• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bang for the Buck Mod

Av In Ak

Just got a new 03. Installed a K&N kit Yesterday. Don't notice the 9Hp Gain, but it does sound a little bossier with increasde resonance and air noise. What should I do next. I'm looking at a new muffler, not necessarily an exhaust system, unless it will really provide some low end grunt. Which programmer will give the best Bang for the buck. I feel that it has plenty of Hp, but needs to stay in gear a little longer without mashing the throttle. I would also like to see it kick into passing gear when I mash the throttle on the highway. I came off of a 97 powerstroke and am kinda used to torque and not Hp. I'm getting used to it but really am looking for some off the start gains. Does this truck posess the capability to cut loose from the pavement without going to some sort of supercharger?
Thanx :D

Does this truck posess the capability to cut loose from the pavement without going to some sort of supercharger?

Hi Av,

Search "torque management", you find a lot of details on "getting off the line"

kw

Av In Ak said:
Just got a new 03. Installed a K&N kit Yesterday. Don't notice the 9Hp Gain, but it does sound a little bossier with increasde resonance and air noise. What should I do next. I'm looking at a new muffler, not necessarily an exhaust system, unless it will really provide some low end grunt. Which programmer will give the best Bang for the buck. I feel that it has plenty of Hp, but needs to stay in gear a little longer without mashing the throttle. I would also like to see it kick into passing gear when I mash the throttle on the highway. I came off of a 97 powerstroke and am kinda used to torque and not Hp. I'm getting used to it but really am looking for some off the start gains. Does this truck posess the capability to cut loose from the pavement without going to some sort of supercharger?
Thanx :D

Comparing an avalanche's off the line torque to a Power Stroke is a little unfair ... (y)

The only way you will get near that would be with the 8.1 Avalanche and a Twin-Screw supercharger ... (Off the line that is; bottom end grunt) ...

Other than that, I think you can do some nice mods to enhance the gasser's performance... Understand; 2 different animals entirely ... I'm sure you understand that fully though ...

Click in this section on "view all" ... And read up ... Some good info in here !

11H

I just put twin tailpipes on my 03. Its interesting though, although the muffler looks like a single in dual out design,
it's not. Single in, single out....GM just put a generic end cap on the muffler to save money I guess. So what I did was take a plasma cutter and
cut a hole out in the other outlet. Miged the dual tailpipes on and ran them out the back with tips. I was very pleased with the outcome. Very quiet
in idle and cruzing modes, but get on her and hear that low loud growl. Iwas a little concerned with runnin them out the back because i was told
the fumes would come into the cab with the window out....proved wrong. Drove 1.5 hour to a GTG with the covers off, window out, and midgate down.
not a hint of exhaust. Also, I have not noticed any loss in low end torque or hp.

AV42Medics

I thought you were complaining about all the dust coming into your AV as you had the window out, midgate down and cargo covers off!!!! ;D

Oh, yah!!!! The dual pipes sounded GREAT!! :love:

Here's how I'd rate my performance Mods in order of bang for buck:

1) Addco End Link mod (big improvement in handling)

2) MSD Wires (folks now like others but truck idles better, improved low end responsiveness)

3) Pro Cold Intake (improved performance, sorry no dyno results other than seat of pants type)

4) HPIII (biggest performance improvement)

5) JBA Catback (included magnaflow muffler) dual in single out.

YMMV, :B:

Joe

Av in AK. If you want a sample of what a 40 series flowmaster, single in dual out sounds like on the 5.3, send me a PM with you email and I can send you a few small video clips.

Back