• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New to Avalanche, Need some Info

HostileJava

We are in the process right now of buying an 02 2500 with tow package.  I have a pop up camper that is 2600# unloaded and 3500# loaded with a 350# TW.  I have been towing it with a 99 Blazer and it works but I'm not crazy about the setup which is why we are getting the Avy.  So I was told by the current owners of the Avy that they have never used it to tow anything so I would imagine that the wiring is not hooked up.  My qestions are:

1. In a 2002 do I need to hook up a wire for aux power on the trailer wiring?  If so where?  In my Blazer it was a wire I had to land in the fuse box that was hidden under my airbox along with the wire from the back for the electric brakes.

2. Do I have to hook anything up to get power to the wiring for the brake controller?  My trailer has electric brakes and I'll be using the Prodigy P2 I had in my Blazer, I have already ordered what I hope is the correct harness for that.  With the Blazer I had to actually pull the wire in from the engine bay to the cabin and supply power for it, looks like I probably won't have to do that for the Avy using the below harness?
http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3025-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B001NZQID4/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Model=Avalanche%202500%7C417&Year=2002%7C2002&carId=004&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

3. Should I be looking at any type of WD for a load this light?  I have friction sway control on the trailer already and didn't seem to have any major issues with the Blazer pulling it and sway or rear sag.  But I see all these threads with frame damage and it's making me nervous.

4. On the 02 2500 what exactly does the tow package include?  On my 99 Blazer we had the heavy duty tow package but that just meant it came with a factory reciever, and the wiring for a 7 pin connector tucked up behind the rear bumper.  I had to actually install the connector for the 7 pin harness and I had to pull the wiring for the brakes into the cabin myself from the engine bay.

5. Do I need an aftermarket tranny cooler for this size load on the Avy? When monitoring temps on my Blazer I would hit upward of 235F tranny fluid temp when climbing hills and towing, after the installation of the cooler I cruise at 145F when towing and can reach about 160F when climping steep hills.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The Av tow pkg includes the wiring, but my '04 just came in a bag and the dealer hooked it up. If your tow bar receiver is installed the electrical should also have been installed with the outlet, all ready to go. The tow pkg includes the aux trans. cooler - just look near the bottom of your radiator - forget if it's in front or back of the main one. You should have a wiring outlet diagram that matches your trlr plug. You'll have to do the setup with the controller to get the proper braking.

A 350 lb wgt on the hitch is within specs w/o tow bars. If you get any sway, add them.

You can always have a qualified RV/trailer dealer do it all for you. ???

Marv <g>

Thanks, I realize the tow weight and tongue weight are withing spec, but wondering if I should be using WD anyway or be upgrading the hitch because of the issues I've been reading about that others have had with the frame bending, I realize that I am not towing nearly as much, but hoped someone with experience towing that weight load would speak up.  The 7 pin plug is indeed installed and I would imagine that the turn/brake/backup/ground/etc are working, I was wondering if there was anything additional needed to activate the 12v aux and the electric brake pins as additional work was needed for that on my Blazer.  Like I said I DO have a friction sway bar installed already on the trailer and didn't have any sway issues with the Blazer, so I doubt it will be an issue with the Avy.

Read the sticky threads in the 1500 section on MAXI fuse and harness...

Hard to answer for your used truck as who knows what original owners did

If stock you needed to add fuse I think and use Brake controller harness for 2002 year only.

Then some buy beefier hitch since stock ones can bends under sever loads.

Try sending a PM to Big Block Birch he tows a lot  and may be able to help answer some questions...

On my 2002 1500, I had to install a fuse in the underhood fuse box to get power to the plug at the receiver.
It has been so long, I don't remember which fuse it was.
The fuse came with the truck along with a wire harness.
I never used the wire harness, as I have never towed with my 2002.

A 2500 wont even know that a 3500 pound trailer is there. You will be fine. (y)

Ditto on AV 2500's post.. My boat and trailer weigh about 5500 lbs and I sometimes forget it's back there when going down the highway.. A 2500 won't even break a sweat with 3500 lbs behind it..

Randy

The 2500 Avalnche should already have a transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator. You will have no issues towing the camper from a power and stability standpoint (you have a atleast a 10,800 lb towing capacity). The 2500 has a transmission temp gauge.

Some pointers- Use AC Delco plugs if you do a tune up, check your oil frequently (8.1 engines use oil about a quart every 1500 miles).

Avalon

avalonandl said:
The 2500 Avalnche should already have a transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator. You will have no issues towing the camper from a power and stability standpoint (you have a atleast a 10,800 lb towing capacity). The 2500 has a transmission temp gauge.

Some pointers- Use AC Delco plugs if you do a tune up, check your oil frequently (8.1 engines use oil about a quart every 1500 miles).

Avalon

You forgot to mention to check the gas gauge frequently also... :eek:

Thanks for all the info guys.  Hopefully I won't be checking the gas gauge that regularly I only plan to use it for hauling/towing, I have a daily driver with a lot better gas mileage.

Back