• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Adding Homelink problem

Luke M

Hopefully someone can help me out here.  I purchased an overhead console equipped with Homelink to add to my truck.  Now that I've wired it all in, my map lights and dome light stay on constantly.  If I unplug my replacement console, both the console lights (obviously) and the rear dome light go out like they should.  I will explain how I have this wired and hopefully it'll make sense

Original Console:
Orange 12v: goes to map light switch
White Intermittment 12v: goes to map light switch
Black ground: Goes to map light switch.

In the original console, the map light switches are 3-wire.  In the replacement they are only two wire.

Replacement Console from '02' Burban:
Orange 12v:  Goes into a factory splice, sending power to the homelink unit, and then another factory splice into two purple wires going to each map light bulb.
White: Goes to homelink adapter only.
Black ground: Factory splice, one going to homelink unit, the other going to a  second factory splice going to the yellow wires on each map light bulb.

With this original configuration I could turn on and off the map lights, but they would not come on when the door was opened or with the dome light switch, only when using the buttons on the console would they turn on.

I ADDED:
a splice to the white wire coming in off the harness.  I spliced that into the wires coming out of each map light switch going to the bulb.  This should provide the intermittent power directly to the bulb, bypassing the map light switches.

WHAT HAPPENS:
When connected the map lights stay on.  Oddly enough, the rear dome light also stays on.  They never time out.  Even when I started the engine all the dome lights stay on.

I suspect that what's happening is the computer (BCM in this case?) is seeing too much load on the circuit somehow and never kills power to the white wire.  My hope is that someone else has run into this before and can explain what's going on here.  Perhaps I can add a resistor on the white wire to improve the situation?  My short term solution may be to just disconnect my splice, go without the dome light functionality, and just live with having to push the buttons to get the light to turn on.
Any help on the subject is greatly appreciated.

I think I figured out my problem.  When I supplied power to both map lights after the switch from the intermittent wire, I inadvertently tied them together.  So when I push the button on one, both will turn on.  Therefor, I must have had one button clicked on, which would be why they wouldn't shut off. 
I realize now that that's what necessitates the different button switch (2-wire vs 3-wire).  If I want to restore functionality to stock, I would need to also swap the buttons over to 3-wire, which would mean re-doing some wiring. 

Thanks for listening everybody!  I'm an idiot...

From what I read on the 2003-2006 trucks you need to run a constant 12V wire for the homelink.  That is why mine hasn't been hooked up yet haha.

The overhead console does provide a constant 12v for the map lights. That's the power that gets used when you use the map light buttons, otherwise it's on the intermittent circuit.
I want to say "it should be really simple to hook that up" but reading through my posts above would indicate that's a lie.

Adding a 02 component to a 03 is very hard, Just get one from a 03-06 then it's plug and play.

^That.  I wish I had been more attentive when I got the part, but this one was $33 shipped. Most others I saw were double that.  It can be done, it just won't be nearly as easy or pretty.

Oh that's the part I was missing in your troubles. Yeah 02 is it's own animal altogether (but a simpler one when dealing with things in their native environment).

My 2003 does not have homelink in it now. I have been considering buying an over head console with it and replacing my over head console. Is the homelink built into the console?

I am curious what I need to look for to put this in my truck. I am assuming I need to buy the new console and some sort of box to go along with it. Since my truck is a 2003 if I buy one from a 2003-2006 truck will it work? Is the wiring already in place so it is a plug and play?

I want to install a 7" screen in the over head console so I would like to get a new one with both the homelink and sun roof switch built in.

I have a standard over head console now with no homelink.

Rodney

If you get an 03-06 console it should be plug and play. The Homelink unit is self contained and requires only 12v power and ground to function. A third wire for intermittent power is also nice so the buttons light up when you open the door and whatnot. I don't know if the sunroof switch would affect the ability for it to just plug in and work or not. If you already have a sunroof then no worries. Otherwise I'd have to see the wiring for that switch.

So is the homelink part of the console or an add on box?

My truck has no homelink or a sunroof. I am thinking of installing a sunroof so I will install with the switch and go from there.

Rodney

So I hope this is the right place to ask my question about adding homelink. I just bought a 2013 black diamond that has a sunroof but no homelink. I found the GM part number for the overhead console that has sunroof and homelink, part number 22780450. Is replacing the overhead console a plug and play job or is there something else I will to add to get homelink in my Avalanche ?

Looks like the right part number to me, yes it is plug and play

Well it worked ! Got my new overhead console and everything works as you thought . Thanks for the help!

I like the mis-wired homelink in mine. wont work till you power it, so someone cant just hit any button to enter my garage

I bought a console that was for a 2003-2006 with sunroof and didn't realize it was different. I did not see any without sunroof with homelink in them. Been considering putting the homelink in a different location or installing it into my overhead console when I modify it for the touch screen...

Rodney

Back