• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Water in smoothie CMHSL

Thomcat

SM 2013
Both my Avy's have smooth sails and the LED center mounted high stop lamp. Each has had the lamp replaced twice by the dealer because of water entry. Vehicles have never been through a carwash and there is no water entry when parked even during a driving rain Seems the water enters if the vehicle is driven at 65 right after being parked.....not a lot of water but just enough that the tine droplets can be seen inside the reflector.

I gave up after the second replacement on each, done by different dealers......... I believe it to be a design defect and likely can't be fixed and little likelihood of a part redesign on a discontinued part/vehicle. Funny thing is if the vehicle is parked ass end facing the Sun for a few days the droplets soon turn to a mist which upon continued exposure to heat will disappear. Never affected the function of the lights but I wonder if others have had this problem. If not I'll roll the dice again for a fourth under warranty.

My 2013 is the same. I've only had this truck for about two months but there has been condensation in there since I got it.

Dealer just installed the fifth 3 ft. long LED CMHSL in my '13 under warranty with still a few months to go......has to be a manufacturing or design defect and no corrected retrofits since the long LED light was only standard on the '13s and optional on the '12s and GM isn't about to correct a defect on a discontinued model/part. Mine isn't the only one, saw many a '13 in a parking lot with condensate/water intrusion.

Should be due for another in Dec-Jan depending upon the how often it rains/snows.......At well over $500. a pop, told Chevy would balk at another without investigation, but said I wasn't planning to invoke the lemon law since the vehicle has barely 7K miles and there is nothing better to replace it.

Back