• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Spare tire on rear bumper!

tay0016

Alright got rear ended last month and I am going to build a rear bumper at work for my truck and have tossed around the idea of putting the spare tire on the rear bumper. I have a 6.5 Inch Lift with 35 inch tires and i have a 33X12.50 for my spare tire so i think it most likely wont fit in the stock location anyways. Just curious if anyone has pictures of their Avalanche with a rear spare tire mount! Here is a pic of kind of what I'm thinking.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment/vehicles/feature_vehicle/part2/bumper1.jpg

For me, I wouldnt do this. First off I know that if I build a rear bumper I can make it work somehow but.......I have the LT2 with the back up camera and back up sensors and I use the back up cam a LOT. The sensors I love and will relocate them into the new rear bumper when I do it. But for the backup camera I want to still be able to use it, so this wouldnt be an option for me. Im not sure what you have but you could always put it up top on a roof rack or on the bedcovers in a rack.

09chevyavy said:
For me, I wouldnt do this. First off I know that if I build a rear bumper I can make it work somehow but.......I have the LT2 with the back up camera and back up sensors and I use the back up cam a LOT. The sensors I love and will relocate them into the new rear bumper when I do it. But for the backup camera I want to still be able to use it, so this wouldnt be an option for me. Im not sure what you have but you could always put it up top on a roof rack or on the bedcovers in a rack.

Thanks for replying! I have an 03 avy that's lifted 6 inches and it does have a back up camera that I installed under my tailgate handle. I could relocate that pretty easily I think! Definitely a lot to think about!

Yeah, if I really wanted to to the tire gate I would mount the backup cam into the bumper right above the hitch and replace that bezel with one without the camera. That would be a cool mod I think if I did the cam in the rear bumper and then did the tire gate. HMMMM maybe a new idea!!! Plus I wouldnt have that big tire up top. But, I would still need the roof rack because I need to mount light bars and want to minimize the amount of holes I have to drill into my roof.

on my moms h2 sut the spare tire is back there... they put the rear view camera on the license plate (in the middle of the spare) and ran the wires up the loom for the license plate lights really clean install and the spare swings out to the side like normal for the tailgate to come down

the hummers have this plate that goes in the center of the spare tire
_0002_genuine-gm-hummer-h2-spare-tire-license-plate-tag-mount.jpg

i have never taken the spare off but im guessing that plate will mount to where the spare was or in her case she would probably need to put the bad tire there because there isnt much room in the bed of an h2 sut

09chevyavy said:
Yeah, if I really wanted to to the tire gate I would mount the backup cam into the bumper right above the hitch and replace that bezel with one without the camera. That would be a cool mod I think if I did the cam in the rear bumper and then did the tire gate. HMMMM maybe a new idea!!! Plus I wouldnt have that big tire up top. But, I would still need the roof rack because I need to mount light bars and want to minimize the amount of holes I have to drill into my roof.

Check out my thread here and see if u like my roof rack set up I really like it and found a wrecked suburban in a junkyard and used its factory roof rack and cut it down and mounted it to my roof... I definitely don't need an extra foot added to my roof in height lol that'd be to much I think lol.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,141590.0.html

Yeah I saw that man, I just dont know where any salvage yards are around here besides pull-a-part. And all those vehicles are at least 10-12 years old. Its a great idea and not the first I have heard of. Actually man I went away from the xd cranks that have a 5 spoke similar to the revolvers like you have and I am going with the revolvers and just putting a half inch spacer behind them to be able to fit them with my future lift. So just know, you are part of my build now.  (y) I guess I will have to look online and call around some salvage yards around here now

09chevyavy said:
Yeah I saw that man, I just dont know where any salvage yards are around here besides pull-a-part. And all those vehicles are at least 10-12 years old. Its a great idea and not the first I have heard of. Actually man I went away from the xd cranks that have a 5 spoke similar to the revolvers like you have and I am going with the revolvers and just putting a half inch spacer behind them to be able to fit them with my future lift. So just know, you are part of my build now.  (y) I guess I will have to look online and call around some salvage yards around here now

Thats awesome man! what kind of lift are you looking at? you will have to let me know if you have any questions! I'd be happy to help if I can! I love doing this sort of stuff!  :D

Depending on the amount of weight you are putting on the Tire Swing Away, you could weld in a hinge kit (basically a trailer spindle and bearings) to support the weight.

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/product.php?productid=16138

100_3749b%2000-36-55.jpg

P101000225.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

Then fab up a bumper and swing to your liking with whatever accessories you may need.

Split Gate
617276d1314638378-swing-away-tire-carriers-pics-please-truck.jpg

615978d1314069332-swing-away-tire-carriers-pics-please-p1100649.jpg

Or a single swing with all the goodies loaded on it!!

Little honey to make your breakfast NOT included!!!

IMG_8472resize.jpg

If you just want a spare holder and minimal work, look into something from http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/

hg_01_b.jpg

hg_03.jpg

Thanks DouglasOak!!! I didnt even think about searching something like that. I looked it all up and it looks really sweet and I will for sure be putting that on my rear bumper. On of the cool things I think is that I can take off the tire, swing gate, and I would have to make sure that the plate to mount the t handle for the gate to lock closed is actually in the bumper tube. And the t handle would be facing down and going through the tubing in the carrier. I would make sure of that so I can still use my tailgate. But I would have to make sure that I replace my tailgate bezel with the camera with one without one. Then I would extend the wiring to the bumper. I would make the bumper to fit the backup sensors. I would also use the camera so that it was right above the hitch. I just have to make sure that the hitch will clear the bumper. If I do end up switching to a bigger stronger hitch does it hang down lower?

I would leave the pin in the part that swings out... You don't want a pin upside down on a vehicle It could vibrate out and gravity would do the rest and then you have an open tire gate while driving down a trail or a road

No I meant that if the tubing is running parallel to the bumper, instead of the handle facing out to the rear, make the tubing a little longer so I can make the handle face up instead so that it goes down through the top if the tube and into the top of the bumper. Then I would thread a hole I drill into the bumper and that way I don't have a tab sticking in the way of my tailgate folding down. I will draw a picture and post it later today

I carry a 315 under truck on stock spare. In stock location.
and a 5th matching up on top at all times. 35" interco on Rockmonster wheel

Yeah, D-Oak is spot on...the tiregate.com site is where I've seen them before.  I have the same issue; stock spare location isn't going to work well.

They have universal mounts, including offset, centered, and an adventure series (which we're all adventurists as Avy owners, right?)  :cool:

There's a safari series, but no pics on the website. ??

Kinda pricey - $690 and up

The only thing is for me with the backup camera and the sensors I wouldnt be able to use them because of the tire gate, I would if I did the tire gate custom on the custom rear bumper

Thats a good point. 

My "sensors" work like this...

Reverse...

"Bump"....Oops, that poor Honda Ridgeline.  Sorry little fella!

>:D

Back