• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone wired an Avital 4103 Remote start on a 2004 1500?

Davedd

PM 2022
PM 2020
SM 2014
I purchased a Avital Model 4103 for a good price (I think). Retail $199 Tiger Direct $45. I am studying the Installation Guide and a Haynes Repair Manual (24066). Trying to figure out where to wire what. If anyone has done this successfully before, I would like to compare notes (and schematics). I think I can do it and am willing to share information, but it will be easier if someone else has done it. Thanks in advance. Dave

What interface will you be using? You're installing this in a 2004 avalanche?

Might have been referring to how you were interfacing into the truck. Newer trucks tie into the CAN bus more than older trucks do. I am assuming your '04 is the same as my '03 and I have been told most of the connection is simple as tying into the right wires. You do need a security bypass module if you do not have one or it will not work. Newer trucks they mostly just tie into the CAN bus and need very few other wires hooked up. Some modules actually use your factory remotes to operate the starter unit.

You may want to make sure you have a shop that you trust install a starter for you instead of going the DIY route. If you install it poorly you will have nothing but issues and your truck becomes easy to steal because you bypass the security to make these work. And an improperly installed start unit could end up making the truck uninsurable against theft if the company finds out you installed your own.

But even with that warning if you decide to do it anyway look around on this site. There are postings giving the details about every wire you will need to access.

Thanks for the head's up. I have now found some more help on the fourm and am read to do a breadboard to test it. Now if the weather would cooperate (-20F in NE Iowa), I'm ready to go. Thanks again.

Most newer vehicles run on a Data system that controls many features of the vehicle. You will need access and the hardware to program either a idata, xpress, or fortin module. The firmware will provide a data immobilizer bypass, arm/ disarm oem alarm, door lock control, etc. You could install the avital and have a shop install just the module for you if you are looking to save some money. But, i would not prefer that method at my shop bc that just adds another complication if the system does not functiom properly. There should not be much of a charge on this install, i can complete these installs in 2 hours with soldered connections.

Since you have an avital you would prefer to use an xpress kit bc it will run through D2D mode http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=461 . In D2D mode, you would only have to connect the module to pin #2, purple on the oem obd port

The wires needed from the avital include:

Primary h1 harness
1. Black - ground
2. Brown - horn trigger(optional)

Remote start h2 harness
1. Black white - attach to ground if the truck is an automatic
2. Brown - foot brake trigger wire(white at the switch)
3. Gray - hood pin trigger

Heavy gauge relay wiring
1. Pink - 1st ignition(pink under the steering column)
2. Purple - starter(yellow under the steering column)
3. Orange - acc(orange under the steering column)
4. Red - 12v constant(red under the steering column)
5. Pink/white - 2nd ignition(either pink/white or white under the steering column). You must hook this wire up and program it to be 2nd ignition. If not done properly you will get a check engine light and the truck will be in limp mode until you restart the truck with the key
6. Red - 12v constant(red under the steering column)

Merry christmas n good luck

Slight delay due to -20F weather. Noogie, I think your help will be valuable when I start. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep studying the info and may have more questions after starting. Thanks so very much.

noogie said:
Most newer vehicles run on a Data system that controls many features of the vehicle. You will need access and the hardware to program either a idata, xpress, or fortin module. The firmware will provide a data immobilizer bypass, arm/ disarm oem alarm, door lock control, etc. You could install the avital and have a shop install just the module for you if you are looking to save some money. But, i would not prefer that method at my shop bc that just adds another complication if the system does not functiom properly. There should not be much of a charge on this install, i can complete these installs in 2 hours with soldered connections.

Since you have an avital you would prefer to use an xpress kit bc it will run through D2D mode http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=461 . In D2D mode, you would only have to connect the module to pin #2, purple on the oem obd port

I've purchased the same 4103Lx system and hearing I need to buy a directed electronics PKALL xpress data transponder (per amazon, automotive genius ?) to install or have installed in my 2004 avalanche 1500.  Anyone confirm that's all I need to provide the install shop or another kit to make it work?  appreciate help.  Sully67

How did everything go with this?
I am looking around and saw this exact remote start.

Does it also lock/unlock the doors?

Did you have any issues getting it installed?

mrsocks said:
How did everything go with this?

Well, If I had more time towork on it, it would have been better. I'll give a quick summary. I've got a mechanic that said I needed a ByPasskit Model GMDL-BP. But to get the thing to work I had to use his friend who is a real good guy and expert. I have an exact wiring diagram now and can get it posted here but not tonight. It works great. Locks/unlocks doors and makes lights work. Didn't hookup horn. Haven't reprogrammed it. However, had a problem that was a coincidence - the solenoid on the starter failed - 12 volts to it but would not energize - tapping with hammer didn't work but jumping it did work - anyway replaced the starter was necessary - in other words it started working but i didn't trust it. I have used it every day - a couple of times a day with absolutely no problems. Also the range I tested in direct line of sight - 170 yards. Since I don't read this forum much, please email me if you want to have the wiring information - dave at dunlavy dot us

Back