• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

brake upgrade.. what the best economical way.

ckaminski74

been searching for info and i want to upgrade the front brakes

what would be the best way to go....

ty for your help.

economical and upgrade really are difficult to do, what's your budget.

i saw some 14" rotors with brackets to use same calipers.  also was prob gonna go for the SS lines. 

if i have to buy parts put em aside and get them as i go I dont have a problem as the current brakes will last me.

the wife eats brakes when she drives....

I'm about to upgrade the front to GMT900 brakes. They're 13" I believe and the calipers are a little bigger. I got some used calipers o ebay for like $15 a while back. And I just picked up a Powerstop pad and rotor kit from 4wheelparts for the newer truck. I got the driver side done and it all bolted like stock. Fills my 17" wheel completely.
Taking the Jeep to the beach tomorrow, so I'll finish the other side Sunday.

ki-speed said:
Would this conversion work on a 2003 AV Z66?
I guess it would depend on size of rims you have, older threads have said owners of first generation AVs with 16 inch rims had trouble fitting second generation brakes but if you have 17inch rims or larger you won't have a problem doing the upgrade.

Bolts right on for pre 2007. But as mentioned you need 17" rims at a minimum. I have done it and there is very little room between caliper and rotor. 16" will not work so I ditched my spare for a 17" one.

Rodney

TheSpartanKnight said:
Pretty sure he has an '07... which is already a GMT900. :beating:

O7 with 20's lost of room if offset and back space is good. 

I wish I had seen that links read before ordering OE sized, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads today. Oh well, I didn't have to buy calipers.

MR_DIY said:
I wish I had seen that links read before ordering OE sized, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads today. Oh well, I didn't have to buy calipers.

Now the feeling did exact same thing right after I purchased my AVY. 

MR_DIY said:

What rig do you have? GMT800 or 900?

Back