• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Big question

dblkone

I just got rid of my 03 for a 07 with only 42,000 miles on it for a great deal. My question is how do you know if it has the factory remote start? Came with one key fob with only the lock and unlock but was told that doesn't mean it doesn't have it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your glove box for code AP8. This means you already have remote start option.

You will have to purchase GM part #17801236 , to get the code to "activate" the remote start.
The package comes with the two remotes, and the code for $189 retail... and then you need a Tech2 programmer to install the code.

The code is for the VIN database, that way if the ECM ever has to be reflashed it is in the VIN.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?addtocart=1&addpartnumber=17801236&singlepart=1&partnumber=17801236
17801236.jpg

dblkone said:
Thanks for the replies and just check and I do have the AP8 option. So is this a dealer part or I can do it myself??

Get a fob with the start button, program it, have a warm truck when its cold. I have an option in my DIC to program fobs. Yours should be the same.

Just looked up my truck, RPO code is AP3. You might wanna double check your info karl. It may be both codes are remote start. Again, if you get me your vin, I can pull all you rpo codes and tell you what they mean.

EDIT: Karl was right. RPO AP8 is a remote start prep pakage. AP3 is remote start installed. You need to purchase the part number karl posted, take it to a dealer to get it programed. Then your good to go.

You can program the remotes to work with your vehicle as krazycarguy stated thru the DIC progamming feature.

However, without a Tech2 programmer to input the code, the remote start feature will be inoperable.

I believe AP3 is factory programmed remote start and AP8 is dealer available remote start. AP3 works from factory... AP8, not so much.

1LT - AVALANCHE LT1 EQUIPMENT GROUP  
1SZ - OPTION PKG DISCOUNT  
50U - SUMMIT WHITE  
6SF - SUSPENSION  
7SF - SUSPENSION  
83D - TITANIUM  
83I - DARK TITANIUM  
A31 - POWER WINDOWS  
A95 - RECLINING BUCKET SEATS  
AG1 - POWER DRIVER SEAT  
AJ1 - DEEP TINTED GLASS  
AL0 - SENSOR INDICATOR INFLATABLE RESTRAINT FRT PASS  
AP8 - REMOTE VEHICLE STARTER PREP PKG  
AT5 - FOLDING CENTER SEAT  
AU3 - POWER DOOR LOCK SYSTEM  
AXP - MPV VIN IDENT POSITION  
B30 - CARPETING, COLOR-KEYED  
B41 - CARGO AREA FLOOR MAT  
B58 - COLOR-KEYED FLOOR MATS, CARPETED  
B85 - BODY SIDE MOLDING  
BVE - ASSIST STEPS  
C49 - ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER  
C5W - GVW RATING - 7000 LBS  
CJ3 - AIR CONDITIONING DUAL ZONE MANUAL  
D07 - CUSTOM FRONT FLOOR CONSOLE  
DF5 - ISRV MIRROR W/COMPASS & TEMP  
DH6 - LIGHTED VISOR/VANITY MIRRORS  
DK8 - DELUXE OVERHEAD CONSOLE  
DL8 - DUAL PWR HEATED OSRV MIRRORS  
DT3 - REAR STOWAGE COMPARTMENT  
EN4 - 3 PIECE RIGID TONNEAU COVER  
EVA - EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT  
FE9 - FEDERAL EMISSIONS  
G80 - LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL  
GT4 - REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO  
JD9 - BRAKES, 17" DISC/DISC  
K34 - CRUISE CONTROL  
KG3 - 145 AMP ALTERNATOR  
KUP - THROTTLE CONTROL ELECTRONIC  
LC9 - VORTEC 5300 V8 SFI FLEX-FUEL  
M30 - 4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION  
MSL - SILAO, MEXICO PLANT  
N86 - FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL  
NP5 - LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL  
NP8 - AUTOTRAC ACTIVE TRANSFER CASE  
NT8 - EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER  
P46 - 17" ALUMINUM WHEEL  
QAS - P265/70R17 ALS WOL TIRES  
R6P - PREMIUM PAINT  
R9N - PROCESSING OPTION ONLY LEATHER SEAT TRIM  
R9Q - INDIANA ORDERS - POMS  
SAF - SPARE TIRE LOCK  
SLM - STOCK ORDERS  
SLT - EQUIP CHEV 'LT' SALES PKG  
T74 - HEADLAMPS  
T96 - FOG LAMPS  
TL1 - GRILLE  
U2K - XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.  
UE1 - ONSTAR SERVICE: INCLUDES 1 YEAR SAFE & SOUND PLAN  
UJ6 - TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR  
UK3 - STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS  
UK6 - REAR SEAT AUDIO CONTROLS  
UQA - BOSE PREMIUM SPEAKER SYSTEM  
US8 - AM/FM STEREO WITH CD/MP3  
V43 - PAINTED REAR STEP BUMPER  
V73 - STATEMENT OF VEHICLE CERT.-U.S. /CANADA  
V76 - RECOVERY HOOKS  
VGD - BODY COLOR FRONT FACIA  
VR4 - WEIGHT DISTRIB. PLATFORM HITCH  
VXS - COMPLETE VEHICLE LABEL  
X88 - CHEVROLET CONVERSION  
YD3 - BASE AXLE  
YD5 - BASE FRONT SPRING  
YD6 - BASE REAR SPRING  
YE9 - LS TRIM  
ZVL - SPARE TIRE, P265/70R17 ALS BW  
ZW7 - PREMIUM RIDE SUSPENSION  
ZW9 - BASE BODY  
ZY1 - SOLID PAINT  

So, your truck is preped for remote start, but you need an activation code from the kit you need to puchase. The dealer will call TAC with the code. They will write a BCM program that the dealer will program into your truck. We do it all the time.

the warrenty repair history on your truck is interesting. The water pump was replaced at 40k. The oil pump was replaced at 26k. A part in the trans was replaced at 19k. I dont think the previous owner was very nice to your truck.

That is interesting I'm glad I bought a extended war for it. So I can just buy the key fobs and the code and go to the dealer and I should be good to go.

dblkone said:
That is interesting I'm glad I bought a extended war for it. So I can just buy the key fobs and the code and go to the dealer and I should be good to go.

Key fobs and code come as a kit. But yes, thats what you have to do. or just go to the dealer, tell them whats up and they can help you out.

Thanks for all your help and advise I love this site!! Now I just hope the dealers here in Virginia Beach are not too money hungry and try to charge a arm and a leg for this. Thanks again!! (y)

dblkone said:
Thanks for all your help and advise I love this site!! Now I just hope the dealers here in Virginia Beach are not too money hungry and try to charge a arm and a leg for this. Thanks again!! (y)

BTW, nice on the summit white, :love: I love white avys

dblkone said:
Talk to a service writer named Orlando Goodhope at Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake. He will treat you well. I have been buying vehicles and getting them serviced there for about 24 years now and they treat you fair.

Waiting on Orlando to call me back but hope he can help me out and thanks. The white has grown on me and I like it and it's easier to maintain than black. Thanks again for all the info. (y)

So..... No luck with the dealership doig this at all. I was told that the parts does not exist from GM anymore and told them that i can get the parts from GMDirect.com and then was told that they would not be able to activate it. SMH time to go aftermarket..

dblkone said:
So..... No luck with the dealership doig this at all. I was told that the parts does not exist from GM anymore and told them that i can get the parts from GMDirect.com and then was told that they would not be able to activate it. SMH time to go aftermarket..

Cant activate it my @$$......

I'm looking into getting remote start added to my 2007 Avy as well.  I too have the AP8 code in the glove box.  It's such a hassle trying to cooperate with dealerships though...  Let me know if things work out for you.

Contacted 2 dealerships about this and no luck with both. I'll look into it more after the holidays I just might just go after market. Omega has a plug and play kit out and you can add on the carlink which has a smart phone app to control it. This seems too easy to be this difficult though. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

maybe if you have onstar you can push the button..i have gotton info from them on this sort of thing...or download the onstar program to your android and try itl...cause if it is installed its activated...if its not installed its not activated..just my opinion as I just was talking to my local salesman as he is my friend and talk a lot...

Back