• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

400,000 Mile Club

pitboss

I've been a lurker here for several years, and have gained a lot of good information from the members.  However, I never joined the forum until today. 

This morning I took a picture of the odometer in my 2002 Avalanche to send to a friend, and I remembered back when there was a 100,000 mile and a 200,000 mile club here.  So, I thought I'd share my current odometer reading with you guys -- 415,383 miles.

The engine has been almost perfect over the years.  I've replaced the alternator, water pump and thermostat, and both knock sensors.  Changed the plugs at 150,000, and again at about 375,000.  I had to have the cats replaced around 120,000.  That's it, other than changing the oil when needed along with doing a throttle body cleaning a couple of times.  GM got it right when they designed and built the 5.3 Vortec.

I lost a rear end at about 135,000, but it was probably my fault as it went in the water launching my boat many times.  The transmission was rebuilt last year, but I had well over 350,000 when it finally failed.  I've replaced the shocks a few times, but like tires, I consider them to be a wear item.

I've owned several trucks and Suburbans over the years, but this 2002 Chevy Avalanche is the finest vehicle I've ever owned.

I'm not on the road every day any more, but the Avalanche is still my daily driver, and will continue to be for a while.  I'm hoping to make it to the 500,000 mile club someday.  (y)

Since I'm a brand new member, I understand I can't post pictures until I get some more posts, but as soon as I can I'll post a pic of the truck and the odometer.

Holy smokes, that's impressive!  I can't wait until you can post some pictures. :welcome:

That's double what I have on mine.. Great job keeping your AV going.. Post a few more times and take a pic of your odometer..

I forgot one major repair.  I had the right front hub go bad at about 300k (it's a Z71).  The left front is about to be on my list as I've started to notice some bearing noise over there.  I may try that one myself since I have a backup (Jeep Wrangler).

WOW...welcome to the club!
I hope to make it into the 400k club someday!....I have awhile to go, though (currently at 146k).

Here is a Photobucket link that should work for my odometer pic (I think) --

http://s994.photobucket.com/user/pitboss6/media/Avalanche400K_zps06a23824.jpg.html

That is a lot of BUTT time in the seat.

What are your engine hours?
with key off press in the trip rest thingy... and hold...
IT cycles thru miles then to hours...

one more question...

DINO or Synthetic or ?? for engine oil?
DId you do the Oil life monitor or every so many miles?

AvyOwner23 said:
Here's your picture! That's awesome bud, keep truckin

Thanks, AvyOwner23!

Here is a link to a pic I took last October after I cleaned her up -- http://s994.photobucket.com/user/pitboss6/media/AvalancheOct_13_zps1843a91a.jpg.html

ygmn,

Sometimes my odometer / gear shift light works, sometimes it won't.  This morning when I tried the trip reset I had a blank display.  I'll pull the engine hours as soon as I can and post them.  Thanks for the tip, I'm interested to find out how much I've aged while sitting in that seat. (I think it was a post on this forum where I learned the intermittent display was caused by a cold solder joint on the instrument panel board.  It's on my list to pull the board and fix it, but pretty far down.  :D )

As for as oil goes, I run Pennzoil 5-30 dino oil.  I change it when the message light tells me to, never before, and sometimes I've gone over for some miles due to my former busy schedule.  When I replaced the knock sensors, I went ahead and pulled the valve covers and replaced the gaskets and grommets since both had started leaking oil.  The upper engine (rockers arms, valve springs, etc.) looked more like a 40K engine than a 400K.  I attribute this more to the fact that the majority of these miles were racked up on the highway than the brand of oil, but I do like Pennzoil and run it in all our vehicles.

pitboss said:
As for as oil goes, I run Pennzoil 5-30 dino oil.  I change it when the message light tells me to, never before, and sometimes I've gone over for some miles due to my former busy schedule.  When I replaced the knock sensors, I went ahead and pulled the valve covers and replaced the gaskets and grommets since both had started leaking oil.  The upper engine (rockers arms, valve springs, etc.) looked more like a 40K engine than a 400K.  I attribute this more to the fact that the majority of these miles were racked up on the highway than the brand of oil, but I do like Pennzoil and run it in all our vehicles.

Another data point for going by the oil life monitor vice changing at shorter intervals.  (y)

enoniam said:
Another data point for going by the oil life monitor vice changing at shorter intervals.   (y)

My thoughts exactly.

But I am sure there will be some posts further down that will beg to differ.

Wait for it, wait for it .....

(y)

I sure hope this thread does not turn into an oil change / oil brand argument.  Three arguments that are never won by anybody - politics, religion, and oil.  :D

I think I am most impressed with the longevity of the transmission.

I seldom get 100,000 to 150,000 miles out of one and I certainly do not abuse them.

You must be living right.

Good job!

400K is just amazing.  Congrats and keep on truckin'  :B:

(I'll be happy if mine makes it to 200K without major problems)

THanks for info...

Back