• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Difficulty While Re-Fueling

Kenny_Rogers

Hello,

I have 2011 Avalanche LTZ with about 50k miles on it.  Off and on I have problems with fueling up - the pump keeps kicking off and it takes me forever to fill up the tank.  When I took it to the dealer the first time, they said some valve was covered in mud and was not working right (I frequent construction sites). This was preventing the tank from getting vented (or something).  I asked them to show me what/where it was so I could deal with it myself.  The dealer just told me to bring it down if it happened again.  Well it is has happened a number of times and bringing it to them every time is ridiculous.

I really don't feel like taking it the dealer again since they are probably not going to cover it under warranty (a case could be made they never fixed the original issue).  Does anyone know what this valve is?  Where is it?  Is is a pain in a$$ to fix myself? 

THANKS!

Bought my 2004 at the beginning of 2013 and i have the same problem.  It hates certain pumps and makes me feel like i am fueling up a gas tank for the first time.  Trick a guy at the gas station told me was to turn the pump sideways while fueling.  If i find out anything else ill make sure to drop you a message.

I JUST fixed this issue with my '04.
I ended up replacing the fuel vent solenoid...a $15 part, and 5-10 minutes worth of work.

Not sure if it is in a different place on the NBS, but mine was located just above the rear diff. attached to a metal tab under the bed.

Very cool.  I have the same issue but I was thinking it was just the 2 stations I use around here. 

ARMYtango said:
I JUST fixed this issue with my '04.
I ended up replacing the fuel vent solenoid...a $15 part, and 5-10 minutes worth of work.

Not sure if it is in a different place on the NBS, but mine was located just above the rear diff. attached to a metal tab under the bed.

Thanks for the info.  Any chance you have the part number handy?  Did you pick it up at a local parts store (Napa, Autozone, etc)?

PuddleStompin said:
Thanks for the info.  Any chance you have the part number handy?  Did you pick it up at a local parts store (Napa, Autozone, etc)?

AC Delco 214-2149
I bought mine on Amazon, but I do know it is around $20 at AutoZone if you want it right away.
I usually don't mind waiting if it is a good deal...lol

Wasn't there a recall for this a while back?

I have the same problem, tilting the nozzle/handle upwards usually helps, or sideways like others mentioned

my jeep had this problem... i always just made sure the nozzle wasnt in all the way or it would click off every time  (n) havent had that problem with the av though

ARMYtango said:
AC Delco 214-2149
I bought mine on Amazon, but I do know it is around $20 at AutoZone if you want it right away.
I usually don't mind waiting if it is a good deal...lol

Thanks for the update.  Another project to tackle now.

PuddleStompin said:
Thanks for the update.  Another project to tackle now.

Should only take you about 10 minutes to do.  You may only need a flat head screw driver to pry a small tab out....that's it!

Mine had that problem earlier this year and I could never get it full.I could only get 20 gallons in the tank at every filling station I went to .
I had planned to get it fixed this summer but all of a sudden it went away and has not resurfaced in the Avy.
The FX35 I bought for Christmas however is now having the exact problem whenever I fill up at Costco.
Take the truck to Sam's Club however and it fills up just fine.

Costco pumps break my chops at least 3 pop offs until the tank is filled.....never a problem with either of the Sam's or Shell or Sheetz, etc just this Costco and it happens on different pumps in the station.....I figure it must be how the sensitivity of how their vapor recovery system is set

And I thought I was going crazy...  :E: I wouldnt even spend the time or money to fix it... Instead I only put the nozzle in about an inch and hold it while I pump... (No matter how i write that it was gonna sound dirty)  :laugh: But seriously just just barely put the nozzle in...Its been a over a year and I havent had a problem and I fill up about twice a week.

I have this issue but it is only at 1 particular gas station so I just avoid that one.  Now I am wondering if I have more of an issue.

I replaced the solenoid and the canister. I made it 7 months and I am replacing again. The canister is $100 at Rock Auto. But doing this every 6-7 months is ridiculous!!!! What is the problem causing this? I do top off my tank when I fill it, maybe that is my problem? I do make sure that I don't pick up trash and clog it up. Any ideas on why this keeps happening?

Roni0219 you should stop when the tank is full and not try to "top it off".
Also do yourself a favor and don't run the tank low either since that can lead to problems with overheating the fuel pump and clogging a filter.

My 04' has been doing this for a couple years now if not longer.  I'm use to it now.  I can never get more than 26 gallons in the tank.  Most don't like running the engine while filling the tank but I find that it does help.  I don't like doing it either but it works better.

Honestly, this thread should be a sticky!

I've had this happen on two occasions at two different gas stations with my 2013.  Thought it was just the fuel station pump, but the second time really had me wondering.  I never "top it off" either.  The only way I got it to fill up the second time was to put it on the lowest flow setting with it just barely in.

If it happens again, I'll look into replacing what the others mentioned.

I had that too, I do know what fuels ya'lls have locally, but in cornville, we have E85 option, and seems like my truck kicks the pump with E85 and certain pumps do it at certain stations.

I was once told, that it has something to do with flow from the nozzle to the tank, and the filler neck can't keep up, some pump faster than others, and it causes the sensor to trip. I do not know how true that is, but it made sense.

I also replaced that vent valve canister doodad mounted above the spare tire, didn't help. Shut off my check engine light for a while till my MAF sensor, and air bag sensor and O2 sensors decided to crap out. 

TECHONOLOGY!!!!!!

Hopefully I was able to help you.

Bigtrucklover said:
Honestly, this thread should be a sticky!

I've had this happen on two occasions at two different gas stations with my 2013.  Thought it was just the fuel station pump, but the second time really had me wondering.  I never "top it off" either.  The only way I got it to fill up the second time was to put it on the lowest flow setting with it just barely in.

If it happens again, I'll look into replacing what the others mentioned.

did you ever have any more problems refueling, and if so did you do anything to correct the problem.
I have a 2013 Avalanche and having the same problem that you sre while refueling.
thank you

Someone else gave a piece of advice to keep the filler handle at the 4 o'clock position when you are filling up. Took a couple times to figure it out, but now I just pull waaaaaaay forward from the pump so the hose/handle will rest at 4 o'clock. Works great!

I have an 05 and it's got 215,000 on it and never had a fueling issue  until 2 months ago. So I've changed both the canister and the purge valves, and like other it turned out my CEL but didn't fix the slow fueling issue.
Anyone have any new suggestions/ fixs?

Thanks for any input in advance. 

Back