• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Is GM bringing the Avalanche back?

Supercharger

SM 2005
Got an email from my broker today. He's hearing rumblings of the possibility of GM bringing the AV back and asked if I had any info. Anyone got any info or is this just another tease from GM?

Supercharger said:
Got an email from my broker today. He's hearing rumblings of the possibility of GM bringing the AV back and asked if I had any info. Anyone got any info or is this just another tease from GM?

They just did away with it last year. Check back to this thread in 8-10 years.

Holy cARp, Supercharger! - - - - Eric LIVES! Heh.

WHEN are you gonna buy a good used Av? TIME'S A-WASTIN'!

I'd forget about GM bringing it back. Doesn't make sense that they would; especially since it was just discontinued. There are not literally hundreds of thousands or millions of folks screaming at GM to do this, so it is not going to happen. It wasn't the greatest base of GM business either.

P.S. If you have a BROKER  (  (y)  ) then you should have the funds.  ;)

{Finding an Av is your latest assigned task.}

:B:

I've been looking for an Avy. I need to cruise the retirement homes for a nice low mileage unit. Unfortunately, though I have a broker, the money is tied up in a trust and I can't get at it till I'm 65. However I might be able to get a loan if it's a really nice one. I was hoping they'd bring them back. I'd get one with the 6.2L engine and put another supercharger on it like the one I had. Only this one would have 500HP. See you're already making my mouth water with anticipation!

Don't forget to pick up a Truck Trader free magazine at your local INconvenience store . . .

. . . . sold my other Av in 3 days through that rag . . .

. . . maybe there is a good one for sale there . . .

:B:

Good used ones are out there.  I just bought an 07 with 20k miles on it.  Love this thing.

Unfortunately I'm looking for an 02-06 Av. There's more room in those than the 07-13 and I like the looks better. More aggressive/truck like. Finding one of those with low miles will be difficult but I'm up to the challenge!

And the last two posts are why GM will not be bringing the Avalanche back.....there are plenty of avid Avy buyers out there but not ones willing to pay 45K+ for a new one. GM only cares about sales figures for new ones not popularity or sales figures for used ones and fleet mileage so when new sales numbers drop to an amount insufficient to warrant a redesign or dedicated plant......goodbye make or model.

But a popular model nameplate never dies, e.g. 50's Impala and 60's Malibu although the new ones are nothing of their RWD former selves. The Avalanche nameplate is merely cooling off.....look for a comeback on a tarted up Colorado/Canyon chassis.

That just proves what a mistake GM made when they changed the body style on the 07-13 models. They made the interiors smaller, did a poor job of dashboard design, pulled in the sides of the truck which substantially cut shoulder room and gave it an understated exterior. Now if they gave the new one the new Silverado LTZ grille and put more room in I'd be on it like stink on poop. When the average new car costs over 30K, 45K doesn't sound so bad. The average truck with the same equipment as the AV had is easily 40-45K these days so I guess you have to compare it to it's competition.

Supercharger said:
Unfortunately I'm looking for an 02-06 Av. There's more room in those than the 07-13 and I like the looks better. More aggressive/truck like.

Interesting comment.....I owned a 2004 AV and was able to buy a 2008 AV when my family took it for a test ride and we believed the 2008 had more interior space for the front seat especially in the leg area.(no parking brake lever to my shin all the time and more legroom for passenger foot movement.) Door handles in front also easier to reach for large people. I found it easier to read the gauges and DIC in the 2008. Also liked the opening to the rear of the center console in the 2008 vs. the side opening console in the 2004. Looks can be a subjective thing but I agree that the first generation AVs were more truck like and the second generation was more SUV like.....what were they thinking of a Z71 with so much plastic under front bumper in 2008?
I have said many times that the AV is the Swiss Army Knife of trucks and that is good for those of us who can appreciate it's versatility but if you are a single purpose vehicle owner (concerned with towing only etc.) then the AV might not sell well. It is also hard for GM to market in the auto press or TV shows when they try to find the best pickup or suv then the AV tends to get left out so it gets limited press exposure. Then you have dealerships who don't fully study their product and when preordering vehicles they only get a couple of AVs on a lot vs. many Silverados for customers to choose from so again low exposure and the unknowing customer thinks the AV is just an expensive Silverado so they choose a Silverado for the expense savings.

When I went to the dealer to look for a truck I thought the AV was just an expensive Silverado. But when I looked at them I really liked that they had coil springs in the rear as opposed to leaf springs and disc brakes as opposed to drums. When I priced them out the Avalanche was only about a grand more but the rebate at the time more than covered the difference. I also liked  the fact that it would fit in my garage, something the crew cab pickup wouldn't do. So I bought it. Best purchase I ever made. I currently drive a pickup but wish they would bring back the Av.

Supercharger said:
That just proves what a mistake GM made when they changed the body style on the 07-13 models. They made the interiors smaller, did a poor job of dashboard design, pulled in the sides of the truck which substantially cut shoulder room and gave it an understated exterior.

Yup. Supercharger you are correct. Not to mention the rather well known increase of mechanical issues starting with the post-06 models. That alone drove me to search for an 02 when I was in the market for buying a second one instead of a getting a newer one. These things got soccer mom'd more and more as the years went by.

:laugh:

Oh oh, here comes the the flood of argumentative responses . . . . won't change my mind

So . . . how is your search going so far?

I picked up some items from my dealer for Nationals and while I was there he mentioned that the rumblings making their rounds about a 2016 Avalanche 're-introduction'...he said from a very reliable source.

Guess we'll see late next year!

02 Northface.....The search continues. I found a few that fit my criteria. One was sold and the other the owner was asking waaayyyy too much and wouldn't budge on price. He thought just because Chevy discontinued them he could ask a hefty premium. Good luck to him. Reality will bring him out of his fantasy world soon enough. But I keep looking.

The new SUVs are selling fast. I imagine the Avalanche would be too, if it were still around.

General Motors says its premier performance car, the Chevrolet Corvette, and its biggest SUVs, including the new Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Tahoe, won't stay on lots.

"Every one we get, we're selling," says Inder Dosanjh, a GM dealer in Dublin, Calif. "No rebates, no special leases, not even $100 off the car." Some barely touch pavement. Dosanjh says he has pre-sold all the Escalades that he has been able to snag.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/08/13/car-shortage-july-sales/13962521/

Selling $71k+ Escalades at no discount before they even come off the hauler? Wow. This and Disney vacations are where all the consumer spending is going I guess.

Supercharger said:
That just proves what a mistake GM made when they changed the body style on the 07-13 models. They made the interiors smaller, did a poor job of dashboard design, pulled in the sides of the truck which substantially cut shoulder room and gave it an understated exterior. Now if they gave the new one the new Silverado LTZ grille and put more room in I'd be on it like stink on poop. When the average new car costs over 30K, 45K doesn't sound so bad. The average truck with the same equipment as the AV had is easily 40-45K these days so I guess you have to compare it to it's competition.

I would have to disagree with you on this.  I like the outside looks on both gens but the 07-13's I like the interiors much better.  I like my dashboard in my 08.  Before I bought mine we test drove a low milage 05 but like the interior better on the 08.  I think the dashboard inside the 05 we drove look like something from the 80's.  But everyone has there likes and dislikes.  One thing for sure I would drive either gen before I would just any regular truck.

Yep and Cadillac never had a VP named Roberto Fairy (as in fairy tale). The current VP for  Global Public Policy is Robert Ferguson. I'm assuming he messed with the name.
Then we have General Motors Product Chief Marcus Aurelius. LOL good one. Marcus Aurelius was born April 26, 121 AD in  Rome and died: March 17, 180 AD. Long before GM  and cars for that matter was even thought of. That is unless GM had a chariot division I am unaware of

This guy was good. He really put an effort into fooling folks.  :laugh:

While I was laughing after noticing the date I also want to shoot the b!@#$rd's knee caps off. Maybe next time he will think twice before yanking our chains.

Back