• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Best LED for DRL? Or no such thing?

MADpa2006

Converting most of the lighting on my 2006 WBH to LED and CCFL halo projectors.  A few I have yet to complete - the backup lamps, lights in the doors and the DRLs.

DRLs seem troublesome after searching and reading through all the posts.  I haven't come across anyone yet who got some nice bright SMD ones that they've indicated have lasted for any significant amount of time.

I'd like to find some; superleds indicates most 3157(4114) are not for GM DRLs - I suppose there is some type of voltage issue which may be causing everyone's to burn out after relative short amounts of time.

Anyone have a good solution for this lamp to LED conversion?

I'll also take any suggestions on the LEDs for the door light and nice projector SMDs that fit the backup housings

:help:

I've been running these DRLs since they first released them back in July some time.
They are now rated for upwards of 14.6v and for the first time ever marked as "OK for DRL application"
8 Months later there has been no burnt or flickering emitters.  I'm also running their amber switchbacks with zero issues.
I also have these in my backup lights and use their V3 tritons for my tail/turn.  I HIGHLY reccomend them.
I've been doing LED upgrades to my truck ever since i've had it and these are by far the best LEDs i've ever run.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/reverse-back-up/3156-3157-led/6k-white-3157-21-led-parking-backup-light-bulbs-4057-1-pair.html

Samsquanch said:
I've been running these DRLs since they first released them back in July some time.
They are now rated for upwards of 14.6v and for the first time ever marked as "OK for DRL application"
8 Months later there has been no burnt or flickering emitters.  I'm also running their amber switchbacks with zero issues.
I also have these in my backup lights and use their V3 tritons for my tail/turn.  I HIGHLY reccomend them.
I've been doing LED upgrades to my truck ever since i've had it and these are by far the best LEDs i've ever run.

http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/reverse-back-up/3156-3157-led/6k-white-3157-21-led-parking-backup-light-bulbs-4057-1-pair.html

Sounds like a solid recommendation - (y)

Willing to give them a shot at $50/pair.  Order in!  I did order some other Cree projectors off of ebay for the reverse lights - less than half the cost and no need for super brightness back there - plus I put in a backup camera license plate holder and don;t want to wash the camera out!

Down to:

• License plate lights (have some 194 LEDs, just need to figure out how to get to those darn lights to swap)
  • Door panel lights
  • Outside mirror/puddle lights

Oh yeah, have to figure out what bulb is in my fogs and put some high end silverstars or something in there. 

appreciate the link and info!! (y) (y)

ive been bit hard with mod bug again lately..BUT these are added to my list. if not for high cost, id prolly order now..$140 for the switchback and no hyper flash! sounds great, except price right now..

$200 for the DRLs and front turns not in the budget right now :mad:

Since my truck is still in the shop I can't take any recent pictures or video of them, but take my word for it... they are BRIGHT... might be brighter than the stock halogens possibly.

Here is a video of my switchbacks in action though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5Ft_Yx_mw&

quick question for Samsquanch ...... do we need the ck style bulbs for our tail lights or will regular ones work? ive been looking into changing over my bulbs and dont want to order the wrong ones...
thanks
Brent

CK is for certain import vehicles.  The regular bulbs are what you want! :B:

And a quick update.  I'm still running the same bulbs since I installed them in the summer of 2013.  Since then V-Leds has made their bulbs even brighter and more reliable than ever before.
They now have a High-vis amber bulb out now for those who want to put in a set of sweet ambers in their DRLS.

Samsquanch said:
They now have a High-vis amber bulb out now for those who want to put in a set of sweet ambers in their DRLS.

You got a link for those sweet amber LEDs? lol

I'm thinking about getting a pair of these myself!  Looks like they might be more yellow rather than more amber unless the white balance of those pictures are off.
http://www.vleds.com/3157-hva.html

I just put on a set of these on my 05 Cladded.
are they gonna burn up? the back saids guaranteed voltage range 10.5v-15.8v. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331182925369?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

try dhgate.com
good prices
you just have to narrow your search for quanties ,color,and fitment

I don't know about best, but I did get the ZEVO 4114s from Autozone (made by sylvania).  I was more worried about all the problems I was having with the other ones burning out one at a time.  The only problem that I've found is that the radio doesn't get very good reception when the DRL are on now.  Anybody have any suggestions?

I want these Switchbacks so bad for my front signal/parking and the new amber LED for the DRL!!

the amber LED in stock, BUT went to order the switchback and its out of stock with no ETA :eek: :mad:

my AVY is dying for some mods. also, love the new U bar style projectors for our trucks..

well. bit the bullet today and made the order. V LED said they are expecting the Triton switchbacks to be in stock in 4-5 weeks.

so i ordered a set of them for the Avy. to keep the amber/white contrast, I ordered their HI VIS Amber LED bulbs for the trucks DRLs. these particular bulbs are now listed OK for DRL use (y)

Been replacing my lights with LEDs a bit at a time. Interior & reverse lights are done. Today I did the DRLs. I've had the 3157 ambers in place for several years. I pulled the old bulbs today & the amber material was literally flaking off the bulb. They still worked but were a bit dim & pretty white.

These are the new bulbs. VERY bright & VERY amber!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CK1CZY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The issue with the DRL lighting is two fold...

The DRL's run at slightly higher voltage. When I measured with my VOM while the regular lighting was 12 volts with key off the DRLs were 14volt.

DRL's use the HIGH side of the bulb and don't use the low side at all.

As I understand it the higher voltage isn't necessarily a problem but the fact the HIGH is on all the time is. Maybe an Amber/White type switchback setup or something else might work better Don't know.

The issue with MOST LED's is that they are designed to only have the LOW filament on all the time and the HIGH filament is only on to blink.
So they get overly hot and burn out fast if used as DRL where the HIGH filament is kept on all the time.

Been keeping an eye open for them though. Would love to pick up a set of ambers that will work and not burn out.

AirJunky said:
Been replacing my lights with LEDs a bit at a time. Interior & reverse lights are done. Today I did the DRLs. I've had the 3157 ambers in place for several years. I pulled the old bulbs today & the amber material was literally flaking off the bulb. They still worked but were a bit dim & pretty white.

These are the new bulbs. VERY bright & VERY amber!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CK1CZY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have had the flaking amber material happen with several sets of bulbs I have bought over the years.

Once upon a time, I bought some bulbs for the 02 that were true ambers with amber tinted glass instead of being a clear bulb that is "coated" with amber.. I cannot remember what brand it was that I bought, but I never had an issue with flaking and they were profoundly more amber than the previous bulbs.

I also tried LED's once, but the ones I bought were cheap and I tossed them after about a week.. They looked almost green and were pretty dim. Granted that was circa 2009ish and they have came a long way since then.

Back