Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/25/17 07:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My "Knight Rider" Project 2003 Avalanche  (Read 34699 times)
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #175 on: 07/15/17 02:01 pm »

Coolant line stuff done (FINALLY!)
Have to test it out yet to insure the union between the factory water line and the new braided line will hold. I bypassed the Throttle Body since it is not obvious how this could even begin to be helpful. By the time the coolant is warm enough to heat up the TB the engine block would be warm too providing heat to it...

Installed the AUX box for the radio with wiring to go to the computer and to an Aux port that will be added to allow a phone or something to be accepted.

Installed the new crossovers inline in the factory wiring. (Split the tweeter feed wire, figured out which comes from the radio and routed wiring accordingly. )
Using Memphis component set for now. may move to the Diamond Audio later once I get more information on the cross overs. We will see. I atleast want to run these speakers for a while and see how they sound.

Installed the HD Radio. This goes to the PC and will be used eventually as the FM radio. For now will go through the computer which can play through the radio.

Waiting for paint to dry then will be installing the Cell/Wifi/GPS antennae. Had to drill a hole in the roof to install this. I used a paint marker and painted the cut hole to prevent rusting. Will also apply black silicone to the hole to seal it up.

Next step is putting dash back together and install the Memphis tweeters in the A-Pillar, the 6" in the doors and see how they go.

After that will be wiring up the PC box to get it into the truck and operational.

Once everything is back in the truck I can start working on my Midgate box. I have a spare midgate and just picked up a table saw to accomplish this. Will be attaching a box to the back of the midgate and install the speakers inside to box to give them enough front space to move. They are 12 inch Alpine speakers. Will be running them off my Audio Art 100MS amplifiers which put out a measured over 300 watts per amplifer when bridged. (These were cheater amps that were good for 4 ohm bridged. Due to their unregulated power supplies they go up to about 350 watts when the vehicle is putting out full voltage while running. They were rated for 50x2 at 12 volts but ramp up almost logarithmic.

From the interior the only thing that will look different will be the 10" screen in the console. Everything else will pretty much be hidden.

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
redheadedrod
CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member

2003 Z71

Awards
« Reply #176 on: Today at 11:38 am »

Installed the Antenna for the Cell/GPS/WiFi. Will be picking up adapters for the GPS and WiFi so I can use them right away. The Cell is intended for a repeater unit but don't have the $400-$500 to spend for one at the moment...

Installed the Memphis speakers in the doors. These sound way better than factory. Haven't installed the tweeters yet. The passenger side BOSE speaker was torn when removed.. The original BOSE speakers were integrated into the mounting bracket. I ended up using my Dremel and cutting away the basket for the old speaker and used an exacto knife to cut away the surround. The Memphis speakers I used are an exact fit and with them in there look like they belong. Although I didn't pay attention to my butane soldering iron discharge and melted a hole in one of the speaker cones. No damage to the speaker its self other than a hole in it.  veryveryangry  Hopefully the +33 electrical tape will do... Looks funky but won't see it unless really looking for it. Doesn't seem to affect the sound at all since it appears to be hard thin plastic anyhow.

Have to cut the A-Pillars bigger to install the tweeters yet.

Next will be looking at getting the console back into the truck and build the midgate box. Since I have a table saw here just for that project I MAY build the Midgate box BEFORE doing the console install. We shall see... Building the box shouldn't be too hard.. Integrating it into the midgate will likely take some work though.

Rodney

2003 Cladded Black Z71 - PC installed otherwise mostly stock.
4 Light Brake/Turnsignal
All on high and FTDRL (BCM friendly version)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: