• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Do repair shops have responsibility for misdiagnosis?

lerd65

So here's a general question for everyone.  Do you think a shop that you take your truck to regularly, has a responsibility to you if they misdiagnosis a problem you have with your truck?  e.g  You take your truck in to a shop for a particular problem and they say it gonna cost $500 or whatever and then after you get the truck back you find out that wasn't the problem at all and it cost you only $100. Does the shop owe you any kind of refund, weather parts or labor?

If you took it somewhere else and paid them for fixing the problem without first going back to the original shop and giving them a chance to correct it, it'll be a much harder case to prove.
They can still argue that the part they fixed was part of the problem and who's to say it is not unless it is blatantly obvious like say they replaced a part in the rear end of you truck and the problem was found in the front end and so far away from the work they originally did .
Even then they can still claim the 2 places were connected.

Case in point, I just had starter issues. The place I took my truck to replace the starter put in a new starter.
The new starter made a lot of noise, pissed me off and generally caused me to have a deep distrust of the quality of work they do.
After numerous weeks of them diagnosing everything else including my ignition, remote start etc. I got fed up and took it to GM.
GM said it was indeed the starter although they also had to fix other parts which got messed up due to the bad starter install.

Instead of just having GM fix it at even more money for me, I decided with the advise of others on the forums to take it back to them with the paperwork from the dealer stating the problem was the starter.
At this point the first shop replaced the starter and reimbursed me for the cost of the work GM did as well as their diagnostics fees.

That being said every situation is unique and can be handled differently depending on the circumstances.

Yea, if it's a reputable shop the most you should have to pay for is the new part. If they missdiagnosed it shouldn't have to pay the whole cost in most cases. Sometimes problems can be related or if it's an intermittent problem can make it hard to diagnose.

I think you are referring to your recent AC problems. In your case yes you should seek some sort of refund. It least a parts refund for all the parts they threw at it. This is one of the problems with local repair shop and sometimes dealer instead of testing stuff that throw parts at it.

Read fine print on bottom and probably back of the work order you signed.

Yes MS03 2500 my latest fan problems did spur this question on.  The original shop did give me a partial refund btw.  I also wanted input generally on what others thought, experiences on the subject.  Thanks for all the great input everybody.

OK, my $.02. I had ran independent repair shops for over 25 years. The best of all these good responses, in my opinion, was from Dluvr22. If problem is intermittent and does not malfunction in front of the tech then can be very hard to diagnose properly. If is broke when comes in and stays broke till diagnosed, then the better, non parts changers, techs love that and will find the problem especially if they refer to TSB's and quality test equipment and their knowledge.

In any case I always recommend that you give the original shop a second chance and see how they approach your concern and how well they take care of you. Any good shop knows that most of their bread and butter for work is word of mouth. If you have a bad experience you will tell at least 10 people and if you have a good experience then you will hopefully tell at least 1-2 people. All good shops know this. If they want to keep the doors open then they take care of the customer, even if it means being up front with their customer and admitting a mistake and maybe even taking a loss on the end result. I know of only one person ever in history that was perfect. Guarantee you it was not me but I always learned from my mistakes.

Either way, I am glad you got it fixed. Now go have fun and try not to break anything.  :wave:   

Back