• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

08 Avy?Need some ideas on some upgrades!

EdGutierrez

Just traded in my 03 z71 Avy for an 08 z71, which I?m absolutely loving. Its got Corsa exhaust, planned on putting in a Volent CAI in it. Had one in my 03 and was getting almost 60 miles more per tank of gas. what else? tune chip? don?t no much about them. Hids? i just don?t wanna buy junk so need some ideas. pictures r welcome if u got them! thanks guys!

Good choice of exhaust!

One of my families favorite mods is something like this....

http://www.bedslide.com/

And to try and prevent the dash cracking you might want to try one of these......

http://www.dashmat.com/

Is it a street truck, off-road truck, or both?  Daily driver, weekend toy?  Could help us steer you in the right direction

Maybe this would help instead of a tune chip. If you use this tool the tune can be adjusted to fit your needs. I drive a 2008 Z71 and oil loss can be an issue. Turning off the 8 to 4 cyclinder should help, it did with mine. I use to drive it for work but now they supply a vehilce so mine only gets driven maybe 5-20 miles a month where it was 3000-4000 a month.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,142072.0.html

I am about to put a stainless steel "bull bar" on the front end of my 08 LT Avy, AFM disabler and a dash cover.

Bull Bar - check 
Bull%20Bar.jpg

Dash Cover - check (need some images)

Not sure about the AFM Disabler - ???

If you want HIDs do a true retrofit and don't just throw some $30 HIDs off ebay in your projector housings.  The Retrofit Source is the best place to find what you need.

Intake, headers, exhaust and tune are the best route for bolt on type performance mods IMO.

Nice,
I just installed OPT-7 HIDs in the headlights (8000K, 35W, CanBus, No Relay), mostly obnoxious white with a barely noticeable tint of blue.

Sylvannia ZXE for high beams.  The packaging says "HID Attitude" and they are the brightest halogens you can buy OTC.  However, they did not have the white/blueish flavor I was looking for even though the bulb itself is tinted blue.

Putco Plasma LED amber DRL's.  Not as obnoxiously bright as I would have liked, but still look sharp.

Good Luck,
Rich

I agree for HID you can't beat the quality of retrofit source.

I also had a superchips cortex, Rancho 4" lift, K&N CAI, and Flowmaster Exhaust. Sounded awesome when everything was installed together

besides the 100K maint stuff (most of it anyway*) I did front and rear sway links and bushings (amazing what some nice moog rear links will do for you on the cheap). I will do the front end this summer (Bilstein shocks bumped up an inch and replace everything that touches them). Oh, and I installed drilled and slotted rotors with Evolution pads. Probably $750 for all of that, maybe. Oh -- and led interior and BU lights.

performance I have $750 invested --- $150 in an airraid MIT tube (independent tests show the factory box with quality filter (I have a purolator pureone) flows just fine) and $600 Blackbear Autocal box / tunes. those two items have taken 2.9 seconds off my 0-60 times. The tuner gives me tons of flexibility for fuel choices and trans performance levels and Justin will do free reprograms with additional mods.

So for about $1,500 the truck is in excellent / mint mechanical condition and LOTS faster than it came from GM (gawd, I hate the factory tune).

the only other thing I will add when the money comes along is a Magnisun SC. I had SCs on my 3 Grand Prixs and really miss that kick in the ass when they wind up.

The best deal I got was the rear shocks --- they're the auto-level ones (forget the fancy name for them -- but not air) for $11.90 each off amazon. I was just looking up prices for stuff and grabbed those just because 2 new fancy OEM shocks set me back $24 total. :)

anyway

* plugs, wires, every coolant hose and new anti-freeze, front o2 sensors, belts, cleaned MAF and TB, flushed brake and PS systems, OEM trans fluid and filter and new pan with drain plug. etc

I kinda split it up. I  did  Projector Headlights (newest Venom Inc set) with all LED lights (switchback signals and DRL's), LED tail lights from Spyder, Volant CAI with Powercore Dry Filter,SLP Tailpipe (eliminated Resonator), and PowerStop front and rear Cross drilled Rotors with Carbon pads kit.

Planning on adding a Flowmaster 70 Series muffler and Diablo iTune 1000 and some new Billsteins Front and Rear within the next few months.

Very happy with the mods!  Probably spent about $1100 so far. I did all the installs myself. Love the way the CAI and SLP tip sounds!  I wanna do the Tune to eliminate the AFM mostly but I'm not gonna complain about a little extra hp

(y)

Back