• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New shocks needed

edh19

I have an 06 2500 and I think I need new shocks . I have originals on . I tow 9000 lbs once a year and looking for a really good shock . I don't want to sacrifice the smooth ride but want to stiffen up the side by side motion. It sways when trucks pass me . Any ideas

Bilstein 5100 seems to be the way to go, but there's a lot of options depending on if you want to be able to adjust the shocks (and subsequently depending on how much you want to spend)

I'm a fan of the Bilstein 5100 myself. It offers a nice ride when the truck is empty and good control when you have a butt load of stuff in the bed or towing a heavy long trailer.

Forgot to add you can get them at www.eshocks.com for 280.00 for all 4. That was the cheapest place I found.

I was looking on eshocks, but it seems only the 4600 series is showing up.  Do they offer the 5100's as well ?  Is the Bilstein (24-186735) the correct part number for Front shocks for 2500 ?

Yes the 24-186735 is correct for a 0-2.5 lift 2500, so if you decide to level it you can still use them without a extension

When I look on www.eshocks.com and search only the 4600's are coming up, I got that part number I asked about from Amazon.com

Rakshir use Suburban 2500 they have the same suspension. You are going to find out on many sites will not list 2500 AVs since there not that many of them made.

Bilstein 5100s work great on a 2500

MS03 2500 said:
Bilstein 5100s work great on a 2500

(y)
I agree, Bilstein's are one of the best, I put the them on my 2500 at around 42,000 when I lifted it and it now has 226,500 give or take a mile and they are still working great..

I was happy with my KYB monomax up front but put them on the back this summer and less impressed. 30 foot TT now squats my rig so bad i can't use the load leveling bars without putting huge strain on hitch receiver due to the angle and with any load of significance in the bed it squats horribly. Will switch to Billsteins this winter and see how things go.

What hitch do you have jabrd and how many inches did you raise the front.

Sorry MS been forever since i have been back on.....i have it cranked level in the front probably about 1-1.5 inches, upgraded the hitch when i bought the truck to a Curt model can't remember which one

May trade out the KYB's for the Bilsteins.....i just hate how it squats with any significant load....when i hook up the TT the truck looks ridiculously low in back.....i'll post a pic in a new post since i  :jacked: this one anyways >:D

The Bilsteins 5100 sounds like a good idea.

Do yourself a favor add the steering damper if you have not yet.

Changing the shocks will not change the ride height when loaded, the best way to fix that is with Firestone air bags.

There are threads on them in here. PN 2253 for a 2500 AV..

i would beg to differ about ride height with load....or there's something wrong with my present shocks. There is no doubt i have a low rider now with a full load and did NOT prior to changing out to the KYB's. Hell, if i had the stockers i would put them back on. Would love bags but who wants to spend that kinda money.

Have a part number/manufacturer on the steering damper MS? 

Nevermind MS i found the previous thread about them.....not sure why i haven't done that one yet but.....

Yes the rancho was garbage and worn out quickly

Does the Bilstein come with all necessary hardware/bolts or do i need the 2.5" x .5 inch grade 5 to attach it? Looking at this one on EBay....Pic doesnt show a bolt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221565358276?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No it does not come with one, you have to buy it.

Back