• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Performance Transmission Shop in Detroit Area???

mrjay

PM 2013
:help:

A thousand pardons if I've breached any forum etiquette by posting this here but I wanted to get the attention of the Michigander's.

Looking for any recommendations for a Detroit area performance transmission shop: honest, fair pricing and that can build me a rugged, reliable transmission ala Monster, Level 10, etc.

My "newer" GM Dealership bought and installed transmission just trashed  :( (something about blowing the reverse support and cracking the case) which was a replacement for the one I blew out somewhere in Missouri only 2 years and 35k miles ago.  Local Detroit area dealership won't honor the warranty which was supposed to be 3 years/100K miles because I have a "modified" engine.  Escalation to GM Customer Service didn't help.  :E:

Technically yes, modified: Banks CAI, Pacesetter long tube headers with Corsa exhaust, Dart Stage 1 engine heads and a Nelson tune.

I didn't think this would be THAT much power overload but research here indicates this "may" have been more than the paltry 4L60E could handle.

So looks like the next transmission is on me and further research here indicates the target is a built 4L60E or 4L65E with heavy duty components.  No plans near term for any forced air mods, main objective is RELIABILITY!!! (and at least make it another 100K miles before the next one)

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mr.Jay

There is ONE trans shop I use.

Randy Carron owns it, RC Trans & Gear and has been around forever.  In Royal Oak off 14 mile.

He did the trans in my old 02 Avalanche last year [and is an AV owner himself], worked on my 71 LeMans and my brothers old Typhoon.

www.rctransandgear.com

About as honest as they get.

Daniel

Thanks for the recommendation.

I ended up going to Fraley's in Pontiac.  Got the recommendation from a friend of mine who used to work with him before he opened his own shop.  I got a good feeling when I talked to him and from looking at all the full bays with cars lined up for repair including some hot rods.

My main criteria was to get a performance build that would hold up to the mods I put on my truck.  My speed shop and I estimated I'm putting a bit over 400 ft lbs of torque.  A bit much for a stock (my second one) 4L60 which is only speced for 360 ft lbs.  Tim Fraley definitely knows his stuff about how to build a performance tranny and used all the "good stuff".

Haven't had a chance to really romp on it but first impressions are:
1. More power.  Not sure where that came from but maybe more efficiency in using upgraded parts.
2. Nice snappy shifts but only when I want them (pedal down).  Otherwise if I take it easy on the gas it behaves very civilly.
3. Better gas mileage  Again, probably from more efficiency.

Gotta wait till the TruTrac get installed before really testing the tranny out. Found out while it was at Fraley's that the G-80 is not working (not locking up when it should) so that makes me really suspicious.  Needed a reason to upgrade the rear end anyway.

Dan I never told you what I ended up doing.

Looks like my truck needed all of the trans related stuff redone.  (220,000 miles..)

The transfer case was rebuilt. (New pump and couple other things)

The rear end case was shot but going back to get a new one in the fall. They just used what was there instead of charging me $400 more on the spot. I told him I would be back in September to have it redone and he told me he would only charge me on the case.

They did the transmission. "Master rebuild kit".

$3000 for all with lifetime warranty.

(Course since I am in GR a coworker pointed out it might be hard to get the truck there with a busted trans if that happens..)

The front diff needs to be rebuilt yet and think there is a bad axle. Going to have them do this when they redo the rear end with new housing in the fall.

The transmission seems to still shift late so I am not sure if they need to do more. But will address in the fall.

All in all they seemed to know what they were doing... And with lifetime warranty was worth the chance.

For comparison, I paid almost $2000 locally for a 4l60e trans rebuild for my caprice that lasted 13,000 miles... Warranty was for 12,000  miles...

Rodney

Was that at RC?

A friend paid out the rear to a shop just for a TC job.  I tried to tell him to talk to Randy at RC.  He paid a ton...jus to R&R a TC.

You got some great pricing!

I wish the owners of this Grand Prix I bought went there to RC.  Trans was rebuilt in 20k again, just before I got it.

Pricing at Fraley's was very good:

$1,750 for removal, rebuild (performance build) and install.
$200 for the transfer case: remove, install the pump fix-it-thing-that causes-the holes, plug up the hole with JB weld from the inside, and install.

12 month, 12K mile warranty.

mrjay said:
Pricing at Fraley's was very good:

$1,750 for removal, rebuild (performance build) and install.
$200 for the transfer case: remove, install the pump fix-it-thing-that causes-the holes, plug up the hole with JB weld from the inside, and install.

12 month, 12K mile warranty.
That sounds like a geat price!

RC gives a lifetime warranty on their work... Very similar in pricing.

I had an issue with the rear end and they fixed it. I think I might still have an issue but I have to drive out to Detroit to have them fix it. The old case was toast but they reused it as I mentioned and when they swapped the cases one of the pinion bearings went out within 6 months. I am having noise when I turn to the left so I am guessing one of the other bearings are going bad too. They should fix it with no issues but don't have time for the 3 hour 1 way drive right now.

If you are IN Detroit you are not going to get a better deal...

I am in GR so it is a pain if there are issues to bring it out and have them deal with it. Since my current issue is relatively minor I haven't worried about it yet much. Not sure if I want to spend the $50 in gas and a day to bring it out there and have RC fix it or just have this fixed locally and loose my warranty on the rear end. Ive put another 30,000 miles on the truck since they did the original work on it.

Back