• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replace 05 WBH rear bumper with cladded reinforcement/ silverado bumper

Superbee383

SM 2008
SM 2007
Has anyone tried this yet? I recently offed my 08 LTZ and bought an 05 WBH.

Problem:  The rear bumper is damaged, and as I'm constantly in and out of the bed, it would be great to have the corner steps that the cladded bumper have.  The WBH bumper is shorter on the corners than the Silverado bumper, and it's a major pain in the rear to try to get into the bed of the Av while stepping up on the very small top of the bumper that's left exposed while the tailgate is down.

Solution:  I bought a cladded reinforecment, which is essentially a black primered Silverado bumper with the cutouts on the corners. I also bought the three piece silverado pad kit, and I'm going to have the bumper chromed, which will leave the cutouts exposed.  The plan was to Linex the cutouts until the material filled most of the uneven areas.  Thoughts??

Attachments

• $_12 (2).JPG
    $_12 (2).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 155
I really like the utilitarian layout of the first gen Av. I had my 08 for 3 years, and it was more refined but less fun to drive. Living in Chicago, I got really tired of tearing the front valance off the truck when it snowed, and having to pull the front bumper cover to change a headlight.

Superbee383 said:
I really like the utilitarian layout of the first gen Av. I had my 08 for 3 years, and it was more refined but less fun to drive. Living in Chicago, I got really tired of tearing the front valance off the truck when it snowed, and having to pull the front bumper cover to change a headlight.
AH perfectly understandable.. i love my o5 just for that reason.. i can change the headlights in 2 min.. my moms 07 tahoe takes 2 hours

That looks good.

BooomerX said:
That turned out nice! How about posting up the part numbers you used.

Reinforcement is #GM1106559, http://www.ebay.com/itm/380916790045?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pad kit is aftermarket I found on Ebay for 99-06 SILVERADO 1500 2500 http://www.ebay.com/itm/261019496856?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had the reinforcement painted, and had the steps on the corners sprayed with Linex.

Back