• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 avalanche 2500 cluster question

Kevinka

hey people

just wondering if anyone can answer a question for me

I need to replace the cluster in my truck. good old stepper motors are gone, so either going fix mine or replace. the reason why
i am thinking on replacing it is because my oil life only resets to 64% and was thinking there is a board issue with my cluster.

I know that you can plug and play most 03-06 clusters, but my question is does the Vin info need to be inputed into the cluster???

I can get a 2004 escalade cluster or an 04 denial cluster but i was reading somewhere that the way the fuel milage feature works is off the vin, motor and gear ratio ?

can someone clarify if this is true?

Thanks in advance

The clusters themselves are plug and play, however depending on the features, you may have to visit the dealer or someone that has a Tech 2 to program the added features for you.

Didit

How do you know the oil life is only 64%? Otherwise the motors are cheap and easy to replace.

If you get a new cluster you will likely have to have it programmed for you to match the mileage.

i dont care about the mileage on the cluster, i will just record it, i just wanna know if the vin changes the options????

if both trucks have the same options but one has a 6.0 liter and mine has a 8.1 will the everything be true

when i reset my oil life it only resets to 64%

redheadedrod said:
How do you know the oil life is only 64%? Otherwise the motors are cheap and easy to replace.

If you get a new cluster you will likely have to have it programmed for you to match the mileage.

Kevinka said:
when i reset my oil life it only resets to 64%
Changing the cluster won't fix this problem, I know because last month I had mine swapped out at work and the oil life still won't go to 100% on reset. The problem is somewhere else.

The VIN does NOT change the options.. I believe the information you are talking about come from support modules and the dash cluster will just talk to them. However the vin and Odometer are programmed into the cluster. You may get error codes on the cluster if the vin and mileage don't match the truck values as stored in the BCM for mileage and multiple placed for Vin.

I do know you have to have a cluster that supports the extra features such as the fuel mileage and such. I don't see the oil life in my truck but I don't (currently) have a steering wheel with buttons on it although another member is SUPPOSED to be sending me one with a wire harness that I am going to install. If I ever get it.

Others here have mentioned different clusters are programmed to support features and others are not. I don't know if Mileage can be reprogrammed in the cluster. I am under the impression that Mileage can be set in a new cluster but one it has been set once it can not be reset but I haven't tried so I don't know. But the Vin number can be reset.

Also note that things like gear size and such are calibrated in the PCM(ECM?) for use by the transmission and engine running capabilities. If these had to be reset in the cluster as well then you wouldn't have all of the after market programmers out there...

Rodney

Back