• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

bowtie options ??????

yukonjack2

SM 2008
I just got a new to me 2005 wbh. Let the modding begin.
First was the nasty looking bowtie- gold was coming off inside
And look terrible.  After hours of pawing through pages n pages i came
To the conclusion of either paint or vinyl. I decided vinyl was easier and
Found an ebay seller for 2 gold sheets for cheap. 
I popped the clear front off the bowtie and half the paintand double side tape came off.
Now the issue is if i want the vinyl on the inside how do i get all the paint off that did stick? Ultasound unit possibly?  Solvent?
Or do i tape stick it back on and put the viny on the outside?  I think the inside would look cleaner, but may be way more difficulty to get right.

Thanx

you might want to reaserch plasti dip a little bit a can is about $8 here and heres a pic of my bow tie it will last 4-5 years in sunlight

I just did mine with Truck bedliner from a spray can- Taped off the painted area and removed the bowtie- It stays nice and black for a long time, and it really durable.
427d44ed-20e2-433d-89eb-296537b0674e_zpsc6ff8670.jpg

032_zps3a5e5cc0.jpg

GT_80 said:
I just did mine with Truck bedliner from a spray can- Taped off the painted area and removed the bowtie- It stays nice and black for a long time, and it really durable.
buy a can of plasti dip and a can of truck bed liner they literally have the same serial number on the bottom

I painted mine back in the day, then put a sticker on and cleared over the whole thing.  Not sure how it looks now, havent had the AV in a while

100_0907.jpg

Spray paint - the least expensive way to mod the bowtie and the easiest and least painful to re-do when you get the inevitable rock chip

Dakotawilk said:
buy a can of plasti dip and a can of truck bed liner they literally have the same serial number on the bottom

I thought plastidip was a vinyl product that is easily removable? Truck bedliner is nearly impossible to get off after it dries.

GT_80 said:
I thought plastidip was a vinyl product that is easily removable? Truck bedliner is nearly impossible to get off after it dries.

That would be correct, not sure what he was getting at with the serial # comment.

What I did was painted my badge cat yellow.. 650 grit then 1000 grit.. 3 coats then i picked up some 3M and put it on.. go to anywhere that does 3M and they would probably give you enough for free as they have plenty of scraps that would suffice for your needs.. when putting the 3m on just put a little soapy water in a spray bottle and peel off the 3m backing and spray it and the chevy badge. you can position it as you see fit then just card out the soapy water. with the edges it can be tricky what i did was use a hairdryer and heated up the edges and just press down the edge. PRESS DO NOT CARD. it will stick perfectly

I thought Plasti-dip sounded like the cheesiest mod ever...until I tried it.

Blacked out the emblems on my Hummer H3 and ran them that way for over 2 years through salted road winters, a hundred car washes including pressure wash and didn't have a single issue.

The beauty of it is that you can simply peel it off at any time if you want to go back to stock. If you'd happen to get a scratch in the stuff, it takes two minutes to touch up or peel off and re-spray. It really is a great option.

Just did the front bowtie on my Avalanche to see how it might look with a black billet replacement, but I think I'll just run with the dip as it has a nice satin contrast.

Just my .02  :cool:

PlastiDip is definitely the way to go. Easy, cheap, and durable mod that is easier to remove if you ever want. I ran black plasti dip on my front and back emblems for a while before I decided to get them painted white along with other stuff on my truck.

rubiconguy2 said:
Does anyone know where to find a fairway green bowtie?

All I've ever seen aftermarket is black.  Best bet is to get the paint and DIY.  You could probably get a paint shop to do it, but they probably charge a lot for such a small piece and a specific color.

I added a metal star on my bowtie, painted everything black and added torx bolts along the front...here's an older pic. Right now you can't even see my bowtie because of my grill guard.

Attachments

• mybowtie.jpg
    mybowtie.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 159
Back