• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Unknown options?

preotic

I was attempting to back out of my buddys garage,  my buddy who works as a tech at a chevy dealership told me to hold on before I rip my mirrors off.  He then proceded to show me my power folding mirrors.  I bought the avy used and was not aware of this option.  What are some options on your avy you weren't immediately aware off?

There's already a thread about this:

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,97501.0.html

^ Thanks for the reply, but as far as I can tell that thread is 07+ hence it's in the 07+ zone.  I own an 04 and I placed this in the 02-06 zone.  I read four pages of that thread and one option they discuss concerns my avy.

Yeah, I learned about the mirrors by accident. Another thing I learned but seems to be a pain in my ass is that you can set the seats to adjust to the driver by which key fob you use. I'm driver one, but it keeps switching to driver 2. I don't know how to set it to driver 1. I also have a switch in the fuse box that I'm not sure what is for.

Willow LS said:
Yeah, I learned about the mirrors by accident. Another thing I learned but seems to be a pain in my ass is that you can set the seats to adjust to the driver by which key fob you use. I'm driver one, but it keeps switching to driver 2. I don't know how to set it to driver 1. I also have a switch in the fuse box that I'm not sure what is for.

Do you have two fobs?

The driver # is selected by which fob you use to open the door locks.

If you have two fobs and you are not sure which is which (if you have the fobs with the number on the back they could have been reprogramed at some point in the past making the number on the back of the fob invalid. My fobs are both replacement fobs and have no numbers on them at all), you can always reprogram them to your truck.

The first fob you reprogram will be fob #1 (driver #1) and the second will be fob #2 (driver #2).

You can program up to four fobs but the third one you program will be driver #1 and the fourth one will be driver #2 since there are no drivers #3 or #4.

Make sure you have all of your fobs on hand when you reprogram since any fobs not programmed at this time will no longer work on your truck at all.

If you can't determine which fob you have is which, or if you only have one, in which case it may have been programed originally as fob number 2, I would look up the simple reprogramming procedure on this forum or the web and reprogram so you know what you have.

The fob determine the driver #, not the key.

You can program the buttons on the door for driver 1 or 2, but when you use the fob, that is the driver you are telling the truck you are.

So I can preset the seat and stuff for driver #2, but if I always open my doors with fob #1, then the truck will set up everything for driver #1.

Now my head is spinning.

:eek:

Lol, I had the idea that's what it was. But haven't had time to look it up yet. This truck is relatively new to me and it has a lot more features than my 02 had.

Well can you tell me what the switch is for in the fuse panel?

Not sure what that switch might be.

I am sure someone here knows.

Also, I based my post on the truck you had listed in your sig.

I had to go on a forum hunt to see if you still had a first gen truck and I now believe you are driving an '03, correct?

If so, my post should still apply.

If you are in an second gen, then an owner of one of those will need to respond to the fob question.

May be the same, may not.

I wouldn't know.

Might want to update you sig to reflect your current truck so you can get good replies to your questions.

(y)

Yeah good point I will fix the sig, I totally forgot about that, but yeah I drive an 03 now.  :laugh: you know what, when I get home tonight I will get a picture of it and see if anybody knows.  When I bought this truck it already had the ambers in it and non-stock 20" chevy rims, so maybe someone here in MO from this forum owned it before me.  They might be able to give me a little history.

I just found out about the power mirrors folding on accident myself a couple years ago, noticed the switch lit up and wondered what the symbol was, so u pressed it, and wow that was a welcomed surprise. Especially now that I added a garage door in my workshop I realized that the only way to squeeze the avy in there was to fold the mirrors. I also just realized this year (third year owning it) that thise little lights up in the overhead console swivel to adjust the angle they point.

Also I just found where thejack is hidden a few weeks ago also. All this time I just figured that the last owner kept it. I didnt know it was hidden under the trim under the back seat.

Can you do me a favor and take a picture of how that stuff is supposed to look?  Mine is loose under the seat. and just flops around so its now in the saddle bag.

Hey! i'm a new owner and found out about the mirrors from reading this!! thanks!
Question... I have a light at the bottom of my dash next to the Parking brake release... I looked through the manual but cant find any mention of it... searched here but its a hard search since i don't know what to call it...And I can't post pictures yet... I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me what its for, thanks in advance.
2005 Avalanche 1500 Z71, No cladding
-Jim

Its a black plastic square about 1/2 inch and a small light in the middle, maybe 1/4 inch round...

I had my Av for over a year before I realized it had rear seat audio... Which it doesn't anymore because I stripped all the factory Bose stuff out and installed aftermarket stuff.

These power folding mirrors, do they all have that? Mine is a 2004 Z71 and fairly loaded, but not fully loaded (it has leather but no sunroof). Where is the switch for it, if it has it?

On a similar note, I had a 1999 VW TDI Jetta for a daily driver when I was commuting 12 miles a day, and the truck lock cylinder was seized so I used to get into the trunk by folding the rear seat down. It wasn't until the day I wrecked it that I found the power trunk button in the center console...

The mirror adjustment button performs double duty. when the mirror selector rocker is in the center position the adjustment button will fold/unfold the mirrors

Not an advertised option, but a cool feature. The "whiskey barrel" otherwise known as the space under the front center console cup holders is a great place to tuck away valuables.  With a little practice and/or tweaking - that piece pops right up and out of the way for access.  I've hidden my iPad, my wife's pocket book, kids iPods and a few other items in there.  Totally inconspicuous and actually a sizable storage place.

wuan2000 said:
Not an advertised option, but a cool feature. The "whiskey barrel" otherwise known as the space under the front center console cup holders is a great place to tuck away valuables.  With a little practice and/or tweaking - that piece pops right up and out of the way for access.  I've hidden my iPad, my wife's pocket book, kids iPods and a few other items in there.  Totally inconspicuous and actually a sizable storage place.
That area has been discussed quite a lot in another thread and things have been brought up about it might pass casual observation or be missed by a thief in a hurry but overall it's not as secure an area as you might think.......many thieves know about that area and on the other side of the coin so do most cops so the best option for securing valuables is to use a Console Vault if items are not on the person.....
http://www.consolevault.com/

As far as unknown options I don't think I have that issue since I am the type to thoroughly read my owners manual when I first get a vehicle and push every button I can. I also try not to buy used so I don't have to guess about mods the first owner may have done to add extra buttons and knobs. (I have to admit though last year I bought a 1947 Chevy restomod and am learning about it all the time and it's hard to track down it's history.)

Vaeagleav said:
That area has been discussed quite a lot in another thread and things have been brought up about it might pass casual observation or be missed by a thief in a hurry but overall it's not as secure an area as you might think.......many thieves know about that area and on the other side of the coin so do most cops so the best option for securing valuables is to use a Console Vault if items are not on the person.....
http://www.consolevault.com/

Never said it was a secret; rather an unknown "option" for some people - just like the folding mirrors, numbered key fobs/seat settings, etc. being discussed here.  

To your point, a passer-by with a curious eye may not be as enticed to break into a vehicle if there is nothing on display.  This space is a little more effective than shoving something under a seat or covering an item with a jacket.  Hence...an unknown "option" for anyone that previously may not have known about it. (Using the term "option" loosely here).

Onward.

I agree with you wuan2000,
It is far better to hide items from outside view than to leave them exposed and entice a thief.  The reason for my comment and suggestion of a vault was to help some owners look at a "more secure" way to secure their valuables like the iPods and purse that you mention. Just would hate to see someone post later that they were victim of a theft because they considered it a secure method of storage because they were thinking like an honest person not like the criminal that would possibly target them.

jim5six said:
Its a black plastic square about 1/2 inch and a small light in the middle, maybe 1/4 inch round...

It maybe a aftermarket alarm, do you have dual batteries in it.

MS03 2500 said:
It maybe a aftermarket alarm, do you have dual batteries in it.

Thanks for the help. It doesn't feel like its aftermarket... but obviously i need to spend more time getting to know my new rig. I was hoping it was a simple thing. I'll get in there this weekend and figure it out when i upgrade the stereo. thanks again for the effort!

Vaeagleav said:
I agree with you wuan2000,
It is far better to hide items from outside view than to leave them exposed and entice a thief.  The reason for my comment and suggestion of a vault was to help some owners look at a "more secure" way to secure their valuables like the iPods and purse that you mention. Just would hate to see someone post later that they were victim of a theft because they considered it a secure method of storage because they were thinking like an honest person not like the criminal that would possibly target them.

Roger that!  (y)

You made a great suggestion on the vault. We're on the same page.

preotic said:
I was attempting to back out of my buddys garage,  my buddy who works as a tech at a chevy dealership told me to hold on before I rip my mirrors off.  He then proceded to show me my power folding mirrors.  I bought the avy used and was not aware of this option.  What are some options on your avy you weren't immediately aware off?
In addition to the outside mirrors and driver seat position settings, the radio and Climate Control (if you have automatic climate control) settings are remembered separately for each driver.  Each driver can program their own stations and set the A/C-Heater temperature, and it is remembered and what it was last set at.  With the steering wheel controls you can have it do all of the adjustments when you use the fob, or only when the button on the door is pressed.  There is an exit setting which you can activate or not which will adjust the seat farther back when you put the transmission in park to make it easier to enter and exit the truck.
I discovered accidentally that if you use the other fob while driving, it will change the climate and radio settings, but not the mirrors or seat.
Also through the steering wheel controls you can activate a reverse setting (think it is called curb alert or such) so that when the transmission is placed in reverse the outside mirrors will angle downward to allow you to better see how close the rear tire is to the curb.

To change the driver settings.  While ignition key is on, while stopped in park, press and hold the button on the door until it beeps twice, then release.

If the mirrors get manually folded and won't return to the correct open position, then cycle through the electric fold and open a couple of times, it should straighten it out.

jim5six said:
Thanks for the help. It doesn't feel like its aftermarket... but obviously i need to spend more time getting to know my new rig. I was hoping it was a simple thing. I'll get in there this weekend and figure it out when i upgrade the stereo. thanks again for the effort!

I figured out the light at the bottom of my dash is for the KARR dealer installed alarm system. In case anyone was wondering...

Back