• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

GM adds four models to recall, doubles deaths to 13

2002blackedout2500

GM adds four models to recall, doubles deaths to 13. Here's the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/02/25/gm-ignition-recall/5813539/

Vehicles recalled:

1393365404007-ia06-saturn-Ion-02.jpg

1393365404008-XXX-B0-2006-PONTIAC-SOLSTICE-05.jpg

1393365404009-XXX-test-drive-HR003.jpg

1393365404001-B03-V2-Saturn-Sky-19.jpg

i noticed that... i have been keeping an eye on these recalls and what they affect because i have several friends who drive 07-09 cobalts/pontiacs...  (n)

I'm no mathematician, but the end result of a number being doubled would be an even number...unless you started with a partial number.  So, how do you have 6.5 deaths?  I didn't read the article, as all the ads surrounding it sent me into an ADD attack, but the math just bugs me.

Woah! How bizarre is this? 

So - if someone has a heavy key ring, goes off-roading (or drives in Los Angeles) then the key may *possibly* be moved to off and that may *possibly* disable the air bag.

I think I'm buying a lottery ticket.

PerfectReign said:
Woah! How bizarre is this? 

So - if someone has a heavy key ring, goes off-roading (or drives in Los Angeles) then the key may *possibly* be moved to off and that may *possibly* disable the air bag.

I think I'm buying a lottery ticket.
I kinda see all of these as "chick cars" and last time i saw a girls set of keys... i can see this becoming likely  :laugh:

I have a problem with reports claiming GM was aware of the problem more than ten years. The first incident may have been reported over ten years ago but once or twice is not a red flag.

Also the part about women drivers with heavy key chains, how many were on the cellphone and have never driven a car with no power steering? Auto insurance rates are unreasonable doe to bad drivers rather than bad cars. Nothing against women drivers either, my wife is a safe driver with huge key chain but no cellphone.

But itonly happened 13 times. Would you recall a few million cars over 13 people? F that!! The media has the blow way out of proportion. As of right now, we have 7 cobalts and 3 HHRs sitting at work, because the owners are terrified to drive them.....

What GM should have done is put in the manual "DO NOT Hang Crap from your key chain, may cause the ignition to turn off unexpectedly".

They would have been covered... And then redesign the ignition... My wife has a ton on hers also, but the new Cadi has push button start/stop.

I have colleague who had this issue in his G5 several years ago. GM laughed at him. Now look who's laughing.

As much as this sucks its a good lesson for all automakers.

Quite a day for GM hopefully it's enough for the public to gain confidence again.

Press Release 6/5/14

The local news talk is the 15 ex employees that knew of the problem and said nothing about it maybe personally liable for individual lawsuits.

MS03 2500 said:
The local news talk is the 15 ex employees that knew of the problem and said nothing about it maybe personally liable for individual lawsuits.

Unless they were acting outside the scope of their employment, I would be surprised if they have personal liability but it is likely they will be sued to find out. The legal doctrine is called Respondeat Superior. In any event their pockets are not deep enough to get anything out of them. Especially if they are now unemployed.

Here is a link from a local news outlet here in Winnipeg / Canada, and it states as of August 24, 2015 there has been 124 "death claims ACCEPTED by General Motors as related to the ignition switch fault" and 275 hurt.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/gm-s-final-ignition-switch-tally-is-124-dead-275-hurt-1.3202211

And GM had known about this issue for a few years when the death relating to this article occurred but Transport Canada at that time had REFUSED to issue a safety recall stating that it was cars that were distributed in the USA only that were affected when they knew damn well that the Pontiac at that time anyway, was a Canadian distributed car.

Back