• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 driver side leak.

zakerid

I opened my door and found this puddle. After closer inspection I can see some rust.
image-2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMPiVkR3rU&sns=em

Very disappointed. With the problems I've had with my 2010 traverse and now this, GM is losing a long time customer. 

anything under warranty even if its a simple fix i would take to the dealership that way it is documented in case it causes problems in the future... all vehicles are going to have problems (whether its ford chevy or dodge) what should determine you being a loyal customer or not should be how the situation is handled once the problem is spotted all avys go through hydro testing after they are built but think of automation and assembly how easy it would be for something to go wrong when they are building multiple at once ...

I had serious leaks in the bed - dealer took care of it promptly. Involved replacing some of the seals. No leaks now. Youir dealer should take care of it.

wyotonka said:
anything under warranty even if its a simple fix i would take to the dealership that way it is documented in case it causes problems in the future... all vehicles are going to have problems (whether its ford chevy or dodge) what should determine you being a loyal customer or not should be how the situation is handled once the problem is spotted all avys go through hydro testing after they are built but think of automation and assembly how easy it would be for something to go wrong when they are building multiple at once ...
I understand what you are saying.  My experience of late is that my GM purchases have cost me way more than the purchase price because of my time (days not working) involved at the dealer with warranty work.  It should not be this way.

I agree that it should not be this way.  What we pay for vehicles these days...and truck prices are on the rise at an exponential rate...something this simple to test should not have gotten passed quality control. 

That said...does it leak every time it rains or was this a one time deal?  Reason I ask is that my wife has a bad habit of not making sure the seat belt has retracted fully, as it often gets twisted in her coat as she exits the vehicle and won't retract.  She closes the door and the belt get's pinched.  Once, the metal belt clip got slammed in the door and dented the door frame.  If your seat belt is getting caught up in the weather stripping...the door will leak.

This is not the first time but happens sporadically.  Taking to the dealer next week (1.5 hr drive...), I need to remember to see if they could address the whistling throttle as well.

Still leaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69EBSFB8yQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg

Trick is to find a good dealership to get the fix done in one shot.....traveling an extra 1/2 hour or so for a good dealership is time well spent.

Exact leak area as my '12........I brought it in and asked that they change the weather seals........ they said a leak in the seals was unlikely, more likely was a leak in "A" pillar front drain for the sunroof or could be something else, i.e. the windshield or satellite antenna seal .....they advised against waiting because it would take time to check it out properly which requires popping the headliner to double check all the seals and drain connections.......turned out to be a leak in the windshield seal....repaired in less than 3 hours waiting at the dealership and the problem was solved......spent the waiting time test riding a Camaro, Impala and Traverse, eating free donuts and drinking coffee and watching TV ...even gave the Avy a free car wash to check out the repair.

All under warranty and I didn't even buy that particular vehicle there!

Time for more donuts and coffee because it leaked again after I hand washed the truck in the driveway......this time the vehicle was not driven and the area was dry before it was washed.

I might have been right about the door surround weather seal in the first place. This time they removed and glued the body seal surrounding the door frame.......apparently the water was getting under the seal at the roof line and channeling around under seal to the area behind the emergency brake handle kick plate and into the door channel and carpet under the driver's feet.

Heavy rain today and the interior door area, rug and pad is still dry...A lot of water was flowing down around the outside of the weatherstrip, but this time none through on the inside.......appears that the gluing/sealing of the weatherstrip to the body stopped the leak.  

The funny thing is the '12 leaks in this area and the '13 with the same push on weatherstrip doesn't......could be that some seat properly on the lip without sealant and others don't and leak. Can't figure out why this push fit weatherstrip isn't glued on in this critical area in the first place on all the vehicles?

Still leaking... Notice the rust on the door sill.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VzX7zcBPhOc

Real annoying but often the leak is coming from an area different from where it appears.

In addition to removing the sill plate, pull the fuse panel door on the end of the dash and kick plate over the brake handle and check for water in those areas......then the leak is from the sun roof channel, windshield or OnStar antenna, possibly even the roof rack. Originally there was water behind the fuse panel area and dealer's sealing the windshield fixed that area, but evidently that was not the only leak because there was still water coming in at the in the sill area and under the driver's rug.

On the second trip to the dealer they glued in the seal on the body frame going around the drivers door and that fixed the leak because there was no more in the seal area.....evidently it was channeling water from the roof area under the inside of the seal and out the seam located at the sill plate.....but even though they stopped the leak.......the padding under the rug was soaked with about a quart of water from the leaks that just sits there and the rubber mat keeps it there and the pad wicks the water all the way up to the pedal area even though the water was coming in at the bottom area where the door body seal is seamed and getting into the wiring channel and getting sucked into the rug padding.............had to go through four rolls of paper toweling and pressing on the carpet and following up with a hairdryer to get MOST of the water out, then no rubber mat for a month and finally the area dried up and it continues to remain bone dry so now I can say for certain there are no more leaks.

Update...
Still leaking.  Waiting for GM to do the right thing.  Not holding my breath.  If they leave me hanging, there will not be another GM vehicle in my driveway.

Back