• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Re-located autoride compressor to saddle bag mod!

blu_fuz

This might be the first AV with the Autoride compressor relocated from under the truck by the drivers side rear tire to into the driver side saddle bag.

The original GM location for these compressors is really bad. It's pretty much open to the elements ie; salt, rain, snow, mud, dirt, etc. For how expensive it is to replace one of these compressors, this mod was a must for me after having a problem with a brand new pump only 8 months after installing.

After getting a 2nd pump through Arnott suspension warranty (they told me no warranty on the 2nd pump), I knew I wasn't going to eat the cost of a new pump again from it being under the truck.

Here is a video of my 1st replacement pump after it started acting up in only 8 months. You can see the rubber flap covered in salt from this winter and the pump didn't look any better and a picture of the pump removed after 8 months:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEl25ibWiTU
0120141812_zps320715b1.jpg

Here is a breakdown of the steps to move your pump. I made a harness that disconnects at the pump for easy removal but you don't need to do that and should save you some time. You will be cutting the factory harness off the pump, which you have to do when you get a replacement unit from Arnott, and making wire extensions to be ran into the saddle bag area. You will also be cutting a small section of autoride air shock tubing so you can splice in a longer section to run into the saddle bag.

Factory harness cut off OEM compressor:
0208141454_zpscbe5620c.jpg

Cut drier canister sensor plug off in the middle:
0208141456_zpsa660359c.jpg

Here I build my own harness quick connect for easy pump removal. I took apart a old ford harness I had laying around and re-pinned it with the correct gauge wires (didn't have exact color matches, but noted on paper what colors match to what):
0208141548_zps69119b3b.jpg

0208141601_zps62a945d8.jpg

Get compressor into drivers side saddle bag, fits perfect:
0208141612_zps4e704d8b.jpg

0208141613_zpsa7cef619.jpg

0208141613a_zpsc0117874.jpg

See these 3 holes? Don't use any of them:
0208141614_zpsfc893ad0.jpg

Measure about 6" towards the front of the truck from the hole shown for drilling your pilot hole (if you drill into the existing hole where the end of the tape measure is, you will drill into the fuel filler neck):
0208141623_zps95f887ec.jpg

See pilot hole drill bit poking through:
0208141628_zps32bd5efe.jpg

Now drill a 1/2" hole to allow the air line and wire harness extensions to fit through:
0208141630_zpsa2ba416e.jpg

0208141631_zpsb60b5320.jpg

0208141632_zpsb519bb1f.jpg

Remove this small air line off the t-fitting shown here:
0208141617_zps5d15d3ac.jpg

0208141621_zps290ac872.jpg

You can buy the correct nylon tubing (approx. 4 feet) and couplers from NAPA for extending the air line for the compressor supply. Cut and attach only one original end to the new hose:
0208141635_zps787d19d8.jpg

0208141635a_zps67fcb9d4.jpg

0208141636_zps6cf47595.jpg

0208141636a_zps47d54f1e.jpg

0208141638_zpsf16babd9.jpg

0208141640_zpsbca590ca.jpg

Connect your spliced end to the t-fitting under the truck and feed the other end of the hose through your drilled hole:
0208141644_zps1fdf7132.jpg

0208141645_zps2cd281fc.jpg

0208141645a_zps2392998c.jpg

Now connect your other end to the end of the new hose extension inside the saddle bag:
0208141651_zpscc1f084a.jpg

Next, make wire extensions (at least 3 feet of wire, 7 colors, blue-gray-red-black-yellow-green-orange) that will run from the OEM harness under the truck into the saddle bag. I soldered and DOUBLE heat shrunk the connections that are under the truck. I don't want to be doing this ever again so do it right the first time. Again, I was matching the gauge of wires, but didn't have the matching colors so I wrote down what my connection colors were so I could follow them later:
0208141659_zps54f6e30c.jpg

0208141704_zpsfa374e85.jpg

0208141745_zps13327bea.jpg

0208141757_zpsbfbf182f.jpg

Pull your new harness extensions up from under the truck, through the hole you drilled, and into the saddle bag:
0208141810_zpsc0d7763f.jpg

You don't need weather tight wire connections in the saddle bag, so attach your wire extensions to the compressor and you are done, or in my case I attached my wire extensions to the quick connect harness that I put together:
0209141753_zps806dbfa9.jpg

0209141823_zps328d1891.jpg

I put a big zip tie at the base of the wires and air line so that the wires can't wiggle down and back under the truck. Put the wire black corrugated wire sleeve on and finished it up. I still need to build a cradle to mount the compressor, get the wire loom secured to the saddle bag side, and put the rubber vibration isolators on the compressor :
0209141824_zps42f30203.jpg

0209141826_zpsecb23d00.jpg

Nice job. Your caution about hole drilling reminds me of the time I drilled through the floor boards of my buddy's cougar xr7 and straight into his gas tank. Oh the times we had

Thanks guys  (y) .

Nothing like drilling a hole right into a gas tank!  :laugh: :E: woops!

Even if this helps one other person, I'm glad to share it.  :B: I added a couple notes about lengths of wire and hose, and amount of wires and colors.

Me personally, now that it's done, it would have been my #1 mod to do when I first got the truck if I knew then what I know now. Keep that compressor SAFE and CLEAN, I should never have to replace it again  (y)

Great job.. It should last a lot longer...

I'm using that same spot to mount an auxiliary compressor for a 3 gal air tank I have, theres stuff in mine but not all the way back. I bent a piece of aluminum to the shape of the back of the compartment and will mount the compressor to it and then slide it back it place. It will keep the compressor from moving around. I will post a pic when I get back to that project..

Putting it in that section of the saddle bag is the best spot. It doesn't take up much space so you still have about 75% of that storage area to use. I never have it packed full of stuff anyway. It's tucked back safe and out of the way  (y)

Exactly, mine aren't full either. If you put anything back there you have to take everything out to get to it. I think I have a couple of blocks of wood on one side to put under the jack if needed, but in 12 years I've never used them..

Dryer has been installed back on the compressor since these pictures were taken. I had a air leak where the dryer o-ring meets the compressor head, but straightened that all out. I'm very happy with this setup.

Thank you so much for documenting your work!  :yourock:

I just traded my 07 white AV for a 13 Black Diamond in Fairway Green Metallic, and I want to move my compressor before the environment eats it alive, as it did with my 07.

You installed the Arnott compressor; I'm thinking that the OEM unit in mine can be moved in the same manner. Please advise if you have a suggestion for moving the OM unit.

Thanks again!

Thanks Goodwrench! Glad you like it.

The relocation of an Arnott or OEM compressor would be the same steps. PS, you don't need to cut that small section of factory air line. Go to the parts store and buy the GM air ride repair lines (MONROE AK29 Shock Absorber Air Hose Kit) and a quick connect butt splice. Cut the lengths of air line to meet up in the saddle bag for the push on butt connector.

You can really hear the compressor buzzing in the saddle bag without the rubber isolator mounts being used. Highly recommend making a bracket to hold the compressor with the original rubber isolators.

So far so good otherwise. I do have a slow air leak somewhere still that lets the bags get a little soft after a few days if the truck sits. I will check that out now that the weather is nice and I can drive my summer car.

System has been working flawlessly for the past few months after the dryer canister with pressure sensor was replaced. There is a new updated pressure sensor and harness adapter.

Here it is working right after I changed out the dryer/sensor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nth1Pv-jE38

blu_fuz said:
System has been working flawlessly for the past few months after the dryer canister with pressure sensor was replaced. There is a new updated pressure sensor and harness adapter.

Do you have a part # for the new pressure sensor and harness?
Gonna swap out my compressor soon and would like to do the update at the same time.
Thanks.

For the OP and anyone else looking to do this mod... MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS USE A GROMMET!!!!

You MUST use a grommet to pass the wires through any holes drilled in sheet metal. Even with the plastic loom you will eventually wear through to the wires without a grommet.

you SHOULD use a grommet when running through any solid material such as sheet metal or hard thin plastic. Over time otherwise the material you drilled through will act as a saw slowly cutting through any material it is rubbing against. Using a wire loom will greatly increase the time before this becomes a problem and making sure it is very tight in the hole can also slow the "sawing" process but nothing protects like a grommet against your wires being cut and or shorting against the sheet metal.

Otherwise great mod!

Another thing to be aware of... When you lengthen wires you may want to go larger if possible. If GM sized the wires to be "just the right size" and you lengthen them they may be under sized. Wires have a resistance to them and the longer the wire the more the resistance. You are likely more than safe with this mod because I can't imagine it makes a difference for such a short run. It is more of a problem with things like fuel pumps or lighting.  But it is a good thing to be wary of.

Rodney

DouglasOak said:
Do you have a part # for the new pressure sensor and harness?
Gonna swap out my compressor soon and would like to do the update at the same time.
Thanks.

Looks like there are some on epay for $25 less than I paid in April.

That is the complete new dryer canister, with new filter beads, and new pressure sensor and harness adapter.

blu_fuz said:
Looks like there are some on epay for $25 less than I paid in April.

That is the complete new dryer canister, with new filter beads, and new pressure sensor and harness adapter.

Thanks sooooo much, I'm gonna order one right now. ($69.24 shipped)
(hope it arrives before I come back from vacation, so I can bring it back to Canada duty free!)

Been thinking about doing this, but then I thought about how on my passengers side, I use that saddle bag as an ice chest, and on the other I keep all my tow straps and jumper cables and such. I would do it for a set of air compressors for train horns placed under the bed in the spare tire location and just make the drain holes on that side a little bigger to run the lines through and drill another hole or two to be able to get air into that saddle bag

Great write up and great mod. I'm doing this now. Does anybody have any pics or ideas as to how to mount the compressor in the saddle bag  to minimize vibration and rattle? Please and thank you for any help in advance.

There really isn't much more space to properly get in there and mount the compressor. Mine is still sitting in there. I will eventually put a open cell foam under it just to keep the noise down a little when it kicks on.

After reading through, I'm left a little bit confused as to what parts need to be replaced.  Is it just the compressor?  What about the dryer?  What is the sensor?

Mine still work, but the compressor is sounding funny.  I'd prefer to get an OEM replacement and any necessary supporting parts all in one shot.  Got part numbers?

The only extra parts you will need to re-locate the compressor is the Monroe air line kit and wires for extending the harness. My system had a few other faults going on at the same time I relocated the compressor, so the how-to is still the same I just had to do other work for my system.

Start of problem: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,131766.msg2057980.html#msg2057980

I had a lot of my troubleshooting posts in that thread but that link is the start of it. I don't have part numbers.

Dealer checked it:
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,131766.msg2077665.html#msg2077665

Replacement dryer with the very important pressure sensor update for my issues. Part number 22964558:
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,131766.msg2078201.html#msg2078201

Thanks for the links.

My plan is likely to replace the entire compressor assembly AND relocate it.  From what I've found, the entire kit is called GM Part #15254590 or #22941806.

$_57.JPG

I'm not in a rush, but I think I'll pick one of those kits up.  I probably don't need everything new, but when I take the time to do a fix like this, I prefer having all new parts.  My old parts then sit in a nice spare parts bin if anything ever fails again.

Back