• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to fix a floppy shift lever

Apocalanche

First of all this is for an automatic transmission with the shift lever on the column (for anyone who reads this that does not have an Avy).

The shift lever has 2 planes of operation:
Vertical: Up and down is the place that it moves when selecting gears (Park, Reverse, etc.).
Horizontal: Forward and backward - this is sort of a safety thing so that you have to pull the shift lever backwards in order to change gears.

My vertical plane was nice and firm - it uses a plastic (ball) bushing. If you're in Park and can move the lever up and down (excessively), you need a new Shift Lever Bushing.
My problem was the horizontal plane - which uses a metal spring to keep the lever forced to the front of the truck (hence having to pull backwards to shift out of park). Once I shifted to park, I would have to manually push the lever forward or I could not extract my key. I called all over the place for a "shift lever [return] spring" and everyone kept trying to sell me the plastic bushing. Aggravating! Dealer said they could not get just the spring - but I could order a $400 kit that should have the spring. WTF!?! He said he had a spring for an older GM (Part # 7812853). I popped down there and picked it up for $8. It was a little long, but the correct diameter and about the same spring resistance. I took some cutters and snipped it to be about ? of an inch long. It was a little challenging to get it into the hole (OE would be as well), but it's doable.

Use GM Spring Part # 7812853.
Tilt wheel to lowest possible position. Pop the main dash trim. Remove top cover to steering wheel column. You do not need to remove any bolts or screws from inside the column.
Curved needle nose pliers work great! Pull the old spring (probably broken in 2 or more pieces) out. Trim the new one down to ? of an inch. Getting the new spring back into place I used the curved needle nose and assisted it with a smallish flat blade screwdriver.

All in all - about a 5 minute job.

Good to know, going to have to change the spring out in mine.

Yay me, resurrecting an old thread.

Just finished this, the part number listed above was just like apocolanche said, just had to be cut down to about 3/4 inch.  May have taken a little longer than 5 minutes, probably closer to 10.

I found it to be a little easier to get the spring with the shifter in neutral, a little better angle of attack.  Used a small flat blade and regular flat blade screw driver to maneuver the spring into place.

Works fine now.

Used the modified spring and repaired the floppy shifter in my 2004, Thanks.....

However I managed to break the park indicator switch.  More specifically the little black part that sticks out and pushes against the shift lever when it is in the park position.

Does anyone know if I can get this switch from the dealer?  I have not been able to find the part number or an actual image of the switch anywhere online.

Any help or info would be appreciated.    I have pics but can't seem to get them to attach to the post.  Any help in that area?  Its been quite some time since I have posted LOL

Ross

4/8 UPDATED

I found the correct part number for the park indicator switch 23190137 and was able to order it on Amazon for $21.46.  I stopped by my local dealer and would have purchased the part from them if they were close to the price but they wanted $38 for the same part.  They were competitive for a couple of oil filters and drain plug gaskets tho.  They also told me that the Avalanche was coming back in 2018 .... We will see.

And i read the TOS and realixed why I couldn't post pics....I rarely post at all....I do use the forum for info and tech specs.

Good information here. My 2003 has developed the problem of not being able to turn the system clear and remove the key, I can shut down the engine but still have juice to display, I push shift lever forward toward the dash and turn off and remove key. Thanks

Back