• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 black diamond nav. update

aval1212

SM 2010
Has anyone got the update for the 2013 nav. Just wondering if its worth getting.    Thanks Steve

Just did mine, but haven't driven it anywhere to notice a difference as of yet. Plan to do it on a highway trip, though - takes about 80 minutes total to run through 2 DVDs for installation! And if you stop, you have to start over. Kind of a ridiculous amount of time, but I assume it is a lot of new data? time will tell!

naylor99 said:
Just did mine, but haven't driven it anywhere to notice a difference as of yet. Plan to do it on a highway trip, though - takes about 80 minutes total to run through 2 DVDs for installation! And if you stop, you have to start over. Kind of a ridiculous amount of time, but I assume it is a lot of new data? time will tell!
Was wondering how you made out the 2013 NAV upgrade disk ..worth it..??
-Bill
kc4pe@mindspring.com

Works fine. No real noticeable difference, but I don't travel much long distance in the truck these days.

I just bought a 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche.  I want to update the nav data base.  Understand will get 2 discs, but how do you open the radio to put the discs in?  On my 2008 Avalanche I had a "change" option under NAV that opened the radio.  I don't see that option on the 2013.  Called GM and they said touch Menu-NAV-Data Base Info, but that doesn't open it. -- Ted

rca0850 said:
I just bought a 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche.  I want to update the nav data base.  Understand will get 2 discs, but how do you open the radio to put the discs in?  On my 2008 Avalanche I had a "change" option under NAV that opened the radio.  I don't see that option on the 2013.  Called GM and they said touch Menu-NAV-Data Base Info, but that doesn't open it. -- Ted

Does your radio have a hard drive in it and you can store music.

Yes.  Wondering if CD/DVD drive also is where you load nav update discs.

Best option is to check your owners manual.

There may be a separate navigation manual as well.

If this does not work try inserting the first disk into your system and see if it recognizes it automatically.

I assume it installs automatically. Otherwise there is likely a command in one of your menus to update the system. This disk won't just contain navigation updates but updates to your radio software as well.

Rodney

Call a dealer or call GM nav disc support

- Call us at 1-877-628-3472
  - Monday through Friday: 9:00 a.m. ? 7:00 p.m. (EST)
  - Saturday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.(Eastern Time Zone)
    Saturday hours available from April 1 - July 1 only.

I saw on the website a DVD for Denso Radio.

I think the one you have uses a USB drive

Thanks for suggestions.

Did call GM Navigation Center. . . they told me to use the NAV menu which didn't work.  Will try again when I am in the truck.

Neither Owners Manual nor Nav Manual say how to open the NAV disc reader.

Took it to my dealer. . . they also thought there was a command to "change" under NAV and they couldn't find it either.  They didn't think the USB update was correct, as the GM NAV Center shows 2 DVDs. 

Ordered the GM 2013 Full Size Truck Navigation Manual #22950588A. . . should arrive Thursday 10/19/2017.  If that fails, will put the 1st disc in the DVD player and see what happens. -- Ted

Received the GM 2013 Full Size Truck Navigation Manual #22950588A. . . said nothing about updating maps.

After lots of searching, I found how it works.  See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBwZzbaBUU.  Video is for a Chevy Volt, but it's the same deal.  The normal DVD player also does the Nav map update.

So ready to go as soon as discs arrive.  Ordered 6 days ago and still not arrived. Thanks for the help. -- Ted

Thanks.

Yes. . . update took about 3 hours in DVD player. 

Going to call back to GM Nav Disc Center. . . when update all done, says V.2015.  But I bought V.2016.

So GM said the NAV 2016 update was produced in Oct 2015.  So I told them I ordered the update in Oct 2017, so I could get a 2016 update.  They said there isn't one.  "Try again in Oct 2018".  Not feeling the love.

Back