• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Question for all the certified alarm gurus and/or electrical engineers here

Dluvr22

PM 2014
PM 2013
Guys
I have been working real hard on this project to add RFID technology and and push button start to get completely keyless entry and control of my 02 Avalanche like newer vehicles have today.
The difference in my case is that I am contemplating adding embedding the RFID tag into my hand so I will not need the keys to get in and drive off at all. In addition I want to integrate this seamlessly into my aftermarket alarm system.

My dilemma

The factory alarm has 1 disarm wire which can be sent a negative pulse to disarm the truck by an aftermarket alarm and in this case by my RFID module.
The problem I am having at the moment is that my factory alarm, The Viper 790XV, will still not disarm which renders the system completey useless without the viper keyfob to disarm.
I have managed to get my RFID module to disarm the truck and unlock the doors but the Viper alrm remains armed and will trigger when the doors are open.

What I am trying to figure out is this.
Is there a way to remotely disarm the viper alarm without the key-fob?
The only thing that comes to mind is by opening the doors, turning the ignition to on and pressing the valet switch a set number of times in the 5 second window it allows.
This is not really an acceptable situation for my plans so I have been wracking my brains for the whole week but cannot seem to get any closer to an answer of how to accomplish it.

My thoughts right now is to try to build a circuit that will simulate the process of someone putting the key in the ignition and turning it ti the on position then pressing the velat switch the set number of times. I'm thinking of doing that by creating a circuit that will energize the IGN wires as if the key is turned in the ignition, then 1 to 2 seconds later send a pulse to simulate pressing the valet switch the 1 time I have mine set to to disarm the Viper alarm.
This circuit will have to do 3 things:

1. Send a +ve 12v to the appropriate ignition wire when it receives a signal from the RFID reader
2. wait 1 - 4 seconds
3. Complete the circuit to simulate the valet switched being pressed.

This circuit will need to incorporate a timer , and a couple of relays depending on how many IGN wires need to be energized to simulate the key in the on position.

Before I go trying to build such a circuit , Ihave to ask.
1.  Is it doable or am I wasting my time
2. Is there an easier way to do this?
By this I mean is there a single wire to the viper alarm that initiates a disarm that I am just not familiar with?
3. Or is there another method which I am forgetting to consider?

You are probably going to find it hard to do this unless you find someone else that already has done this on their alarm.

If you have the installer guide you may want to see if they talk about ways to do this as well.

Otherwise it would almost be simpler to wire in a keyfob into your truck and use that to disarm/arm your alarm.

Another option is to look for another alarm that will do all that you want without having to make some circuit to defeat it and just change your alarm to something more convenient.

You could get an alarm like compustar and use it. Compustar will let you use the factory remote to control the alarm. Plus has many other options. I have one in my truck now and will be "hacking it" to figure out the codes it uses to communicate with my truck so I can make a new alarm for my truck based off custom circuitry. I would assume in this setup if you disarm the factory alarm that it would send out a signal to your alarm so it would disable it. But the Compustar alarms have many other features as well.

I had mine installed by some buddies of mine and they gave me a copy of all of the installer stuff.

I'm not certified but some say I'm certifiable.

How able something like this

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/

MS03 2500 said:
I'm not certified but some say I'm certifiable.

How able something like this

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/

That is cool and easily upgradeable for me
In fact I even considered swapping out my whole system for that however the fact that you have to pay for the service yearly after paying for the alarm does not sit well with me.
I do still have the option to replace the whole alarm but when I think of all the features I've added to my existing one over the years, I balk at the task that would involve.
Remember you helped me with adding the heated seats circuitry, not to mention the fact that I've added things to all 5 aux inputs as well.

redheadedrod said:
You are probably going to find it hard to do this unless you find someone else that already has done this on their alarm.

If you have the installer guide you may want to see if they talk about ways to do this as well.

Otherwise it would almost be simpler to wire in a keyfob into your truck and use that to disarm/arm your alarm.

Another option is to look for another alarm that will do all that you want without having to make some circuit to defeat it and just change your alarm to something more convenient.

You could get an alarm like compustar and use it. Compustar will let you use the factory remote to control the alarm. Plus has many other options. I have one in my truck now and will be "hacking it" to figure out the codes it uses to communicate with my truck so I can make a new alarm for my truck based off custom circuitry. I would assume in this setup if you disarm the factory alarm that it would send out a signal to your alarm so it would disable it. But the Compustar alarms have many other features as well.

I had mine installed by some buddies of mine and they gave me a copy of all of the installer stuff.

I have the install guide and I've learned of some unique features like a wire that I can send a negative pulse to to start the truck as I unlock the door but nothing about a wire to disarm the unit. The keyfob idea is cool too and I did consider wiring up a circuitr to simulate the button press on a keyfob but the Viper alarm is notorius for running through batteries and that will bring its own problems if the battery were to die in the event I forgot to replace it.

I have looked at another alarm that will do what I want and that's my fallback plan if I cannot get past this limitation.

Realize that putting in a new alarm should be pretty simple since you already have everything done.

If you get a compustar alarm with the blade it has to be programmed by a compustar professional with a special programmer. You can order it with it already programmed for your vehicle and just swap out what you need. The Blade version will do many of your options directly and will disarm and arm depending on your vehicles status so I would think that it would allow you to disable your factory alarm and it should disarm the compustar alarm as well. Since I HAVE one I could try it and see if it works that way but my truck is a 2003 and I thought yours was a 2002.

Also, with the remote you would just use the board in the controller. Use a relay and short out the buttons you need. To power it I would just have a power regulator providing the power to your power source that is compatible with a car system. So basically you would build a small board that has your relays and the voltage regulator that would allow you to perform your functions on the remote.

Also I assume your alarm allows you to have up to 4 remotes.

Ps, I use the Drone on my compustar system and it works pretty well. It is nice having my truck warm with warm seats when coming back from the college. The Drone is similar to the piece mentioned here. And the way I look at it if you are willing to spend many hundreds of dollars customizing your truck what is another $50-100 a year for the comfort you will get with one of these?  I am paying $50 a year for mine but I may decide to go to the $100 for the next year when this one expires simply because it will then give me GPS tracking and such.

Rodney

Back