• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

6.2L L92 Modification and Swap into 2008 Avalanche

AtomicVette

Okay, so about a month ago (at 150Kmiles) the 5.3 in my 2008 LTZ 4x4 decided to give up the ghost.  I had a 6.2L in my garage that I had planned on putting into the Avalanche at some point, so it kind of forced my had.  So the following posts will be progress and pictures of the project.

The 60K mile 6.2L out of an Escalade:

l92.jpg

l921.jpg

l922.jpg

Good luck. Lots of work ahead of you. I believe there are some threads found in "Search" where other members have done this and would be good to review before starting. Kind of like reading all assembly instructions for a kid's toy like the manufacturer recommends. But who does that. Real men don't do that. LOL!

Most of the parts that will be going back in:

Yank 2600 Truck Thruster
ARP Head Bolts
PaceSetter Long Tube Headers
PaceSetter Off Road Y-Pipe
parts.jpg

LS7 Lifters
LS3 Valley Cover (PCV System)
1.8 Yellaterra rockers
Dual Springs
Vinci Performance Cam
Titanium Retainers
VVT Delete
DOD Delete

parts2.jpg

as the owner of an atomic orange z06 that is looking to get an orange avalanche... you are my hero! This looks like an awesome swap too!

Went to get a timing chain, figured since it was down this far may as well put one in.. So hopefully more pics soon

Good idea since it's apart.

Other than Deleting the VVT and DOD yes, it's pretty much drop in. I'll have it tuned and should be good to go!

Made a little progress tonight. The garage helper did most of the work.

Cam with ARP bolts

Made a little progress tonight. The garage helper did most of the work.

Cam with ARP bolts

VinciCam.jpg

Torquing the cam bolts

CamBolts2.jpg

CamBolts3.jpg

Cleaned up the pistons and block

cleaned.jpg

CamBolts.jpg

Torquing the cam bolts

CamBolts2.jpg

CamBolts3.jpg

Cleaned up the pistons and block

cleaned.jpg

Looks like it's coming together nicely. (y)

Thanks for sharing the pics of your helper engine!  Looks like she's a keeper!

I know what a huge fan you are of the SOM/Atomic Orange.
Not sure if you were aware of G2 Epoxy Paint and the fact that they will mix custom colors for their Epoxy Brake Kits as well as their Epoxy Engine Kits.  (y)

I have used their Epoxy Brake Kit on mine and cannot say enough good things about it!!! It is a self levelling brush on, 2 part epoxy that is extremely durable, easy to use, and just plain looks AVesome!!

The brake and engine kits come in 11 colors and they can color match to any factory paint code!!!
standardcolorchart.jpg

http://www.g2usa.com/product/G45.html[/b]]http://www.g2usa.com/product/G45.html

ENGINE KIT
eng-set-03.jpg

71challenger2.jpg

BRAKE KIT
G2Kit_350x300.jpg

CBCP-0077-2_900x602.jpg

I just noticed your Profile Signature Pic recently changed...

3orangesig.gif

One of these is not like the others!!

This would be a good time to get a new water pump and gasket as well.  At 60K miles, you're approaching the change point, and you have it apart and on a stand anyway...couldn't be easier. 

Nice job and thanks for sharing  (y)

ms38w said:
This would be a good time to get a new water pump and gasket as well.  At 60K miles, you're approaching the change point

I dunno - got about 280,000 miles on my pump before replacing it this summer...

Thanks guys!

That paint looks cool! I was just thinking about what color to paint the engine.
Haha, I figured the Mercedes could be blue since It wasn't a GM product.

Back