit is better than the one on the rack.  It fits you truck.

JohnnieMo said:
Custom is always better.  Just the same reason why a tailored suit is better than the one on the rack.  It fits you truck.
(y)
Tune from Whipple; generic for their system to the vehicle. Have you checked their TEC line to see what they offer in custom tunes?
Custom Tuner;
Tuned to your truck, your needs (tire size, gear change, exhaust), and wants/performance level (torque management, abuse mode, RPM shift points and limit), you have input on your tune. Tuners like Black Bear and Nelson offer retunes and upgrades with good support.
If you check/post in your Regional forum you might find someone close with HP Tuner.

JVZL1 said:
Tune from Whipple; generic for their system to the vehicle. Have you checked their TEC line to see what they offer in custom tunes?
Custom Tuner;
Tuned to your truck, your needs (tire size, gear change, exhaust), and wants/performance level (torque management, abuse mode, RPM shift points and limit), you have input on your tune. Tuners like Black Bear and Nelson offer retunes and upgrades with good support.
If you check/post in your Regional forum you might find someone close with HP Tuner.

The HP tuner, if I got one and learned about it and researched it and all that could I tune peoples trucks that have the 5.3 or 6.0 or 4.8 in gm just like I have?

09chevyavy said:
The HP tuner, if I got one and learned about it and researched it and all that could I tune peoples trucks that have the 5.3 or 6.0 or 4.8 in gm just like I have?

Yes, as long as you have the needed licenses.

enoniam said:
Yes, as long as you have the needed licenses.

Mine came with I think 4 additional licenses.  I know you can purchase more, but I don't know how much it is for additional licenses.  Just to clarify for 09chevyavy, it is one license per VIN I believe is how it works.  You can put any motor in the same vehicle and you are good to go, but if you plug into another vehicle, you use up one license.  You can continue to go back to that vehicle as many times as you like, and so on until you have as many vehicle VINs as you do licenses.

The HPTuners' licensing info is a bit confusing on their web site but it looks like you could license all GM Gen 3 V8s for $350 over the cost of the suite assuming you used all 8 of the licensing credits it comes with towards that.

So, as long as the vehicle is of the same type (i.e., any first gen Avalanche) would use one license?  Eight licenses would go a long way if that's the case.

For Gen 3 GM V8s (LS1 based engines), it looks like it takes 2 credits for a single VIN, 6 credits for a single year/model, 15 credits for per their example all Gen 3 V8 cars.  I assume trucks are included but I'm not sure.  It's engine family based - not the vehicle model generation.  Each suite comes with 8 licenses - additional licenses cost $49.99 each.

Back